• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a question about the bible.

whirlingmerc

"Let"? Who said He 'let'? But He gave mankind free will, and that's what they ended up doing.

Couldn't possibly be that it wasn't meant for everyone...:rolleyes:

One 'freely' chooses according to the highest inclination of one's heart as Jonathan Edwards said. So one may freely choose in a sense but be bound and limited by one's fallen heart. Is it free or does one need a new heart with better treasures to be really free and does that require a work of God? I think so.

Faithofchristian

If the bible was meant for everyone, then why did God reveal it in a language hardly anyone spoke or understand today? :D

Because the bible wasn't meant for everyone.
The bible was written to God's elect and his very elect people of God.

That's man's teachings that will say the bible was written for everyone.

But There's no where in the Bible thats written that the bible was written for everyone

wellwisher

There are two types of languages, visual and verbal-written. Visual language is universal and common to all people, while verbal-written language is more subjective and can be different for different people.

As a demonstration pf the difference, imagine a large hall that is filled with people representing all of the 6500 different languages currently spoken on the earth. I am on the stage and I place a few objects on a table, such as an apple, a black cat and a glass of water. Everyone in that room can see these objects using the universal language of sight. The reflected light impacts the human brain in a common way in teams of shape, color, texture, reflections, etc.,allowing all to distinguish these objects.

On the other hand, if we asked each person what they see, there may be thousands of different sounds and noises used to express the very same things we all see in common. The sounds are arbitrary and subjective, but they all reflect the same visual objects we all see. It is does not matter what noises different people make as long as they all see the same thing.

The story of the tower of Babel is where the unified language of sight and second sight; imagination, becomes more subjective as people began to coin words and phrases, adding confusion to the unified visual language. An new and even clever arbitrary sounds appeared, it became harder to make the visual come to a focus for all. But eventually, enough words are added and translators became available, to where the common visual language reappeared. The light of the world came for the common universal first and second sight.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Why did Jehovah let the bible go through so many different translations?Until it got to the jws?
The Tanakh (What Christians mistakenly call the Old Testament but which is not old at all) is in Hebrew and remains in Hebrew. Any translations are only translations. They are inferior. We suggest the learning of Hebrew so that you aren't dependent upon a translation at all. If you must use a translation, use a Jewish translation, since Christian translations muck it up by also translating from the Greek Septuagint instead of sticking to the Hebrew.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find the ancient people of Acts of the Apostles 17:11 did Not accept Scripture without question.
They searched or researched the Scriptures daily to see if what they were hearing was really so.
When you say, 'good to go' I wonder 'good to go' where _________________
The time is coming when those ruining the Earth will be brought to ruin - Revelation 11:18 B.
Their selves will be brought to ruin or God will let them bring the Earth to ruin?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
One 'freely' chooses according to the highest inclination of one's heart as Jonathan Edwards said. So one may freely choose in a sense but be bound and limited by one's fallen heart. Is it free or does one need a new heart with better treasures to be really free and does that require a work of God? I think so.
Yes, limited by one's fallen heart as Jeremiah 17:9 informs us.
Without God we can Not successfully direct our step - Jeremiah 10:23.
Our fallen heart is like having a traitor within us:
If we think or make decisions by our heart's inclinations then afterwards the heart gives us all the reasons why we should Not have done what we did in the first place.
Thankfully, God can remove a hardened heart like stone to become a heart of flesh - Ezekiel 36:26-27.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Tanakh (What Christians mistakenly call the Old Testament but which is not old at all) is in Hebrew and remains in Hebrew. Any translations are only translations. They are inferior. We suggest the learning of Hebrew so that you aren't dependent upon a translation at all. If you must use a translation, use a Jewish translation, since Christian translations muck it up by also translating from the Greek Septuagint instead of sticking to the Hebrew.
I'd like to say 'so-called Christians' say OT for the Hebrew Scriptures.
I say the old Hebrew Scriptures when referring to the so-called old Testament.
For the rest I say the Christian Greek Scriptures.
I am wondering if you ave a particular verse or passage in mind that is mucked up __________

whirlingmerc

Yes, limited by one's fallen heart as Jeremiah 17:9 informs us.
Without God we can Not successfully direct our step - Jeremiah 10:23.
Our fallen heart is like having a traitor within us:
If we think or make decisions by our heart's inclinations then afterwards the heart gives us all the reasons why we should Not have done what we did in the first place.
Thankfully, God can remove a hardened heart like stone to become a heart of flesh - Ezekiel 36:26-27.

I agree, one freely chooses but is in bondage to fallen desires. God can change a heart to have better treasures but a person cannot otherwise pill themselves up by their bootstraps without God's work of mercy.

"No one comes comes to Me except the Father draw him" Jesus

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Because the bible wasn't meant for everyone.
The bible was written to God's elect and his very elect people of God.
That's man's teachings that will say the bible was written for everyone.
But There's no where in the Bible thats written that the bible was written for everyone

If the Bible was Not meant for everyone then why would Jesus want everyone included at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.
I find at 2 Peter 3:9 that God is Not willing that anyone should perish ( be destroyed ) .
So, if God is Not willing any to perish then the 'any' would seem to include everyone.
God's goodness and forbearance and long suffering is for the purpose: to lead men to Him - Romans 2:4
Perhaps it is more like that men are saying the Bible is Not for everyone.

Faithofchristian

Your evidence please. And exactly who comprises this "elect people of God"?

Thank you.

My evidence is for you to read the Bible..
That throughout the Bible...God speaks about his elect and very elect ...

Even Jesus Christ many times spoke to his elect and his very elect...
Giving his elect and his very elect.. Prophecy concerning future events.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'd like to say 'so-called Christians' say OT for the Hebrew Scriptures.
I say the old Hebrew Scriptures when referring to the so-called old Testament.
For the rest I say the Christian Greek Scriptures.
I am wondering if you ave a particular verse or passage in mind that is mucked up __________
Isaiah 7:14
A young woman is with child... (she is already pregnant)

as opposed to...

A virgin will conceive... (happens in the future)

Skwim

Veteran Member
My evidence is for you to read the Bible..
Requiring me to do something, evidently seeking out some kind of answer, does not qualify as evidence. It's a dodge I'll take as your inability to answer my question. So be it. You simply don't know.

That throughout the Bible...God speaks about his elect and very elect ...

Even Jesus Christ many times spoke to his elect and his very elect...
Giving his elect and his very elect.. Prophecy concerning future events.
And again you fail to provide a reasonable answer. I asked you, "And exactly who comprises this "elect people of God"? and all you can do is reaffirm the existence of such people instead of "exactly" identifying them. It's another dodge I'll take as your inability to answer my question. So be it. You simply don't know.

It's becoming quite clear that you simply parrot what you've been told rather than understanding it. My sympathies.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Requiring me to do something, evidently seeking out some kind of answer, does not qualify as evidence. It's a dodge I'll take as your inability to answer my question. So be it. You simply don't know.

And again you fail to provide a reasonable answer. I ask you, "And exactly who comprises this "elect people of God"? and all you can do is reaffirm the existence of such people instead of "exactly" identifying them. It's another dodge I'll take as your inability to answer my question. So be it. You simply don't know.

It's becoming quite clear that you simply parrot what you've been told rather than understanding it. My sympathies.

As far as I was educated and raised, those that believe in God and accept Jesus Christ as their saviour are the result of the God's work and message of the Bible. Anyone that chooses to believe that can join the group. I can't see any sense in Christ or His followers trying to save the saved. I Do not see the target audience as existing believers alone. Much of the Bible would not make much sense of that were so and what we be the point of missionaries and reaching those that have never been exposed to Christianity.

There is a dichotomy among Christians about interpretation. I know this is obvious, given the number of denominations and events like the Protestant Reformation, but it bears mentioning. Since one of these dichotomies revolves around the view of biblical certitude, that is both a later human view seemingly falling under a work and one that also rises to the height creating a false idol.

As far as I know, God can figure out who is sincere in their belief, but the rest of us have use and weigh evidence and we could be very wrong in our judgement.

Faithofchristian

And again you fail to provide a reasonable answer. I asked you, "And exactly who comprises this "elect people of God"? and all you can do is reaffirm the existence of such people instead of "exactly" identifying them. It's another dodge I'll take as your inability to answer my question. So be it. You simply don't know.

My answer to you is. Read the bible bible and you'll find your answer..

If the bible was written to everyone..As people seems to think it is..
Then no one would have a problem in
understanding the Bible...
But as it is...there are people who have no clue or idea what the Bible is exactly about or saying...
If I may say..God elect and very elect Will know exactly what is being said and done
with no questions asked.

Faithofchristian

Isaiah 7:14
A young woman is with child... (she is already pregnant)

as opposed to...

A virgin will conceive... (happens in the future)

Nope not at all,..
That of Isaiah 7:14 is in reference to the future from Isaiah's day..

Isaiah 7:14---"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel"

What Isaiah had written here...is letting the people of Israel know. That when the a pointed time comes.
Then there will be a virgin with child.
In Israel.
How will the people of Israel know when that day and hour has come.
When they hear or find a virgin with child...
But most of the people of Israel miss it.
And Israel is still missing it even to day.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
My answer to you is. Read the bible bible and you'll find your answer..

If the bible was written to everyone..As people seems to think it is..
Then no one would have a problem in
understanding the Bible...
But as it is...there are people who have no clue or idea what the Bible is exactly about or saying...
If I may say..God elect and very elect Will know exactly what is being said and done
with no questions asked.
A non sequitur. No one understands the Bible, though various groups agree on some understanding amongst themselves. I am certain you feel you and your group feel you hold a correct and only understanding. Not an exclusive club either.

We have several thousand years of history and multiple religions with hundreds of denominations that reveal the true understanding of the Bible.

Faithofchristian

A non sequitur. No one understands the Bible, though various groups agree on some understanding amongst themselves. I am certain you feel you and your group feel you hold a correct and only understanding. Not an exclusive club either.

We have several thousand years of history and multiple religions with hundreds of denominations that reveal the true understanding of the Bible.

First, as to where do you get "you and your group" do you always make assumptions about someone that you don't know anything about.

As for another thing...I don't belong to any religious organizations nor any man made church.