• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a couple things in common with coastal California.

Jonathan Bailey

Hate for tobacco use (many cancer deaths in my family) and the love for free love for all. This is my "liberal" side. I say "coastal California" because most of the "Prop H8" people are in the central valley and there are also a lot of smokers in that region having lived in Sacramento County for nearly a decade. I was raised and educated from infancy in the SF Bay Area, Marin and San Mateo, 1960's-1980's. In 1974, it was only one dollar admission for children to get into the Exploratorium in San Francisco so that city was also once not so opulent. I once knew an older SF lady (somewhat of a feminist but anti-gay, she thought it terrific for girls to play a trumpet (how so feminine!) but loathed "queers" in her own words) whose Noe District studio apartment, on Sanchez Street, was always under $300/month from the 1950's through the late 1970's when she passed away. I went to high school at Woodside late '70's and transferred to Novato early 1980's. Class of 1982 here. In both high schools at that time, as well as in my Novato junior high school of the mid 1970's, there was a lot of anti-gay sentiment among both students and faculty though San Francisco was the Gay Mecca even then. Much of the Bay Area was still not gay friendly then. Anti-gay sentiment continued toward the end of the 1980's at my Novato workplaces.

However, there are several things I hate about California as well as the high cost of living, high real estate prices, high rent, iron-fisted gun control, Bakersfield smog, DMV bureaucracy, inner-city congestion, anti-hunting sentiment/poor game/wildlife management, poor water resources management, impossible traffic, lax immigration policy, Asian-dominated banking and real estate and high state income taxes. I'm a pro-Second Amendment/pro-wildlife conservation/pollution-hating moderate.
JkzPXLr.jpg

Last edited: