• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have an idea....

As I am preparing to celebrate the winter holidays with family, I have been thinking about plans for the new year.

I have been very involved with organized religion for a long time, specifically the UCC, a liberal protestant denomination. A few years ago, I decided on a sabbatical and pulled way back, attending worship sporadically, visiting congregations of other denominations, but mostly reading, writing and thinking about what the next step in my spiritual life will be. I am ready to end my sabbatical.

Now, I have not abandoned spirituality and religion. I am not angry or bitter about the church; I have not left the church. I have just decided that I need a different type of religious experience at this time in my life. My family remains very involved in UCC churches and social action. My own work has kept me working with poor, mentally ill and imprisoned women and has enriched my spiritual life. But the church/religious community part has been missing.

I plan to take baby steps as I connect with a spiritual community, careful not get involved in committee work, teach Sunday school, bake cookies. Been there, done that! I'm not sure just what I am looking for, but I have a feeling that I will know it when I see it.

So, I will be returning to the local UU church, slowly and carefully, thinking not only about what the congregation can offer me, but what I can bring to the world by participating in a religious community.

Wish me luck; I will keep you posted here!

Wishing you light, warmth and love!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Returning to UU? My advice: keep alert, watch your back --
they're a sneaky and devious lot. You could find yourself on a committee before you even realize it.
wink.gif

Returning to UU? My advice: keep alert, watch your back --
they're a sneaky and devious lot. You could find yourself on a committee before you even realize it.
wink.gif
They don't know who they're dealing with! I've been roped into committees by the best of them! Repeat to self: I will not volunteer for a committee, I will not volunteer for a committee, I will not volunteer for a committee.....

applewuud

UU and UCC are both descended in America from the Pilgrims and Puritans. A UU minister once said that the pilgrims were seekers looking for a new religion, and to that extent became Unitarians. In most of New England, there are two churches on the common, a UCC and a UU: the Congregationalists and Unitarians split from one congregation.

Having weathered that split, they are awfully similar socially, although most UU churches don't use Christian or Jesus references very much. And the joke is that UCC stands for "Unitarians Considering Christ". There was some talk about combining seminaries in the past few years.

So, please share your experiences here, it will be interesting for us. And you have permission to refuse to join any committee!

Last edited:
UU and UCC are both descended in America from the Pilgrims and Puritans. A UU minister once said that the pilgrims were seekers looking for a new religion, and to that extent became Unitarians. In most of New England, there are two churches on the common, a UCC and a UU: the Congregationalists and Unitarians split from one congregation.

Having weathered that split, they are awfully similar socially, although most UU churches don't use Christian or Jesus references very much. And the joke is that UCC stands for "Unitarians Considering Christ". There was some talk about combining seminaries in the past few years.

So, please share your experiences here, it will be interesting for us. And you have permission to refuse to join any committee!
I think your summary of the UCC/UU evolution in America is right on target. In a nearby town, the Trinitarian Congregational Church is across the street from the First Unitarian Church. I've always found it to be interesting that each maintained their theological point of view so distinctly in their names. Typical stuff for strong-minded New Englanders! The area including parts of northcentral Mass and southwest NH was a real hotbed for the separation and definitions of these two faith traditions. They really are first cousins. I will keep you posted on my reconnection!

As I am preparing to celebrate the winter holidays with family, I have been thinking about plans for the new year.

I have been very involved with organized religion for a long time, specifically the UCC, a liberal protestant denomination. A few years ago, I decided on a sabbatical and pulled way back, attending worship sporadically, visiting congregations of other denominations, but mostly reading, writing and thinking about what the next step in my spiritual life will be. I am ready to end my sabbatical.

Now, I have not abandoned spirituality and religion. I am not angry or bitter about the church; I have not left the church. I have just decided that I need a different type of religious experience at this time in my life. My family remains very involved in UCC churches and social action. My own work has kept me working with poor, mentally ill and imprisoned women and has enriched my spiritual life. But the church/religious community part has been missing.

I plan to take baby steps as I connect with a spiritual community, careful not get involved in committee work, teach Sunday school, bake cookies. Been there, done that! I'm not sure just what I am looking for, but I have a feeling that I will know it when I see it.

So, I will be returning to the local UU church, slowly and carefully, thinking not only about what the congregation can offer me, but what I can bring to the world by participating in a religious community.

Wish me luck; I will keep you posted here!

Wishing you light, warmth and love!
Update: So, since posting my idea about returning to church, I have selected a congregation and on 3 Sundays I have made plans to attend their service. Each time, there has been a major snow storm or blizzard that has cancelled the service or closed the roads. I have not yet made it to church. Is there a message here?