• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Have A Theory On Homosexuality

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
LOL, that's cute. I told my mother when I was 22, she was ok with it after awhile, she even went to PFLAG meetings for awhile. My father, who is a Methodist minister, said I would not inherit the "kingdom of god" unless I repented. To each his own, I guess.

I side with your mom on this one - the fate of your eternal soul is something that is between you and God alone.

Francis

UBER-Christian
I was wondering when someone would bring the scripture up. However, someone else said that that was already taken care of. What? :confused: When? Anyways, God doesn't hate gay PEOPLE: on the contrary, He loves them as much as anyone else. He hates gay ACTIONS. Like He doesn't care for cross-dressing and, er, gay relations. But he has NO problem with gay people themselves. Peace!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I was wondering when someone would bring the scripture up. However, someone else said that that was already taken care of. What? :confused: When? Anyways, God doesn't hate gay PEOPLE: on the contrary, He loves them as much as anyone else. He hates gay ACTIONS. Like He doesn't care for cross-dressing and, er, gay relations. But he has NO problem with gay people themselves. Peace!
I really doubt that God is concerned with what clothes people choose to wear and who we love. Really, doesn't God have more important things to concern itself with? Like, oh I dunno... starving kids in Africa?

Francis

UBER-Christian
Umm, starving isn't a sin. So in that sense, there's no reason there God NOT to focus on this. And also, the children are being cared for by us. But again, The starving children are rather irrelevant, once you think about the fact that God is one helluva multi-tasker.
biggrin.gif
Also, I don't know why homo-sexual acts are a sin.
shrug.gif
That's God's choice. I, personally, don't care. Well, i know the reasoning, why it's a sin, but... my point is that God doesn't like the acts. The people are fine. Peace!

Francis

UBER-Christian
So because it's outdated, it's not true? Peace! p.s. That's EXACTLY what i was going to say, but i couldn't think of how to word it.

Francis

UBER-Christian
Nice logic. But, doesn't God DETERMINE what's wrong? Why did He decide that this is wrong? Peace!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe the bible is consistent on the matter of sex outside of marriage - that sex outside of marriage is morally wrong and therefore a (gasp) SIN. This would include heterosexuals as well as homosexuals who are not married.

This isn't a thread about gay marriage so I hope it doesn't morph into one of those vortexes.

My point is that according to Christian doctrine, sex outside of marriage is wrong. When Christians focus their ire on gays instead of being equally incensed by their own 25 year old daughter who's shacked up with her boyfriend across town, they they're being hypocrites.

I say "At least be consistent."

Francis

UBER-Christian
I say both are wrong. I'm consistent! :angel2: I have no problem with it myself, but if God says so... :p Peace!

keithnurse

Kathryn: You are right, straight people should sweep around their own back doors before pointing at gay people. The Bible might be consistent in condemning sex outside of marriage, but, to me, that doesn't make it wrong. It might be wrong for other reasons, but not just because the Bible says so. I don't consider the Bible to be a reliable guide to morality and ethics because of 1st Samuel 15:2-3 and the implication in Genesis 19 that offering up your virgin daughters to be gang raped is an acceptable way to prevent your male houseguests from being gang raped.

I believe the bible is consistent on the matter of sex outside of marriage - that sex outside of marriage is morally wrong and therefore a (gasp) SIN. This would include heterosexuals as well as homosexuals who are not married.

This isn't a thread about gay marriage so I hope it doesn't morph into one of those vortexes.

My point is that according to Christian doctrine, sex outside of marriage is wrong. When Christians focus their ire on gays instead of being equally incensed by their own 25 year old daughter who's shacked up with her boyfriend across town, they they're being hypocrites.

I say "At least be consistent."

My wife and I lived together for several years before getting married and 20 years later we are still together. Personally I would advise anyone who is planning on getting married to live together for at least a year before hand.
If you can't make it through at least that first year and get past all of the "getting used to living with each other stuff" then I would say the marriage is doomed to failure.

Both my brothers have been married and divorced three times and neither of them lived with any of their wives before getting married.

Plus I'm not Christian so I guess this doesn't really count. :D

keithnurse

I agree with the idea of living together awhile before getting married. Everyone knows you don't buy a car without taking it for a spin first.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
God i s offended because it is wrong.

Are you referring to the god who is offended by those who eat shellfish? And equally offended by those who wear clothing made of two fabrics? Or are you referring to a sane god?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You don't really know someone, nor know yourself with them, until you live with them for awhile. People get married way too quickly. How can you make the decision to spend the rest of your life with someone, when you don't even know them. Additionally, they don't seem to realize that the infatuation stage doesn't last forever, and if you get married thinking that the rest of your life is going to be like that, you're in for a huge disappointment.

My wife and I were together for 12 years before getting married - and lived together for 8. In that time, I don't know how many couple we knew who met, got married, and got divorced, all in a matter of a couple of years.

People would ask me why I didn't "marry her" if I wanted to spend my life with her. That's backwards. We weren't in a hurry to get married, and didn't need to, because we knew we wanted to spend our lives together.

Basically, deciding to spend your entire life with someone who you really don't know is pure folly.

Elessar

Kathryn: You are right, straight people should sweep around their own back doors before pointing at gay people. The Bible might be consistent in condemning sex outside of marriage, but, to me, that doesn't make it wrong. It might be wrong for other reasons, but not just because the Bible says so. I don't consider the Bible to be a reliable guide to morality and ethics because of 1st Samuel 15:2-3 and the implication in Genesis 19 that offering up your virgin daughters to be gang raped is an acceptable way to prevent your male houseguests from being gang raped.

At least in the latter verse, from the Torah, I can tell you that the intent of the passage is not to imply the rightness or wrongness of what Lot does (namely, offer up his daughters to the crowd to protect his houseguests), but simply to record that he did so. Lot, honestly, is not a very righteous or virtuous man, in the eyes of Torah - he is spared for his righteous uncle, Avraham's, sake, not for any righteousness of his own.

Especially considering this same story goes onto record the two daughters in question entering a joint incestuous relationship with their father, an act which violates several mitzvot found in the actual lawgiving parts of the Torah, as opposed to the historical sections like this one.

I don't rememnber what happened in 1st Samuel 15 off-hand, so I can't speak on that subject without some study :)

[/off-topic]

Francis

UBER-Christian
Well, there's a difference between living with someone, and having sex. You wanna live with them, go ahead. Nothing stopping you. However, well, unless you have perfect self control, that'll be really hard. :p

Peace!