• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got my new Atheist Bible from Ray Comfort

Jeremiah

Wrong. God has chosen the people of God to bring the gospel to humanity through its acts of charity based upon faith. The Bible was never an evangelical tool for the unbeliever.

No. The Bible was written for the communities of faith that produced the individual documents -- not for outsiders.

Do you leave a loaded gun out in the open at a daycare center? (book or not it does not really matter the "word of God" is a very bloody one)

Last edited:

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Why on earth would an atheist need a bible? ;)

I had one that my mom bought for me a long time ago. I gave it back to her fairly recently so she could sell it for me and she said "I'll hang on to this for you for when you change your mind." I thought it was funny, considering that she hasn't even ever read the bible as far as I know, and doesn't really believe in the bible's literal word.

I hope I didn't hurt her feelings when I gave it back to her... I just don't see a point in having a bible that I never read and never will read...

Man of Faith

fantôme profane;1633313 said:
What is your general overall opinion of the quality of Mr. Comforts comments in this book? Do you think it is intelligent, thoughtful, compelling? Do you think an atheist would find it intelligent, thoughtful, and compelling? Is he respectful of atheists or does he insult them?

I think it is intelligent and compelling but I'm biased in favor of God. I can see quite clearly the obvious evidence for God, but I have the Holy Spirit in me for discernment. I'm not sure what Ray Comfort's education or intelligence is but I believe he is sincere in his concern for the world and Atheists. If he believes that atheists and all those that don't repent and trust Jesus go to hell then naturally he would want to tell them, or warn them. If you know of a bridge out in the road you warn people.

I don't think that atheists in their natural state, without the Holy Spirit for discernment, will think it is intelligent or compelling. From my experience most want to see a peer-reviewed scientific document saying that there is a god in order to believe. That is wrong thinking in my opinion because science only deals with the created, not the creator. However I do believe that an atheist is more likely to get saved than a agnostic because atheists are actively opposing God and more than likely searching for the truth, reading, pondering, etc...

The thing about God's word is it doesn't convince you with logic, but with the Spirit. It is not illogical but that's not how God works. If I tried to argue with an atheist and prove that God is real it would fail. There are many things in the Bible that cannot be explained logically even though I believe they are real, like the trinity, the eternal nature of God, predestination vs free will etc... I believe that Ray knows this and just wants to get the Bible or the Word in as many hands as possible and let the Holy Spirit do the work. He does seem respectful to atheists, at least as respectful as they are to Christians. :p But of course during debates there are always passions running on both sides. With comments on both sides like "use common sense" or "delusions of grandeur" can seem disrespectful and he has some of those in there.

Man of Faith

There is something interesting in here, a page on "How famous Atheists went to meet their maker". It sounds quite Pascal's Wagerisk. "It is very sobering to read their names. They are all dead and gone. Think about that. They are gone forever. They are in eternity. The only thing that matters is, what did they do with Jesus Christ?"

George Carlin (comedian) Heart faiulure, died June 22, 2008
Arthur C. Clarke (author) Respiratory failure, died Marth 19, 2008
Sir Noel Coward (actor) Heart failure, died March 26, 1973
Marlene Dietrich (actress) Natural causes, died May 6, 1992
Friedrich Nietzsche (philosopher) Stroke, died August 25, 1900
Madalyn M. O'Hair (activist) Murdered, died September 29, 1995
George Orwell (author) Artery burse in lungs, died January 21, 1950
Richard Rodgers (composer) Cancer, died December 30, 1979
Bertrand Russel (philosopher) influenza, died February 2, 1970
Carl Sagan (scientist) Pneumonia, died December 20, 1996
Joseph Stalin (politician) Murdered, died March 5, 1953
Leon Trotsky (polititcian) Murdered, died August 21, 1940

I think I will read up on some of them on the internet and do some pondering of my on. I like to ponder eternity.

Last edited:

CarlinKnew

There is something interesting in here, a page on "How famous Atheists went to meet their maker". It sounds quite Pascal's Wagerisk. "It is very sobering to read their names. They are all dead and gone. Think about that. They are gone forever. They are in eternity. The only thing that matters is, what did they do with Jesus Christ?"

George Carlin (comedian) Heart faiulure, died June 22, 2008
Arthur C. Clarke (author) Respiratory failure, died Marth 19, 2008
Sir Noel Coward (actor) Heart failure, died March 26, 1973
Marlene Dietrich (actress) Natural causes, died May 6, 1992
Friedrich Nietzsche (philosopher) Stroke, died August 25, 1900
Madalyn M. O'Hair (activist) Murdered, died September 29, 1995
George Orwell (author) Artery burse in lungs, died January 21, 1950
Richard Rodgers (composer) Cancer, died December 30, 1979
Bertrand Russel (philosopher) influenza, died February 2, 1970
Carl Sagan (scientist) Pneumonia, died December 20, 1996
Joseph Stalin (politician) Murdered, died March 5, 1953
Leon Trotsky (polititcian) Murdered, died August 21, 1940

I think I will read up on some of them on the internet and do some pondering of my on. I like to ponder eternity.

Wow, a list of atheists who have died! This is sobering indeed. :eek:

Oh wait. For a second there, I forgot that atheists, theists, and even banana enthusiasts have a 100% mortality rate. If I make a list of dead republicans, will that convince you that the democratic party holds the truth?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know about the blood thing, but I suspect it's similar to the original form of reproduction: asexual reproduction. There are animals that can change their sex. And the most primitive and ancient form of life, bacteria, is able to reproduce by literally cloning itself.
And there are animals who can switch back and forth between sexual and asexual reproduction. I remember reading about a few species of insects that do this. Apparently it's an advantage when you have intermittent food sources (e.g. animal carcasses) to be able to switch back and forth between asexual reproduction, which can result in a very rapid population explosion when your offspring are born pregnant, and sexual reproduction, which introduces genetic variability back into the mix so that at least some of your offspring will survive the famine you know is coming.

Why on earth would an atheist need a bible? ;)
I think it's a good thing for an atheist to read, partly because it's good to base one's decisions on actual facts, partly because it has a major impact on our culture, and partly because there actually *is* some wisdom in it (there's also quite a bit of stuff I utterly reject, but it has made me think "hmm. I hadn't thought of that" a number of times).

However, those reasons all apply to the regular Bible. I'm not sure why we'd need a special "atheist" Bible.

There is something interesting in here, a page on "How famous Atheists went to meet their maker". It sounds quite Pascal's Wagerisk. "It is very sobering to read their names. They are all dead and gone. Think about that. They are gone forever. They are in eternity.
You know, almost every Christian who ever lived is dead, too.

The only thing that matters is, what did they do with Jesus Christ?"
No, that's not the only thing that matters.

I shudder to think what would happen if nobody worried about the mark they would leave on the world, and the legacy they created by their actions while alive and their effects on other people.

OmarKhayyam

I'd also like to comment that I love pineapple. I don't know why god didn't want me to be able to have it. :(

Yet despite the Almighty's cannon so firmly fixed against it WE have created - and enjoy- the pina-colada.

Duck

In the front part it answers some atheists questions, common mistakes, and objections. Let me know if anyone wants to ask a question and I will see what it says about it if anything. I'm sure most atheists have already heard answers to their questions and objections but if you are interested ask.

I will start with one objection: "The Bible has changed down through the ages"
Atheist Bible answer: In 1947 the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered which were copies of large portions of the Old Testament, a thousand years older than any other existing copies. Study of the scrolls has revealed that the Bible hasn't changed in content down through the ages. Anyone can now obtain access to computer programs that give the original Hebrew and Greek words and the only "changes" have been for clarity.

For example: 2 Corinthians 12:8
Old English: For this thing I besought the Lord thrice
Contemporary: Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times.

0701091425.jpg

So why would a group of unbelievers want to read your holy book? And why exactly do you think that doing so will convince them to convert?

Personally I have read the bible, mostly, once. Very much a contributing factor to leaving christianity, so I really wonder how one would expect the bible to convince someone to join your religion based on some comments by a biblical-literal-creationist in the front matter.

gnomon

I'm going to have to read this book. Of course, I'll only do so when I can get a free copy.

camanintx

I've heard this argument from Comfort before in his videos. I'm conflicted about it: on the one hand, he seems like he genuinely believes it, but on the other, I don't understand how he could completely miss its inherent fallacies.
Cognitive dissonance is the hallmark of all theists.

camanintx

I don't think that atheists in their natural state, without the Holy Spirit for discernment, will think it is intelligent or compelling. From my experience most want to see a peer-reviewed scientific document saying that there is a god in order to believe.
I would settle for a logically coherent definition.

gnomon

What is an atheist in the "natural state"?

Does David Attenborough have a special on this.

Twiglets also make me violent.
(I know, I know- not a Shaun' quote but close enough.)

I have no idea what Ray Comfort could possibly contribute to any literary, historical, or theological analysis to the OT and NT. I'm going to start phase II of the one-star atheist review conspiracy on Amazon.
Puppets make everything funnier.

Puppets do make everything funnier. Are pineapples forbotten because god didn't make them fit in our hands ? Maybe you have to watch all the teachings of Ray together to understand him properly. I will do it and let you know.