• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess I don't see the point

We Never Know

No Slack
I guess I dont see the point. Is there something I am missing?

I don't participate in religious debates much at all because....
1. Its about belief and faith
2. Who am I to tell anyone their belief and faith is BS
3. Sometimes belief and faith is all someone has
4. I don't know if a god does exist or not
5. What do I gain by trying to tear others down

Those are 5 reasons why you don't see me participate in religious debates or discussion very much.

We Never Know

No Slack
I don't think that's necessarily what you're supposed to do anyway. You don't say "Your faith and belief is BS", you point out fallacies in what they write in their arguments.

Ok. Scenario...

You can't show evidence your god exist. The bible is full of lies. Your god is a myth. You got suckered into nonsense.

I just as well say your belief and faith are BS.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There are DIR and discussion sections for those who don't want to debate. Utilise them if debating offends you. It sounds like complaining about a pub selling beer.

Pubs... I avoid them!

Every time I got into one, someone tries to get me drunk...

The nerve!

We Never Know

No Slack
There are DIR and discussion sections for those who don't want to debate. Utilise them if debating offends you. It sounds like complaining about a pub selling beer.

What is the point of debating anyone about "their" belief and faith? To try to tear them down?
Faith and belief may be all someone has that keeps them going. Why would I want to take that way?

amorphous_constellation

It's also about behavior and history, and that can bleed into politics, which can affect people outside of an influential faith. Historical analysis can be applied to the approximate periods in history where religiously relevant events occurred, to determine their veracity. The behavior can translate into broader community standards.

Ok. Scenario...

You can't show evidence your god exist. The bible is full of lies. Your god is a myth. You got suckered into nonsense.

The hypothetical atheist who argues in such a fashion, is a mean person in my opinion, and is not going to qualify to debate his position in a civilized and non-hurtful way. I would prefer to take the details of religion under a microscope, insofar as I can, and then examine what those details mean, and determine if they really make rational sense, in comparison to alternative explanations. I try to do that tastfully

Moreover, the one who debates religion ought to even respect it, itself. It is mysterious and it is an enigma, and it's interesting. It did generate some useful material.

But I also don't avoid difficult passages, which I often run into. And so, I have to figure out what to say about them

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Faith and belief may be all someone has that keeps them going. Why would I want to take that way?
It would depend on what their faith motivates them to do.

If their faith motivates them to kill you I believe most people won't have qualms about removing what keeps them going.

The trouble is we are warmed up by degrees, and some won't see what i believe this kind of thinking leads to until its too late;

How Far Should We Go To Accommodate Religious Fanatics?

In my opinion.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Those are 5 reasons why you don't see me participate in religious debates or discussion very much.
I do participate in religious debates (despite not being religious myself) because:
  1. It is about justifying belief. People who want their believes to be coherent ask for help to make their believes as rational as possible. As a rational and kind person, I offer my expertise.
  2. Sometimes people want to proselytise using the debate form as a disguise. I feel compelled to not let them get away with that.
  3. Since I don't understand how someone can justify their believes, I'm interested in learning.
  4. I love to exercise my debating skills.
  5. I like to "proselytize" my believes and see how they fare against scrutiny. If they don't hold up, I'll have to change them.
  6. I learn new things.
That's why I, as an Agnostic, partake in religious debate. I don't want to destroy your faith but I assume you want it tested if you put it up for debate. I'm just helping you to order it to be consistent.

We Never Know

No Slack
It would depend on what their faith motivates them to do.

If their faith motivates them to kill you I believe most people won't have qualms about removing what keeps them going.

The trouble is we are warmed up by degrees, and some won't see what i believe this kind of thinking leads to until its too late;

How Far Should We Go To Accommodate Religious Fanatics?

In my opinion.

And if their faith keeps them from killing theirself?

I don't think there are too many terrorist on here talking about their religion and the need to kill you.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I just do discussion these days, as there's no name calling, typically.

danieldemol

Premium Member
And if their faith keeps them from killing theirself?

I don't think there are too many terrorist on here talking about their religion and the need to kill you.
If I were a betting man I'd wager there are not too many suicidal religious people on here talking about killing themselves either.

In my opinion.