• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church. Here's why I left | Megan Phelps-Roper

Mark Dohle

I grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church. Here's why I left | Megan Phelps-Roper

I believe this is a very important talk given by a deeply intelligent young woman, who was able to break free of a toxic past.

John muir

I believe this is a very important talk given by a deeply intelligent young woman, who was able to break free of a toxic past.
Theology is incredibly dangerous. It only has itself to check itself. And when it begins to cut itself off from itself historically into a smaller and smaller reality this is the result. It also runs into the problem of self referntialism in context to itself in the larger body and over a long history. It is radically intellectual and is ultra philosophical and manifests totally political. Nonsense. That alone left to itself is disaster waiting to happen..Doctrine become the mantra and in a circle the church wanders in the wilderness of the intellect with an infinite set of wrongs.
Barely do sane voices ever penetrate that. St francis perfect example. Deeply beloved but not remotely understood. If he was he would be a major voice he isnt just a lovely thats all. At least the current pope has a clue.

Last edited:

Neutral Name

God bless you, Brother Mark. People like her family pick and choose their Bible verses. They don't know Jesus. They just know what they want to believe.

Neutral Name

God bless you, Brother Mark. People like her family pick and choose their Bible verses. They don't know Jesus. They just know what they want to believe.

Mark Dohle

Theology is incredibly dangerous. It only has itself to check itself. And when it begins to cut itself off from itself historically into a smaller and smaller reality this is the result. It also runs into the problem of self referntialism in context to itself in the larger body and over a long history. It is radically intellectual and is ultra philosophical and manifests totally political. Nonsense. That alone left to itself is disaster waiting to happen..Doctrine become the mantra and in a circle the church wanders in the wilderness of the intellect with an infinite set of wrongs.
Barely do sane voices ever penetrate that. St francis perfect example. Deeply beloved but not remotely understood. If he was he would be a major voice he isnt just a lovely thats all. At least the current pope has a clue.
Yes, we do not understand how we are directed by our inner fears and anxieties. Good comment.

peace
Mark

Neutral Name

Yes, I'm seeing more positive Christianity anywhere except the U.S. and places the U.S. Protestant missionaries go.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod: Absolutely no spam allowed. You will be banned from the forum if you try to advertise.***

4. Soliciting/Advertising and Off-Topic Spam
Soliciting or advertising for any content outside of the forums, whether your own or that of another person or group, is prohibited, and may be deleted by the staff on sight. This rule applies to any content area of the forum, including but not limited to the chat room, forum posts, profile information, private conversations, and signatures. Special exception may be granted to promote content in keeping with the mission of RF, but requires advance permission from the RF staff.

Spam or off-topic content is also not allowed on the forums. This includes (but is not limited to) posting links or images without discussion-promoting commentary, having a signature that violates signature size guidelines, posting surveys without permission from the RF staff, posts that deviate significantly from a thread topic or its intent, repetitious non-conversational posts, and any other habits deemed spammy by the staff.