• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate prejudice!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I also can't stand intolerance!

Who agrees with me?

If you do not agree, go find yourself another thread and stop bothering us!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Too bad this is not a joke thread. Because then I could introduce this video from a few decades ago which sadly is still mostly relevant today.

Unfounded Predjudice of any kind is my pet peeve. People should be accepted or not based on their merits with no regard to melanin content, sexual orientation, gender, age, faith, income, or any other ridiculous arbitrary groupings!

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
There's a reason for intolerance. They're not always good reasons. Intolerance for intolerance doesn't fix much but I understand the feeling and that's pretty much the only logical time to be intolerant. Not that I really want to be intolerant.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Who agrees with me?

stacks-image-30eb27f-150x150.png
Me! Me! I too am intolerant of intolerance.

"Us"? You mean Geoff and Allen?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Donald Trump isn't prejudiced. He hates everybody the same!
That is patently false. Trump loves anyone who praises him and kisses his behind. He also loves really wealthy people as long as they don't criticize him, and loves people in the military (which, I agree with as they are putting their lives on the line for yours truly).

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Who agrees with me?

I agree. A tolerant society cannot survive unless it is intolerant of intolerance. While that sounds contradictory in nature, it really isn't. A tolerant society can still be considered as such if it is tolerant of everything except intolerance.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I agree. A tolerant society cannot survive unless it is intolerant of intolerance. While that sounds contradictory in nature, it really isn't. A tolerant society can still be considered as such if it is tolerant of everything except intolerance.
I could not disagree more strongly. Isn't it better to try to cajole intolerance instead of beating it to a pulp? In my view if one is intolerant of intolerance you are part of the problem you pretend to be against. Personally, I don't think you have thought this out very well. :) A tolerant society is just that. It is tolerant of EVERY viewpoint, however ludicrous. That is the essence of tolerance. Like @George-ananda said, it's how far you are willing to take your tolerance before joining the dark side of intolerance. More importantly who decides what is acceptable and what is not? The tyranny of the majority?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I could not disagree more strongly. Isn't it better to try to cajole intolerance instead of beating it to a pulp? In my view if one is intolerant of intolerance you are part of the problem you pretend to be against. Personally, I don't think you have thought this out very well. :) A tolerant society is just that. It is tolerant of EVERY viewpoint, however ludicrous. That is the essence of tolerance. Like @George-ananda said, it's how far you are willing to take your tolerance before joining the dark side of intolerance. More importantly who decides what is acceptable and what is not? The tyranny of the majority?
By "tolerance", I was speaking about intolerance based on prejudice. And, by "intolerance" I merely meant not accepting such behavior, but, instead, challenging it. I should have been more clear about that.

"Intolerance" is the unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own.
"Prejudice" is a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason, verifiable evidence or actual first-hand experience.

There is not much subjectivity there. If your intolerance is not based on evidence, but rather preconceived opinions based on rumor, the claims of others about their experiences, etc. then your view should be challenged.

I never said that they should be "beaten to a pulp".

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I never said that they should be "beaten to a pulp".
I get that much, @leibowde84 but even this makes me slightly queasy. You say that intolerance based on prejudice should be challenged and while that is all well and good what if the party you are challenging isn't particularly interested in your ideas as I suspect few suffering from the condition likely would be. What then? Just brow beat them into submission?

So, society should be tolerant of murderers, terrorists, child molesters, nazis burning babies in ovens? Perhaps there some place for intolerance. If being intolerant of those behaviors makes me a bigot, then I guess, so be it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So, society should be tolerant of murderers, terrorists, child molesters, nazis burning babies in ovens? Perhaps there some place for intolerance. If being intolerant of those behaviors makes me a bigot, then I guess, so be it.
Nice false equivalency you have going there. But, you do provide an rather juicy springboard. I'd suggest that tolerance is very much in the eye of the beholder and the moral imperative that drives them.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Too bad this is not a joke thread

Sorry! But it IS a joke!

I guess not everyone shares my rather wicked sense-of-humour. Without it, I just couldn't function in a world like this. :)

People who "know" me realise that I try and cultivate compassion for EVERYONE - even the most bigoted and mis-guided human beings! I don't ALWAYS manage it - I am certainly a work-in-progress.

Terribly sorry if I offended anyone with my little "joke".

Cheers!