• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a question for all religions on here.About dead people.And being haunted.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
In your religion is it possible for the dead to come back as a ghost and haunt you?:)
I would like to add a question or two as follow up:

If your religion does not allow the possibility, does said lack of possibility apply universally or only for those of your religion?
If your religion does allow for said possibility, does said possibility apply universally or only to other religions that accept said possibility?​

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but not in the manner you are probably thinking. The "ghosts" of the past are all around us - the legacy of the ancestors. And we are all "haunted" by them, if that's the word one wants to put to it.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
In your religion is it possible for the dead to come back as a ghost and haunt you?:)

Dear Frank Goad

In my faith, ghosts have not “come back” - they never left.

An Ego that at time of death remains too large and stubborn to deal with transition, may refuse to accept its’ undoing and hinder someone’s energy from returning to source.

It is said to be an awful state of being, because - unlike going through “hell”, where the soul can learn to understand, repent and ascend back to “heaven” - there is no change or progress in this sort of “limbo” where a ghost remains.

Humbly
Hermit

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Below is my personal experience I share, because you asked; so my opinion (no claims):

Our minds can play all kind of tricks, but the teaching in my religion is, that the mind is "unreal/maya/illusion", so it's byproduct "ghost" is also unreal

Note: Of course when "mind controls you", these self created ghosts seem very real, and can be a real problem when haunted by it
Note: Many years ago, the Divine Mother appeared to me, pressed my third eye, smiling naughty, told me "now you will experience something"
Note: (I was 'haunted by ghosts' for like 12 month; luckily my faith was very strong, so I knew it was a cleansing of something already inside me)
Note: (But it was as bad as the worst a schizophrenic goes through; so I will not downplay the horror one can go through, it was terrifying)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my sampradaya's understanding, ghosts are the astral bodies of souls who have recently dropped their physical bodies. In normal situations, which are by far the most common, the soul is actively looking for a new body. A 'ghost' occurs when the attachment to the old body is too strong, or the attachment to the old family , or even an individual is strong. It's also more likely in the case of a tragic accident, when the individual soul is confused at what happened, as there is no time t prepare. One of the reasons Hindus cremate the dead is so that the astral body recognised it no longer has a physical body. That's also why ghosts are more likely in graveyards.

Occasionally they will try to inhabit a full adult body just to live out some of their unfulfilled desires, but if that person who currently inhabits it isn't open to the possibility, it won't happen. Being open means going looking for it, or being in a confused situation, like extreme alcoholism, mental disease, or a weak mind capable of being manipulated.

So it can happen, but it's rare.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, of course. Deceased people can become ghosts, protective spirits, monsterous entities and so on according to the Norse.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I appear to have a good boundary fence, since none have approached me - yet. Or they just haven't anything to pester me with. :oops:

Nova2216

According to the bible the answer is no.

Notice (Luke 16:19-31)

Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
Luk 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
Luk 16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
Luk 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.