• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I found the goddess I want to serve

gnostic

The Lost One
I googled but I'm still not sure the difference between polytheism and henotheism. May you elaborate a bit more please?

Henotheism is the same as polytheism.

You would or do believe in many deities in the pantheon, but you have chosen to follow and worship only one god among many deities.

For instance, you may believe in all twelve Olympian gods and goddesses, but you would devote your life serving and worshiping Hestia (Roman Vestia) or Zeus (Jupiter) or someone else.

That’s henotheism: believing in many, but worshiping only one.

If you were a polytheist, you would believe in many and you would be worshiping many (or all of them).

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I live in a "Christian" country. When I hear God, I think religion. When I think religion, I think doctrine and truth claims.
Somebody who's been a member of a religious forum for coming up on 19 years should have outgrown this by now. ;)

(Sorry, but like you I am also a devoted follower of the goddess Sanctamonia. :D)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
May be a bit off topic, but is there like a "God of the gods"?

Like @JustGeorge said, it depends on one's worldview. In my experience, this is not the case, but I am also not inclined to hierarchical thinking, so I would not tend to interpret my experiences of the gods with top-down organizational schemes.

That said, if I recall correctly Greek and Roman traditions often regarded the Moirae (fates) as serious showstoppers. That is, they even govern the fates of other gods.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I believe I can serve Fortuna by being a fortune teller for my community. I have dabbled with fortune telling before, now I'm getting really serious about it.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Hindus have a similar concept about Goddess Lakshmi. It's said that you can invite her to come to your home, but the minute you try to "force" her to stay permanently in your place, she will disappear.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I believe I can serve Fortuna by being a fortune teller for my community. I have dabbled with fortune telling before, now I'm getting really serious about it.

Fortune telling was serious business with the Ancient Greeks, it was the domain of Apollon (Latin: Apollo).

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
@Xavier Graham May be a bit off topic, but is there like a "God of the gods"?

Technically Zeus (Latin: Jupiter) but he probably shares a lot of similarities with JHWH so I would understand if he wasn't your god of choice. ;)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Fortune telling was serious business with the Ancient Greeks, it was the domain of Apollon (Latin: Apollo).
!!!! I was intent on serving the god of the sun already!!! I will serve Apollo as well. Looks like I will have two shrines

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Like @JustGeorge said, it depends on one's worldview. In my experience, this is not the case, but I am also not inclined to hierarchical thinking, so I would not tend to interpret my experiences of the gods with top-down organizational schemes.

That said, if I recall correctly Greek and Roman traditions often regarded the Moirae (fates) as serious showstoppers. That is, they even govern the fates of other gods.

They were key figures in Norse mythology too.

syo

Fortuna the goddess

View attachment 70227

Fortuna - Wikipedia

Fortuna the goddess is the goddess of fortune. Too many times in my life has sheer luck saved me, or at the very least gotten me by.

Example, I have 20 cents to my name. Unlucky, right? Nah, I was able to make ends needs. Last month, I was shopping and I ended up with a penny in my bank account. If I worked for one minute less at my job I wouldn't have been able to afford what I needed.

Luck has saved my literal life before. I am lucky I am not dead or worse.

Growing up, I always attributed my uncanny luck to Jesus Christ blessing me more than others.

A higher power is helping me, and I believe it is Fortuna! I will make a shrine in her honor and burn incense in her presence! I am excited I have found my goddess to serve, I have been a dog without a master, but no more.
Now you're talking! :cool::)

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I wouldn't think he shares much with JHWH at all, but was interested how you saw this?

Maybe I am influenced by my background as an ex-Christian, which you may not have, and maybe it's more of a father archetype than a real similarity, but the original JHWH was a tribal god caring for a specific people. Both are often depicted as "bearded old men", they both live in the sky. Both had the bull ("golden calf") as their symbol and both fathered children with human partners, JHWH just once (in case you accept belief in Jesus), Zeus did several times. Of course many Greek deities sired children with both human and divine partners, but I think fathering children with a human partner is both Zeus' and "God's" most prominent feature.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe I am influenced by my background as an ex-Christian, which you may not have, and maybe it's more of a father archetype than a real similarity, but the original JHWH was a tribal god caring for a specific people. Both are often depicted as "bearded old men", they both live in the sky. Both had the bull ("golden calf") as their symbol and both fathered children with human partners, JHWH just once (in case you accept belief in Jesus), Zeus did several times. Of course many Greek deities sired children with both human and divine partners, but I think fathering children with a human partner is both Zeus' and "God's" most prominent feature.

Interesting take.
I'm ex-Christian as well (CofE) although it seems strange even typing that given how long it's been. I was quite young when I left the church.

I can see some loose 'paternal' associations, in terms of God being seen as a paternal figure by at least some Christian groups, with the stylised representations that follow.
My thinking was about the immense differences, though, in areas like Creation. Zeus wasn't a creator God, nor omnipotent, omnipresent, etc.
This also impacts on how they fathered children. Zeus literally fathered children through some pretty offbeat sexual practices, including deception, incest, and what would be called rape in modern terms, all while donning various guises, including as a swan and a shower of gold. JHWH on the other hand created a child within a woman without a sexual act, and whilst the question of consent is somewhat interesting (if definitionally dealt with my Christian theology) the child was also not separate from God, assuming trinitarian beliefs.