• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I give up on religion.

InvestigateTruth

... I feel no hope, comfort or anything..

I can offer a quote from Baha'u'llah, that helps me:

"The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion. It may, moreover, be likened unto the lifeless image of the beloved whom the lover hath sought and found, in the end, after long search and to his utmost regret, to be such as cannot “fatten nor appease his hunger.”

O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain." Baha'u'llah

GoodbyeDave

Sister Wendy Becket, the Catholic hermit and art historian (now, there's a job description!), said that she was once asked by a TV cameraman "I don't feel any need for a religion. Do you think that's wrong?" and she told him "If God wanted you to have a religion, you know. Just try to be a good person."

Have you been looking for a religious answer to all your problems? A deus ex machina? You do need to get out and do something, anything. That will give you a sense of purpose. In the mean time, consider yourself prayed for.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
It's too frustrating and it's not really doing anything for me. My life doesn't really change one way or the other. I don't "feel" any gods or even practice anything spiritual, anyway. My life is mostly crap and I live in a dump in a neighborhood I hate. I have zero social life and really only get out to go to a movie sometimes or to doctor's appointments. Otherwise, I pretty much never leave my apartment or interact with others, except for my mom. So why should I even bother with religion at all? It hasn't helped me. It has never really helped me. I have been Catholic, Satanist, Luciferian, Pagan, pantheist, etc. The most I've gotten from it is "nice" feelings. I feel no hope, comfort or anything. I like some of the symbolism but that's about all it's been for me in a long time. My spiritual life is dead.

Hey,Frank....life is beautiful and tomorrow maybe better than today.
Just be optimistic Buddy :slap:

[youtube]Gc4HGQHgeFE[/youtube]
LOOK AT YOURSELF AFTER WATCHING THIS.mp4 - YouTube

[youtube]hB60SVvZTEM[/youtube]
A Brief Interview with Stephen Hawking - YouTube

[youtube]W86jlvrG54o[/youtube]
Emmanuel Kelly The X Factor 2011 Auditions Emmanuel Kelly FULL - YouTube

[youtube]cB71vFTYWsM[/youtube]
Forgive Me - Ahmed Bukhatir (English Subtitles) - YouTube

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hey Frank, glad to see you are feeling better today ! You can see from this thread how many good friends you have here on the forum. That's a tribute to you ! :)

Thank you. I was going to request to have this thread deleted but decided not to since I'm enjoying the posts here. :)

:hug:

work in progress

Have you tried reading something by Alan Watts?

He's opinionated, but fun.
I came across a few of his lectures..or maybe it was portions of his lectures, posted online a few years back. I think he's a good reference for most westerners to go to, to understand the eastern philosophical approach to God, meaning and purpose in life etc.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I came across a few of his lectures..or maybe it was portions of his lectures, posted online a few years back. I think he's a good reference for most westerners to go to, to understand the eastern philosophical approach to God, meaning and purpose in life etc.

What is 'the eastern philosophical approach'?

What is the 'western philosophical approach?
From reading the forums, it varies greatly in both geological areas.

Serious question...btw, seems like many people are thinking whatever they were taught is universally taught or something.

ametist

It's too frustrating and it's not really doing anything for me. My life doesn't really change one way or the other. I don't "feel" any gods or even practice anything spiritual, anyway. My life is mostly crap and I live in a dump in a neighborhood I hate. I have zero social life and really only get out to go to a movie sometimes or to doctor's appointments. Otherwise, I pretty much never leave my apartment or interact with others, except for my mom. So why should I even bother with religion at all? It hasn't helped me. It has never really helped me. I have been Catholic, Satanist, Luciferian, Pagan, pantheist, etc. The most I've gotten from it is "nice" feelings. I feel no hope, comfort or anything. I like some of the symbolism but that's about all it's been for me in a long time. My spiritual life is dead.

You personality doesnt feel like someone who is destined to have no social life at all. Just like you can change your idea about religions that you want to follow you can also arrange to have a more lively social life. But having a lively expanding social life depends a lot on how you are feeling daily, so following doctors appointments are very good idea also to get to that goal.

Being close you your mother,is a very good thing on the other hand. Happy mothers day to her...:) There can be mothers day breakfasts or dinners arranged somewhere by some groups or organizations which you two can join and meet with other people and families. Lots of opportunity to make big and proggresive changes with small touches.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Why not just forget about religion and try to focus on the life all around you, I meet many people just going out for a coffee, you end up talking and it leads onto or can lead onto a friendship, you have to make the first move, the world isn't going to come to you, you have to go to it

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Why not just forget about religion and try to focus on the life all around you, I meet many people just going out for a coffee, you end up talking and it leads onto or can lead onto a friendship, you have to make the first move, the world isn't going to come to you, you have to go to it
Um... We're all on a religious forum lol...

but, anyway..:rolleyes:

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Um... We're all on a religious forum lol...

but, anyway..:rolleyes:

And there are many non-religious people whether they be a/theist or a/gnostic.

Being dismissive and sarcastic is something like picking a fight, and this is Frank's thread in a DIR, so please be courteous.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
And there are many non-religious people whether they be a/theist or a/gnostic.

Being dismissive and sarcastic is something like picking a fight, and this is Frank's thread in a DIR, so please be courteous.

I hope you don't see me as that, I was serious, sometimes its best to walk away from religion and discover life for yourself, its nothing to do with not believing or believing.