• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate Rishi Sunak..........

JIMMY12345

The reason is admittedly that he is super smart, tall and good looking.He has a lovely family (and a PR dog).He has so much dough he is a rarity in politics.The guy is honest and actually believes in what he says.

The question is how many days before he is put out to pasture?
The Brits have rail strikes,The Brits are facing postal strikes,Nurses do not look to happy.The Nurses pay is actually good,The problem is that for those who rent or pay mortgages life is not affordable.Two kids fine more and people are really struggling.Mr Sunak should reduce taxes per child and do a bipartisan participation with Labour. Otherwise everyone will go on strike.Inflation will feed more demand for wage increases. Labour will come in and do a Liz Truss so interest rates rocket into the stratosphere.

How would you manage the strikes and do you think Mr Sunak will survive?

Altfish

Veteran Member
The reason is admittedly that he is super smart, tall and good looking.He has a lovely family (and a PR dog).He has so much dough he is a rarity in politics.The guy is honest and actually believes in what he says.

The Brits have rail strikes,The Brits are facing postal strikes,Nurses do not look to happy.The Nurses pay is actually good,The problem is that for those who rent or pay mortgages life is not affordable.Two kids fine more and people are really struggling.Mr Sunak should reduce taxes per child and do a bipartisan participation with Labour. Otherwise everyone will go on strike.Inflation will feed more demand for wage increases. Labour will come in and do a Liz Truss so interest rates rocket into the stratosphere.

Mr Sunak is not honest.
Mr Sunak does not understand middle and working class people, he has never been poor, never had to make ends meet.
His wife still trades with Russia and claims tax relief through the non-Dom system.
The Tories cannot afford to get rid of Sunak as it will force a General Election at which, if the polls are correct, the Tories will be annihilated

Strikes are dealt with by negotiation. By both sides. One side is currently refusing to negotiate.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Your suggestion is not practical. We've run out of money, in part because of the help he gave out during the covid period. That was always going to have to be paid for, but people have short memories of the good things and nurse grievances over the bad. Taxes need to go up, not down. But there is I think room to make them more progressive to shield the less well-off.

I think the government is being too intransigent over public sector pay. They will need to meet these groups half way, which I think they can do without prolonging inflation hugely. Some of these people are really up against it - and the fact is they can't recruit the staff for the NHS or the care sector at such low salaries. They are leaving in droves to get better paid work in the private sector. Paying them so little is simply unsustainable. The country cannot run a European quality welfare state on US levels of taxation. The Tories are completely conflicted about this, being wedded to a low tax mantra imported from the US and failing to grasp that the British people do not want a US-style, devil-take-the-hindmost society and they never will.

Labour has made it very clear they have no intention of making unfunded tax cuts, so the comparison with Truss's level of incompetence is unfair.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Mr Sunak is not honest.
Mr Sunak does not understand middle and working class people, he has never been poor, never had to make ends meet.
His wife still trades with Russia and claims tax relief through the non-Dom system.
The Tories cannot afford to get rid of Sunak as it will force a General Election at which, if the polls are correct, the Tories will be annihilated

Strikes are dealt with by negotiation. By both sides. One side is currently refusing to negotiate.
Mrs Sunak now pays UK taxes.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Wow!!!
Is he paying the back dated monies he owes?
I have paid my taxes every year since I was earning.
He doesn’t owe anything, so far as I know. He will have paid tax in the relevant jurisdiction, as all of us who have been expats have had to do.

exchemist

Veteran Member
OK then, what about Mrs Sunak?
Ditto. Nobody has ever suggested either of them have been evading tax. So they don't owe HMRC anything, so far as I am aware.

But it appears they were exploiting, quite legally, the rules that exist regarding tax residence, double taxation treaties etc. What I gather they have agreed to do now, though, is declare the UK as their country of residence for tax purposes, and therefore are now paying all their taxes here, instead of to some other country. Because it just looks bad, obviously, if the wife of the Chancellor of the Exchequer is a non-dom and doesn't pay UK tax.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Ditto. Nobody has ever suggested either of them have been evading tax. So they don't owe HMRC anything, so far as I am aware.

But it appears they were exploiting, quite legally, the rules that exist regarding tax residence, double taxation treaties etc. What I gather they have agreed to do now, though, is declare the UK as their country of residence for tax purposes, and therefore are now paying all their taxes here, instead of to some other country. Because it just looks bad, obviously, if the wife of the Chancellor of the Exchequer is a non-dom and doesn't pay UK tax.
OK
Tax evasion is not tax avoidance BUT as leader of the country is it right that his wife pays little or no tax and still trades win Russia

exchemist

Veteran Member
OK
Tax evasion is not tax avoidance BUT as leader of the country is it right that his wife pays little or no tax and still trades win Russia
In the course of this thread we've established it is untrue that she pays little or no tax. She used to pay tax in India and now she pays it here.

exchemist

Veteran Member
After the outcry
Yes, after the outcry. Before the outcry she was a non-dom and paid tax in India on her income arising from activities outside the UK. After all, she is Indian and has had Indian citizenship most of her life. It seems to be suggested that it is somehow immoral for the Chancellor of the Exchequer to have a foreign wife: all very xenophobic and Brexitty.

There is actually a world outside the UK, in which people earn money and pay tax, elsewhere. With most countries we have double taxation treaties, to prevent the injustice of having to pay tax twice over, to both the country whether the income earned and in the UK as well. That's what I did when I worked overseas. I don't know why this is considered so shocking.

Contrary to what you have been suggesting, firstly neither Sunak nor his wife is accused or suspected of evading UK tax, and secondly, both he and his wife are, today, as a result of the political hue and cry, UK taxpayers.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yes, after the outcry. Before the outcry she was a non-dom and paid tax in India on her income arising from activities outside the UK. After all, she is Indian and has had Indian citizenship most of her life. It seems to be suggested that it is somehow immoral for the Chancellor of the Exchequer to have a foreign wife: all very xenophobic and Brexitty.

There is actually a world outside the UK, in which people earn money and pay tax, elsewhere. With most countries we have double taxation treaties, to prevent the injustice of having to pay tax twice over, to both the country whether the income earned and in the UK as well. That's what I did when I worked overseas. I don't know why this is considered so shocking.

Contrary to what you have been suggesting, firstly neither Sunak nor his wife is accused or suspected of evading UK tax, and secondly, both he and his wife are, today, as a result of the political hue and cry, UK taxpayers.
To be a non-dom you must be a resident of the country you are claiming it for. She has lived PREDOMINENTLY in the UK for about 10-years, previously they lived in the US. She should not have been ticking the non-dom box

exchemist

Veteran Member
To be a non-dom you must be a resident of the country you are claiming it for. She has lived PREDOMINENTLY in the UK for about 10-years, previously they lived in the US. She should not have been ticking the non-dom box
There is no suggestion she broke the rules for non-dom status. If she had, she would have been done for tax evasion, which she has not been. If your complaint is that the HMRC rules for non-dom status are not how you would like them, then make that your objection, instead of picking on a foreign national who has been obeying the law.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

She matched the UK residency regulations. For non-Dom status.

Altfish

Veteran Member
There is no suggestion she broke the rules for non-dom status. If she had, she would have been done for tax evasion, which she has not been. If your complaint is that the HMRC rules for non-dom status are not how you would like them, then make that your objection, instead of picking on a foreign national who has been obeying the law.
OK.
We are not going to agree.