• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got a post in my Facebook thread from Madonna which discusses death.

james bond

First, I do not know whether songstress Madonna is a theist or non-theist and what her thoughts are on Christianity. I'm sure she has some opinions on death or Christianity because of her songs, videos, image, politics and the like. Here it is.

16142882_10154900602229402_7489268965334262092_n.jpg~original

So does she believe in the afterlife or not? Who are the others? :)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well, she is dead to me. Plus she looks like the Grim Reapers daughter anyways so what more fitting to be the ambassador of death

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Madonna is incorrect. We cannot speak directly to our past selves, but our past selves remain temporally permanent. For example we recently heard of the death of Carrie Fisher, but in the past which is equally as extant as our present she is still walking her dog. I know I am dead in the future, so technically I am a dead person who knows he is dead. Thus I have outsmarted Madonna, proving her wrong; unless of course that was not really one of her comments.

allfoak

Alchemist
If Madonna is stupid and she doesn't know it, then it doesn't bother her, it is only difficult for the others.:)

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
First, I do not know whether songstress Madonna is a theist or non-theist and what her thoughts are on Christianity.

Last I heard, she was pseudo-Jewish.

I'm sure she has some opinions on death or Christianity because of her songs, videos, image, politics and the like. Here it is.

The others are the people left behind. When you're dead, you're gone. The only people who care are those who are still alive. I guess the same can be said of the stupid, who are largely unaware of how idiotic they look to others.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think she was referring to her career prospects.

Like, seriously, we are supposed to muse over Madonna's superficial babbling now? Are we really that bored? Apparently.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe she does believe in an afterlife. She was raised Italian Catholic but moved on to more esoteric beliefs like the Kabbala and such.

But I think the thrust of that quote was against the 'stupid'. (maybe motivated by the Trump thing?)

Just my best guesses above. I had two cents to burn.

james bond

Madonna is incorrect. We cannot speak directly to our past selves, but our past selves remain temporally permanent. For example we recently heard of the death of Carrie Fisher, but in the past which is equally as extant as our present she is still walking her dog. I know I am dead in the future, so technically I am a dead person who knows he is dead. Thus I have outsmarted Madonna, proving her wrong; unless of course that was not really one of her comments.

Ok, I'll give you the future.

Just to respond to what you said about the past though. The past is not something that we can return to. It is gone. We cannot go back to change things as another universe existing or creating a parallel universe if we can go back and change things.

Assuming there is an afterlife, I thought Madonna was saying that we would be in a catatonic state awaiting resurrection, i.e. death is only the beginning. The others could be the living who mourn for us or the ones who didn't anticipate being in a state.

james bond

Last I heard, she was pseudo-Jewish.

The others are the people left behind. When you're dead, you're gone. The only people who care are those who are still alive. I guess the same can be said of the stupid, who are largely unaware of how idiotic they look to others.

Are the stupid you are referring to, the dead ones or the mourners? For the dead, I mean the state that they are in? I guess death means some catatonic state, but still conscious.

I suppose we do act stupid at times mourning the loss of someone.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
First, I do not know whether songstress Madonna is a theist or non-theist and what her thoughts are on Christianity. I'm sure she has some opinions on death or Christianity because of her songs, videos, image, politics and the like. Here it is.

It's only difficult for the stupid when you are dead?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, I'll give you the future.

Just to respond to what you said about the past though. The past is not something that we can return to. It is gone. We cannot go back to change things as another universe existing or creating a parallel universe if we can go back and change things.
The past continues to exist from what I can tell from youtube videos about relativity. It seems we are still there as much as here now.

Assuming there is an afterlife, I thought Madonna was saying that we would be in a catatonic state awaiting resurrection, i.e. death is only the beginning. The others could be the living who mourn for us or the ones who didn't anticipate being in a state.
She could be referring to the common belief that death is the end of conscious thought altogether.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Are the stupid you are referring to, the dead ones or the mourners? For the dead, I mean the state that they are in? I guess death means some catatonic state, but still conscious.

You're missing the point of what she said. The dead and the stupid are not the same people.

A Vestigial Mote

I concur with @Cephus - the actual meaning and wit of her comment has apparently eluded you.

james bond

I concur with @Cephus - the actual meaning and wit of her comment has apparently eluded you.

Ha ha. She's supposed to have a 160 IQ. It's a 2x double entendre. I get the political message of her being anti-Trump.

When you are Trump, you do not know that you are stupid. It is only difficult for the others. It is the same when you are liberal.

Milton Platt

Well, at least it wasn't a death threat.....

You cannot tell from this, of course. She could believe that there is no life after death (my suspicion) or she may think that you somehow are alive but have no memory of your death or your previous life. In which case, one wonders if the first life was not rather pointless with regard to the second, or continuing, life.

james bond

It wasn't addressed to me alone, so it prolly wasn't a death threat :).

I can accept your view. With Christianity, we have the resurrection, but also the final judgment after death which wasn't mentioned.