• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I give up on religion.

work in progress

or just get a motorbike and enjoy the freedom
Now that you mention it, I prefer a motorless bike for my meditation.

If you run long distances...at least one hour or more, once a week, or...what I am doing more often in recent years for practical reasons - a 48 mile bike ride on Saturday's when possible - the repetitive effort of performing the same movements for a long time, and away from the distractions of others - provides for me a lot of the benefits that meditators describe from their practice.

All I know is that during times in my life when I've tried to meditate, I end up more distracted and agitated than before I sat down and tried it! When I was young, I matched the ADHD profile that we hear about so much today. I, like most kids, was never diagnosed as ADHD....instead I was considered lazy and easily distracted....I'm just glad that I grew up in a time when you could learn a trade and earn a living with your hands, if you couldn't pay attention in class.

My attention span improved no doubt as I got older, but I suspect my aversion to these sit-down forms of mediation are aspects of that distracted personality. So, I guess I can meditate, and often feel that sensation mystics call Oneness, but only if I am doing something for a long time that requires a high level of physical exertion.

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
I know about him, but he never that interesting to me. Eastern philosophy isn't that interesting to me, period.

Against my better judgement, I would advice you to seek out Eastern philosophy precisely for the reasons you mentioned. You've never considered them, thus they are an alien, foreign realm for you. Buddhism, Taoism or perhaps Hinduism could all do it for you, maybe? Meditation lets you participate yourself, instead of being passively in waiting.

You sound like you could use something new to think about. And if not Eastern philosophies, why not try African beliefs? Stoicism and Epicureanism of ancient Greece? Many different systems exist. Don't give up just yet :3

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Just an update, guys. I'm sticking to my own form of polytheistic Satanism. But as a polytheist, I am definitely free to explore whichever cultures I please. Speaking of African beliefs, Vodoun is an interest of mine. Exu is definitely a deity that interests me.

I made this thread when I was going through a bad bout of depression. But I'm okay now.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, thats good news!! Lets hope it stays as such :3

Thanks, I'm doing a lot better. :) I've dealt with severe depression for years. I'm getting help now and am on medication so it's not as bad as it was. I still have some bad days and lows. But my lows aren't as low and don't last as long as they used to.

Leftimies

Thanks, I'm doing a lot better. :) I've dealt with severe depression for years. I'm getting help now and am on medication so it's not as bad as it was. I still have some bad days and lows. But my lows aren't as low and don't last as long as they used to.

I personally suffered from medium severity depression. So you got the less pleasant deal :/ Not that mine was "pleasant" either.

If you don't mind me asking, what helped you get back on top of things? (If you feel this is off-topic and outside the thread, I don't mind you answering via message).

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I personally suffered from medium severity depression. So you got the less pleasant deal :/ Not that mine was "pleasant" either.

If you don't mind me asking, what helped you get back on top of things? (If you feel this is off-topic and outside the thread, I don't mind you answering via message).

I was without health care for years. Last year, I finally got access to health care. I have a therapist and a psych nurse. I have a good doctor now too because I recently got health insurance. So I'm on an antidepressant that's working for me. Also, I'm transsexual and I've finally been able to start testosterone therapy last month. So things have gotten a lot better for me since I've been able to address my problems.

Leftimies

I was without health care for years.

Wow. Somebody's government reaalllyyy cares for their people D: without health care for years? Thats an outrage. I suppose I should quit whining about living in Finland, at least health care universal here.

That sure gave me some perspective, thanks.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Wow. Somebody's government reaalllyyy cares for their people D: without health care for years? Thats an outrage. I suppose I should quit whining about living in Finland, at least health care universal here.

That sure gave me some perspective, thanks.

Yeah, I'm unemployed and didn't have health insurance. My mom doesn't make enough to get health insurance through her job. So we didn't see doctors or anything for a long time. No, the government doesn't really care about the citizens. The one good thing that's happened is the expansion of Medicaid in some states, which is how I was able to get Medicaid.

You're welcome. Be thankful for what you have in Finland. You're better off than Americans.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No excuses! If you were really serious about replying to each and every post, you would have hired a social secretary by now. Pfft! All I hear are excuses!

Yes, leave it to Uncle Sunstone to keep things focused on what's really important!:D

Saint--I prefer calling you by your first name--I understand where you're coming from, having suffered from the Big D for many years. I think you've got a great attitude, and among the multitude of clunkers your friends are providing lie a few real gems. One of the first songs I learned how to play (badly) has already been referred to, by a certain group whose initials are GD: just keep on keepin' on, man!;)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Just an update, guys. I'm sticking to my own form of polytheistic Satanism. But as a polytheist, I am definitely free to explore whichever cultures I please. Speaking of African beliefs, Vodoun is an interest of mine. Exu is definitely a deity that interests me.

I made this thread when I was going through a bad bout of depression. But I'm okay now.

glad to hear you're feeling better. DO NOT HESITATE to contact if you're feeling it again.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, leave it to Uncle Sunstone to keep things focused on what's really important!:D

Saint--I prefer calling you by your first name--I understand where you're coming from, having suffered from the Big D for many years. I think you've got a great attitude, and among the multitude of clunkers your friends are providing lie a few real gems. One of the first songs I learned how to play (badly) has already been referred to, by a certain group whose initials are GD: just keep on keepin' on, man!;)

glad to hear you're feeling better. DO NOT HESITATE to contact if you're feeling it again.

Thanks, buddy, for the kind words! :)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I'm not leaving. Truthfully, what's making me unhappy probably isn't really religion/spirituality, but my severe depression and life circumstances. I would feel the same no matter what my beliefs at the moment are. Plus, depression makes being spiritual very hard as it is. I'm just having a rough time right now.

This.

It's almost impossible to seek comfort in religion when you are feeling so low. I would also say that part of your frustration might be in the fact that you are depending on a religion to safeguard you from negative life circumstances when what you might need is to just face those things in a practical way. Religion feeds and nourishes the soul, but action is the tool of your material existence. Take steps to help yourself emotionally, physically -since you are having problems in those areas. Let your reliance on religion rest for the time being. It can be a very good thing when you are emerging from a difficult time, but not very helpful when you're "in the thick of it". From there I would say, be patient with yourself. This is not a race, and you'll only make yourself miserable by treating it like one.

Hang in there. I hope circumstances improve for you soon.

:camp: