• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate HOA CC&R's

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I think our HOA takes their duties a bit too serious at times. The cc&r states what color, brand and code, for the backyard fence even. Their real Nazis at times.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure if that makes me a liberal or a conservative. Who agrees or disagrees and why?
You might simply suffer from having normal healthy common sense.

I've managed apartments in condo associations.
I even managed a condo association.
The kind of people who get on the boards are often
busy bodies who lust for power they never could
achieve in the working world. They live to force others
to march to their tune, & crushing all opposition.
As I recall from history class, Adolph Hitler got his start
as a condo board president.

The stories I could tell.......

Scott C.

Just one guy

Haha. I agree. My daughter and son-in-law made an offer on a home the other day. This is a stand alone house with a yard in a subdivision. There's a rule that children can't play in the front yard between the hours of 8AM and 4PM. How can it even be legal to make such a rule? I don't care how many like the rule, it's just not American to tell someone when their kid can be in the yard. And how is it legal for an HOA to prohibit parking on public streets, where it is perfectly legal to park? Do people really think it raises property values to have a neighborhood with no signs of human life, no kids in the street, no cars visible to public view, no signs of any recreational vehicles, no signs of any weeds, and just a sterile row of silent yards with perfectly trimmed lawns?

People will say, well if you don't like the rules, don't live there. But I say that I question that these HOAs should be allowed to exist. Or at least, there need to be strict laws that prohibit the rules than can be passed. I understand that without an HOA there are people who will be very trashy and reduce the quality of life and property values for everyone around them. But these are the exceptions. I'd rather take that chance than to own my own home in a subdivision and have people tell me that I'm bringing down property values and becoming a nuisance because I have more cars than fit in my garage or I left my trash can on the street an extra night, or I let my lawn get a little too long. This strikes me as un-American and an infringement on basic human rights, and rights of property owners.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Haha. I agree. My daughter and son-in-law made an offer on a home the other day. This is a stand alone house with a yard in a subdivision. There's a rule that children can't play in the front yard between the hours of 8AM and 4PM. How can it even be legal to make such a rule? I don't care how many like the rule, it's just not American to tell someone when their kid can be in the yard. And how is it legal for an HOA to prohibit parking on public streets, where it is perfectly legal to park? Do people really think it raises property values to have a neighborhood with no signs of human life, no kids in the street, no cars visible to public view, no signs of any recreational vehicles, no signs of any weeds, and just a sterile row of silent yards with perfectly trimmed lawns?

People will say, well if you don't like the rules, don't live there. But I say that I question that these HOAs should be allowed to exist. Or at least, there need to be strict laws that prohibit the rules than can be passed. I understand that without an HOA there are people who will be very trashy and reduce the quality of life and property values for everyone around them. But these are the exceptions. I'd rather take that chance than to own my own home in a subdivision and have people tell me that I'm bringing down property values and becoming a nuisance because I have more cars than fit in my garage or I left my trash can on the street an extra night, or I let my lawn get a little too long. This strikes me as un-American and an infringement on basic human rights, and rights of property owners.
The prohibition against children playing during daylight hours could be challenged & defeated as a violation of Fair Housing laws.
I had an association try to evict my tenant using all sorts of niggling little rules controlling children.
(They had an unwritten rule against children in the complex.) They ended up having to pay my
tenant damages for their actions. Who knew a landlord would be a tenant's strongest ally?

The vicious b***** they hired as a lawyer to evict my single mom tenant is now my next door neighbor.
I haven't been invited over there yet.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
My uncle decided to sale his home and move because of a HOA.
Before he left he dug up his whole yard and put a foot thick slab of cement in its place.
he even had the cement company put green paint in the cement before it was poured.

The HOA wasted a lot of money in court over the cement.
They lost and even had to compensate my uncle for lost wages related to the case.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

I knew it! Thanks for confirming all my suspicions.