• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess this is the current state of creationism

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I'm 50 years old, which means I've seen how creationism has evolved (HAH) over the last several decades. I can remember elementary school in the 1970's where teaching Christianity and the Bible in a public school was just assumed and there was little if any controversy. I remember in 4th grade us doing a skit about a newspaper reporter doing interviews right before Noah's flood. I remember in middle school and high school us not covering evolution in science classes because (according to the teachers) it was "too controversial" and some of them specifically saying that since it contradicted the Bible, it was necessarily wrong. I even remember in high school a couple of mandatory assemblies where "scientific creationists" would give presentations on young-earth creationism and how "true science" supported it.

As I was finishing up college the ID creationism movement was just beginning and by the time I started working it was getting a fair bit of interest from the media. Of course ID creationism died a quick death in the Dover, PA trial in 2005.

So over my lifetime, I've seen creationism go from overtly teaching "this is what the Bible says so it's true", to "the accounts in the Bible are scientifically supported", to "teach the controversy", to "complexity = a designer", to it's current state.

And what is its current state? Judging by the consistent theme I see from creationists in this and other forums, it seems to have been reduced to the rather simplistic argument of "challenge evolutionists to prove their claims to a 100% degree of certainty, and when they don't do that declare it to be a faith, no different than any other belief system".

That appears to be it. I've honestly not seen much of anything else from creationists in quite a while. I think we science advocates should take this as a positive development. This really is all they have left, which means the current declining trend is very likely to continue.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because the only true argument creationists have for creationism is "God did it. :musicnotes:The Bible tells me so:musicnotes:" they're not left with much to work with, so they attack evolution, trying to persuade themselves and others that if evolution can be shown to have any holes in it at all then creationism wins by default.

Logically it's stupid; however, for those with a need to believe creationism is true it's all that's required. "Can't show me the transitional fossils I demand? Then creationism is true." "The Piltdown man was a forgery so how can anyone trust science? Therefore creationism is true." "The bacterial flagellum is very complex. Therefore creationism is true." "I did not descend from a monkey. Therefore creationism is true."

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I can't wait until it's so dead and gone we can finally shed this silly "evolutionist" term that is just completely absurd because not one electrician is an ohmist, no more than anyone is a magnetist or gravitationist or a germist.

ev·o·lu·tion·ist
ˌevəˈlo͞oSHənəst/
noun
noun: evolutionist; plural noun: evolutionists
  1. 1.a person who believes in the theories of evolution and natural selection.
"Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist" "Evolutionist"

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Because the only true argument creationists have for creationism is "God did it. :musicnotes:The Bible tells me so:musicnotes:" they're not left with much to work with, so they attack evolution, trying to persuade themselves and others that if evolution can be shown to have any holes in it at all then creationism wins by default.
I believe the 1980's court rulings against equal time for creationism referred to that as "contrived dualism". At the Dover trial, the plaintiffs used ID creationists' adherence to that same thing as part of their argument that ID is just another form of creationism.

Logically it's stupid reasoning; however, for those with a need to believe creationism is true it's all that's required. "Can't show me the transitional fossils I demand? Then creationism is true." "The Piltdown man was a forgery so how can anyone trust science? Therefore creationism is true." "The bacterial flagellum very complex. Therefore creationism is true." "I did not descend from a monkey. Therefore creationism is true.".
It's a strange thing to behold, isn't it?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe the 1980's court rulings against equal time for creationism referred to that as "contrived dualism". At the Dover trial, the plaintiffs used ID creationists' adherence to that same thing as part of their argument that ID is just another form of creationism.

It's a strange thing to behold, isn't it?
'Tis indeed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
ev·o·lu·tion·ist
ˌevəˈlo͞oSHənəst/
noun
noun: evolutionist; plural noun: evolutionists
  1. 1.a person who believes in the theories of evolution and natural selection.
Name me another theory where this "ist" is attached? Also, I "believe" evolution happens just as I "believe" in the effects of gravity. I don't believe in either. I know they happen and exist.
That definition is also poor, because natural selection is not the only mechanism that drives evolution (selective and sexual selection being two other common ones).

On Words: Believe and Know
Believe, although having some slim foundation in evidence, signifies something unprovable (or perhaps less provable), and thus less firmly based in evidence, than know, whose foundation is firmly based on the provable and demonstrable. For example, we may believe there is minimal cost to creating an ebook of a pbook, but we do not know what that cost is — we can’t prove it or demonstrate it. The same concept holds true for any belief, whether economic, cultural, religious, scientific, or something else.

Unlike know, believe covers a wide range of credulity. Know is more constrained; its verity must be demonstrable. Believe needs no more than the statement “I believe” something to be true, leaving it to the listener to supply the factual base — no matter how slim or wobbly — for where to place the belief on the continuum that ranges from pure speculation to pure fact.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one "believes" the sun rises in the East. It's silly to say we "believe" that, because it has been proven to be true millions and millions of times over.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Logically it's stupid; however, for those with a need to believe creationism is true it's all that's required. "Can't show me the transitional fossils I demand? Then creationism is true." "The Piltdown man was a forgery so how can anyone trust science? Therefore creationism is true." "The bacterial flagellum is very complex. Therefore creationism is true." "I did not descend from a monkey. Therefore creationism is true."

It's a bit worse than that - "God did it and I know how God did it and it was not through evolution"

Skwim

Veteran Member
Name me another theory where this "ist" is attached?
But evolution is not a theory. It's a scientifically accepted operation of nature, just as are volcanoes, which are studied by volcanologists, or geomagnetism which is studied by geomagneticists, or immunity, whose genetic characteristics are studied by Immunogeneticists.

The theory part of evolution only comes into play in explaining its operation. Today the term "The theory of evolution" has become nothing more than a creationist label meant to demean evolution, appropriated from Darwin's attempt to explain the evolution he saw. His theory was that all species arise and develop through the natural selection of small, inherited variations that increase the individual's ability to compete, survive, and reproduce.

Also, I "believe" evolution happens just as I "believe" in the effects of gravity. I don't believe in either. I know they happen and exist.
Good for you. :thumbsup:

That definition is also poor, because natural selection is not the only mechanism that drives evolution (selective and sexual selection being two other common ones).
But it does say "person who believes in the theories of evolution" which includes all the other mechanisms.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-10_12-9-13.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-10_12-9-13.jpeg
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's a bit worse than that - "God did it and I know how God did it and it was not through evolution"
Forgive me for dismissing your knowledge, but your "knowing" doesn't come with any credibility. If anything, I'd be far more comfortable with "gut feeling."

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
And what is its current state? Judging by the consistent theme I see from creationists in this and other forums, it seems to have been reduced to the rather simplistic argument of "challenge evolutionists to prove their claims to a 100% degree of certainty, and when they don't do that declare it to be a faith, no different than any other belief system".
I think this is a simplistic viewpoint.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But evolution is not a theory.
o_O
Evolution - Wikipedia
In the mid-19th century, Charles Darwin formulated the scientific theory of evolution by natural selection, published in his book On the Origin of Species (1859).
What is Darwin's Theory of Evolution?
The theory of evolution by natural selection, first formulated in Darwin's book "On the Origin of Species" in 1859, is the process by which organisms change over time as a result of changes in heritable physical or behavioral traits.
Definition of EVOLUTION
the scientific theory explaining the appearance of new species and varieties through the action of various biological mechanisms (such as natural selection, genetic mutation or drift, and hybridization)
Evolution Library: Topic Page
The extensive evidence in support of both fact and theory of evolution comes primarily from studies of the fossil record, molecular sequences, and comparative anatomy.
At least Creationists acknowledge evolution as a theory, even if they don't understand what a scientific theory actually entails and why it isn't at all like the way the word is used by many people in everyday life.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Forgive me for dismissing your knowledge, but your "knowing" doesn't come with any credibility. If anything, I'd be far more comfortable with "gut feeling."

Did you ever miss my intent. I was commenting on your note. Specifically on creationists who insist on Biblical literal readings and refuse to consider the "God is who, evolution is how" position.

Skwim

Veteran Member
https://www.livescience.com/474-controversy-evolution-works.html
When Darwin presented evolution to the public he presented its theory of operation. To simply say that evolution happened, would have been ridiculous. What was required was an explanation (his theory) of the how it happened. Hence his book: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection. (Natural selection being his theory of how evolution happens). Subsequently, it became popularly known as his "theory of evolution." Since then there have been several more theories advanced to explain its operation, so today one could rightfully say "The theories of evolution," but not "The theory of evolution."

As a student definition this isn't all that surprising. Popular usage definitions are purposely included in all general dictionaries. The shame is that "The theory of evolution" remains a popular label for "evolution."

But please note Merriam Webster's definition for non-students.

4 a : descent with modification from preexisting species : cumulative inherited change in a population of organisms through time leading to the appearance of new forms : the process by which new species or populations of living things develop from preexisting forms through successive generations
Evolution is a process of continuous branching and diversification from common trunks. This pattern of irreversible separation gives life's history its basic directionality. — Stephen Jay Gould​

"The extensive evidence in support of both fact and theory of evolution comes primarily from studies of the fossil record, molecular sequences, and comparative anatomy."​

Something is not both a fact and a theory. If something is a fact then any theory mentioned necessarily refers to a theory that might explain the fact.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
But evolution is not a theory. It's a scientifically accepted operation of nature, just as are volcanoes, which are studied by volcanologists, or geomagnetism which is studied by geomagneticists, or immunity, whose genetic characteristics are studied by Immunogeneticists.

The theory part of evolution only comes into play in explaining its operation. Today the term "The theory of evolution" has become nothing more than a creationist label meant to demean evolution, appropriated from Darwin's attempt to explain the evolution he saw. His theory was that all species arise and develop through the natural selection of small, inherited variations that increase the individual's ability to compete, survive, and reproduce.

Good for you. :thumbsup:

But it does say "person who believes in the theories of evolution" which includes all the other mechanisms.

I expect better than a silly image describing what one thinks.