• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Grok Sheldon Cooper

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, this isn't about our fellow poster...although he's grokworthy
too. BTW, I absolutely hate the laugh track on that show (Big
Bang Theory). Young Sheldon is a much better show...no laugh
track. (He'd be such an easy child to raise, eh. Alas, he's idealized.
No real kid would be that perfect.)

The writing for Sheldon speaks to me. His awkwardness with
social situations & conventions is so familiar. This came to me
when I recently offered a fellow poster some lilies because a
friend of his died.
What's that have to do with Sheldon? When someone is upset,
he offers a warm beverage. He doesn't know what else to do,
but he knows that his is an acceptable response. Like him, I'm
not comfortable saying anything what's normally appropriate,
eg, condolences. Any such thing seems perfunctory. But I'm
OK with offering flowers. Those seem to reliably go over well.

People & their emotions....those things have been difficult to
recognize & understand. And then dealing with them....ugh.
That's been a matter of not empathizing & understanding,
but instead figuring out ways to cope with their situations.

@Shadow Wolf & @RayofLight...any of this make sense to
yooz guyz?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...His awkwardness with
social situations & conventions is so familiar...
He is though a caricature -- like a cartoon. Nobody has all of the attributes of any of these people on this show. For example someone as dysfunctional as Sheldon would never make it in a university. Every show he makes such a mess that in a real life situation he'd be out on his ear and have no friends.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He is though a caricature -- like a cartoon. Nobody has all of the attributes of any of these people on this show. For example someone as dysfunctional as Sheldon would never make it in a university. Every show he makes such a mess that in a real life situation he'd be out on his ear and have no friends.
Of course they're caricatures. But there's a
large grain of reality in Sheldon Cooper's
social awkwardness & limited focus.

Audie

Veteran Member
No, this isn't about our fellow poster...although he's grokworthy
too. BTW, I absolutely hate the laugh track on that show (Big
Bang Theory). Young Sheldon is a much better show...no laugh
track. (He'd be such an easy child to raise, eh. Alas, he's idealized.
No real kid would be that perfect.)

The writing for Sheldon speaks to me. His awkwardness with
social situations & conventions is so familiar. This came to me
when I recently offered a fellow poster some lilies because a
friend of his died.
What's that have to do with Sheldon? When someone is upset,
he offers a warm beverage. He doesn't know what else to do,
but he knows that his is an acceptable response. Like him, I'm
not comfortable saying anything what's normally appropriate,
eg, condolences. Any such thing seems perfunctory. But I'm
OK with offering flowers. Those seem to reliably go over well.

People & their emotions....those things have been difficult to
recognize & understand. And then dealing with them....ugh.
That's been a matter of not empathizing & understanding,
but instead figuring out ways to cope with their situations.

@Shadow Wolf & @RayofLight...any of this make sense to
yooz guyz?

What is a iGrock

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, Sheldon is a caricature, but not nearly as much as many might think.

I have certainly known several people in the math and physics departments that have strong 'Sheldon' tendencies. So, maybe not a full-Sheldon, but at least a half-Sheldon.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
What is a iGrock
Grok - Wikipedia
Grok /ˈɡrɒk/ is a neologism coined by American writer Robert A. Heinlein for his 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land. While the Oxford English Dictionary summarizes the meaning of grok as "to understand intuitively or by empathy, to establish rapport with" and "to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment", Heinlein's concept is far more nuanced, with critic Istvan Csicsery-Ronay Jr. observing that "the book's major theme can be seen as an extended definition of the term."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've always hated that show, especially Sheldon, because it was later decided to describe his awkwardness and weirdness as being Asperger's. He didn't have it from the start. He was just a weirdo. And then decided apparently Asperger's is a good way to explain it.

Audie

Veteran Member

I have certainly known several people in the math and physics departments that have strong 'Sheldon' tendencies. So, maybe not a full-Sheldon, but at least a half-Sheldon.

Thats why i didnt think its funny.
More like a puh- lease, Ive already seen
this.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've always hated that show, especially Sheldon, because it was later decided to describe his awkwardness and weirdness as being Asperger's. He didn't have it from the start. He was just a weirdo. And then decided apparently Asperger's is a good way to explain it.
Yeah it is a **** show. :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

I must have been in a non-nerd department.
I thought @Revoltingest had just made it up ( mainly because there should be a c before the k ). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I must have been in a non-nerd department.
I thought @Revoltingest had just made it up ( mainly because there should be a c before the k ). :rolleyes:

In grok? Nope. it originally comes from A Heinlein book 'Stranger in a Strange Land', where a human child is raised by Martians and has rather unique abilities when returned to Earth. The word 'grok' means 'to drink', which is a big deal to Martians.

Audie

Veteran Member
In grok? Nope. it originally comes from A Heinlein book 'Stranger in a Strange Land', where a human child is raised by Martians and has rather unique abilities when returned to Earth. The word 'grok' means 'to drink', which is a big deal to Martians.

Our haggis chomper turned to drink?
This may be a Sign.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Are we sure he didn't mean gahg?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're saying his foibles aren't on the spectrum?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You're saying his foibles aren't on the spectrum?
I thought Sheldon had Asperger's the first day I saw the show, but I know a couple Aspies in real life. It's the social awkwardness. Interesting people, and I think kindness comes far easier if you know something about the condition.

pearl

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Last edited: