• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a question about if something is paranormal or not

Goddess Kit

I think we prefer to assign any meaning to something we cannot comprehend, and thus arises Deja Vu.

It is easier for people to seek an immediate answer, no matter how illogical, rather than just accept a natural cause that is currently unexplainable.

Nimos

Do you think deja vu is paranormal?Or do you think it has natural causes?I think it could be both.:)
I think they are misunderstandings or misinterpretations.

Like something seems familiar and then one fill in the blanks so it feels like it have happened before.. but just a guess, haven't really looked a lot into it. :) But good question.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Paranormal simply means something outside of the normal, often something particularly inexplicable; it is at least preternatural, but not necessarily supernatural.

The experience of dejá vu certainly qualifies.

MNoBody

given that people are excellent at pattern recognition, I suspect most are merely events, situations,scenes, things etc,
that the person witnessing/experiencing "this", is identifying it as being very much like something they are already familiar with..... like talking to someone new and they have for a moment an uncanny resemblance in their mannerisms or what-have-you to someone else, people compare things all the time, rate new things according to the old things, this flavor reminds me of this other thing, this place reminds me of some other place, and so on....

an actual deja vu moment [whatever that really is] would be quite different, in that it would have to be verifiable, like knowing who is on the phone before they speak, or knowing what the next thing people will say is going to be.....if it does not have this element to it, then it is likely this other basic psychological function which is poorly comprehended, since most people have little practical working knowledge of their own psyche.

Any student working on some topic seriously will have such reveries or impressions all the time as they study their interest and make connections from other even disparate areas which correlate in some way.... which then since correlation does not automatically equal causation one has to drill down deeper at those points as they may be vital clues, leads in their investigation, or maybe just a brain fart...who knows until it is looked into further.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Do you think deja vu is paranormal?Or do you think it has natural causes?I think it could be both.:)
Well first I need a definition of 'deja vu' before I can answer. Let's pull out Webster's Dictionary

the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time.

I think it is often paranormal meaning our consciousness gets wavy and ahead of the current timeline. For me my foreknowledge was always correct in what was going to happen. I knew things I couldn't have guessed with just logic. One time I told my brother what he was going to say before he said it but he said it anyway. Stunned him and he asked how I knew that. I had it fairly often as a child but have gradually lost the ability completely.

My theory is that our consciousness jumps a little ahead of the timeline. The more mature we get the tighter is consciousness' grip to the 'now' only.