• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have also posted this in the Islam DIR but would appreciate constructive input from others

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I have in the past come to the brink of reversion to Islam. But I stopped short.
I have had some experiences which I can only account for through God/Allah.

The writing of Tariq Ramadan appeals greatly to me. My vision of Islam, which I have gleaned in the main from Ramadan, is one of peace, tolerance and respect for minorities.
Inherently I am a very liberal person and this is something that I don't imagine will ever change, I believe in equal rights for gay people, and am pro-choice, I don't drink or take drugs but believe that they should be freely and legally available to anyone who wants them etc etc. I believe implicitly in non-violence. I do not have many heroes but Badshah Khan is one. If there was a Muslim I aspired to emulate it would be him.

I have been reading around Islam again of late and I am drawn to it. Given my liberal outlook, what do you think?
Am I barking up the right or the wrong tree?

[I have also been reading around Universal Sufism of late - perhaps that is a better direction for me?]

Thanks in advance,
SW

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't know much about Sufism, but I would encourage you to look into it anyway. A couple of independent sources lead me into believing that it is quite worthwhile, and more than a little bit similar to your mindset (which, btw, I consider quite wise in the religious sense).

Whatever you decide, your love for Islam is quite evident. I wouldn't advise you to try and ignore it at this point in time. Best of luck :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
if you held your current views and lived as a muslim in a muslim land, you wouldnt be free to hold such views publicly.

you may find yourself living a double life which is never going to be easy... unless of course you bring your beliefs into harmony with the teachings of the religion, i doubt you'd ever be trully happy in the religion.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot contribute without knowing more.
What particular or unique aspects of Islam draw you to it that you do not find in your Christianity or other faiths?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why not just believe that which you believe, without adopting some additional dogma to impose upon yourself?
To not have a label ain't so bad.

sirat

I have in the past come to the brink of reversion to Islam. But I stopped short.

The writing of Tariq Ramadan appeals greatly to me. My vision of Islam, which I have gleaned in the main from Ramadan, is one of peace, tolerance and respect for minorities.
Inherently I am a very liberal person and this is something that I don't imagine will ever change, I believe in equal rights for gay people, and am pro-choice, I don't drink or take drugs but believe that they should be freely and legally available to anyone who wants them etc etc. I believe implicitly in non-violence. I do not have many heroes but Badshah Khan is one. If there was a Muslim I aspired to emulate it would be him.

I have been reading around Islam again of late and I am drawn to it. Given my liberal outlook, what do you think?

[I have also been reading around Universal Sufism of late - perhaps that is a better direction for me?]

Thanks in advance,
SW

salaam friend,

When it is time to search it is important to be a good searcher. The stories of Majnun and Laili are very useful to some to help understand the nature of search.

If you would seek to know a little of sufism, you will soon find that that search itself requires preparation. Perhaps you will find some of that preparation in the introductory writings of one such as Idries Shah (may his work be found acceptable). If you read his writings, or the writings of any sufi, please do not look at the faces. Instead, take what is in the hand.

Why do we search? I was a hidden Treasure and I wished to be known. What you find in yourself, those things, those beliefs, they are there for a reason.

wa salaam

sirat

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I don't know much about Sufism, but I would encourage you to look into it anyway. A couple of independent sources lead me into believing that it is quite worthwhile, and more than a little bit similar to your mindset (which, btw, I consider quite wise in the religious sense).

I was thinking the same. :)

BruceDLimber

By way of comparison, you might want to check out the Baha'i Faith, which has roots in Islam but is far more modern and accepting of others (Islam included)! :)

You can learn about it here:

http://www.bahai.org

Best regards! :)

Bruce

lunamoth

Will to love

Thanks in advance,
SW
Hi stephen, the one thing I would wonder about are the consequences of leaving Islam, should you convert and then later change your mind. Maybe it's no big deal, but I would want to know for sure before becoming a Muslim.

2c

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You have doubts for good reasons. Pay attention to them.
Perhaps you need to expand your thinking a tad, my friend. Don't sell yourself short. :)

I can understand why people would see his working as being appealing. He makes Islam sound so cozy and warm. I'd be inclined to look at the fine print before signing on the dotted line.

Last edited:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
You can also account for those experiences through Agnosticism and Atheism...and many other sets of believes.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thanks in advance,
SW
How do you view the Qur'an?

Do you view it as a book that contains literal revelation from god? Is it a text that you would feel comfortable saying that you fully support and believe in, or would you have reservations?

Thanks in advance,
SW

I would read, investigate and study.

Whatever you believe, however you believe, the ultimate basis of being a Muslim is a) the Qur'an as the Book of God, and b) Muhammad is the Messenger of God. Anything else is extra.

There are so many kinds of Muslims out there, both progressive and liberal, and conservative and staunchly fundamentalist. Living in Canada, I've had the blessing of meeting a variety of Muslims, from a Sunni, Shia, Ahmadi, and Ismaili, and although not yet, Qur'an Alone is a very intriguing movement within Islam.

Sufism is not really a school of thought (indeed, one can practice tassawuf and adhere to any of the schools or denominations of Islam), but has some valuable things to teach on the inner meanings of the Qur'an. Muhammad the Prophet Himself was the original Sufi, who meditated and received Revelation both within and without from God's Inspiration.

Learn to do your salat, your prayers... study the Qur'an in English, and listen to it in Arabic. Listen to beautiful nasheeds and songs. Visit the closest organisation or fair of where you will meet progressively minded Muslims as well. You will discover a breath of fresh air of Islam that many people have not even discovered...

Alongside the Qur'an, I think you may be interested in the Hadith Qudsi.

As much as I have personally rejected the hadith as historically accurate and applicable to the Prophet, I still take the nice ones for inspiration. The Hadith Qudsi were apparently meditations given by God to the Prophet Himself.

"O Son of Adam, so long as thou callest upon Me and askest of Me, I shall forgive thee for what thou hast done, and I shall mind not. O Son of Adam, were thy sins to reach the clouds of the sky and wert thou then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive thee. O Son of Adam, wert thou to come unto Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and wert thou then to face Me, ascribing no partner unto Me, I would bring thee forgiveness nearly as great as it."

-- Hadith Qudsi 34

May your journey through Islam be guided by the One True God, exalted be His glory, and may you find peace and blessings with your Lord. :D

[youtube]QCdG6HY6kBU[/youtube]
YouTube - Surah Al-Inshirah [94] - Mishary Rashid al-`Afasy

"Have We not caused thy bosom to dilate,
And eased thee of the burden
Which weighed down thy back;
And exalted thy fame?
But lo! with hardship goeth ease,
Lo! with hardship goeth ease;
So when thou art relieved, still toil
And strive to please thy Lord.
"

-- Al-Inshirah (the Expansion), 94

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps you need to expand your thinking a tad, my friend. Don't sell yourself short. :)

I can understand why people would see his working as being appealing. He makes Islam sound so cozy and warm. I'd be inclined to look at the fine print before signing on the dotted line.

As a Muslim, I surprisingly agree with most of this. I know you have now accepted Islam, and I wish you well on your spiritual journey. My advice to you is to be picky...and I mean VERY picky, from whom you seek advice about lifestyle choices, etc. As a new Muslim, you need someone who can help you understand the basics (worry about the little things later), and they can guide you.

A problem is (and it's getting better as more Muslims are born in the US/2nd generation) is cultural influence. Islam is a way of life, but many can't let the cultural restraints go, which in turn hinders their progress.

Islam is not stagnant, nor was it intended to be. The struggle people have is holding onto ancient principles and not adapting them to today's environment. That's where scholars like Tariq Ramadan and Hamza Yusuf excel, and are often criticized by the old-school types.

Diving in to all the rules/limitations leads to burn-out. Take it super slow, there's no rush.

Islam is individual too; pick your masjid carefully. Go to a few khutbas and listen before you frequent a masjid or pick a scholar. :)

A few thoughts from a US-born Muslim with a very diverse background. :D

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
As a Muslim, I surprisingly agree with most of this. I know you have now accepted Islam, and I wish you well on your spiritual journey. My advice to you is to be picky...and I mean VERY picky, from whom you seek advice about lifestyle choices, etc. As a new Muslim, you need someone who can help you understand the basics (worry about the little things later), and they can guide you.

A problem is (and it's getting better as more Muslims are born in the US/2nd generation) is cultural influence. Islam is a way of life, but many can't let the cultural restraints go, which in turn hinders their progress.

Islam is not stagnant, nor was it intended to be. The struggle people have is holding onto ancient principles and not adapting them to today's environment. That's where scholars like Tariq Ramadan and Hamza Yusuf excel, and are often criticized by the old-school types.

Diving in to all the rules/limitations leads to burn-out. Take it super slow, there's no rush.

Islam is individual too; pick your masjid carefully. Go to a few khutbas and listen before you frequent a masjid or pick a scholar. :)

A few thoughts from a US-born Muslim with a very diverse background. :D
Thanks ssainhu,

I appreciate your advice. I think you're spot on as regards seperating culture out from Islam. I see you've metionaed Tariq Ramadan, I am very taken with what he has to say.
I also agree as regards taking it slowly - I imagine this is a 40 year job not a 40 week one :)

Why not just believe that which you believe, without adopting some additional dogma to impose upon yourself?
To not have a label ain't so bad.
I was thinking the same thing. Peace, respect for minorities, equal rights for all ... why does any religion need to be added to this picture?

That's just my view.... but in any case, I'm happy for you stephen that you are discovering who you are and what you believe.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

Hi Ymir,

Cozy and warm is what I find there.
I'll be sure to keep you informed of my progress!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Badshah Khan is one thing, Islam is another. Just like Jesus is one thing, Christianity is another. Or the Buddha is one thing, Buddhism is another. Religions are never as good as some of their adherents, Stephen.

Badshah Khan is one thing, Islam is another. Just like Jesus is one thing, Christianity is another. Or the Buddha is one thing, Buddhism is another. Religions are never as good as some of their adherents, Stephen.

And people like Stephen show that Islam as a conception can be a wonderful thing as well. Some adherents are not so good, and some of them can be good as well. :D