• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I found the goddess I want to serve

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Fortuna the goddess

upload_2023-1-6_11-10-21.png

Fortuna - Wikipedia

Fortuna the goddess is the goddess of fortune. Too many times in my life has sheer luck saved me, or at the very least gotten me by.

Example, I have 20 cents to my name. Unlucky, right? Nah, I was able to make ends needs. Last month, I was shopping and I ended up with a penny in my bank account. If I worked for one minute less at my job I wouldn't have been able to afford what I needed.

Luck has saved my literal life before. I am lucky I am not dead or worse.

Growing up, I always attributed my uncanny luck to Jesus Christ blessing me more than others.

A higher power is helping me, and I believe it is Fortuna! I will make a shrine in her honor and burn incense in her presence! I am excited I have found my goddess to serve, I have been a dog without a master, but no more.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
@Xavier Graham, have you seen the website Theoi.com? It's a scholarly website and one of my favorite sites about the Classical World. Your goddess was originally call Tyche by the Greeks. Here's the link: TYCHE (Tykhe) - Greek Goddess of Fortune & Luck (Roman Fortuna)

In case you couldn't make out what Fortuna has with her in that statue picture you posted, she's leaning on a ship's rudder and she's holding a cornucopia. That statue is on display in the Pio-Clementino Museum in Vatican City.

Wishing you good fortune, however you come by it! :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Fortuna the goddess

View attachment 70227

Fortuna - Wikipedia

Fortuna the goddess is the goddess of fortune. Too many times in my life has sheer luck saved me, or at the very least gotten me by.

Example, I have 20 cents to my name. Unlucky, right? Nah, I was able to make ends needs. Last month, I was shopping and I ended up with a penny in my bank account. If I worked for one minute less at my job I wouldn't have been able to afford what I needed.

Growing up, I always attributed my uncanny luck to Jesus Christ blessing me more than others.

A higher power is helping me, and I believe it is Fortuna! I will make a shrine in her honor and burn incense in her presence! I am excited I have found my goddess to serve, I have been a dog without a master, but no more.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
There's a movie on Apple TV+ called "Luck". Tyche/Fortuna is not featured in it, but this thread in general reminds me of that movie because fortune/luck/fate are key concepts of it. If your main Goddess is Fortuna maybe you should watch Luck in her honor? Be aware though that it's a children's movie and uses 3D animation.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Tell me about her. :)

What's she like? What are some of her stories?
I believe she saved my (ex) wife's life a few years ago. The wifey was driving my car down the highway and she accidentally veered off the road into a ditch filled with water. The car was completely totaled. There just happened to be a car behind my wife and they turned around and went to the ditch. They pulled her out before she could drown. The first responders were absolutely amazed that my wife was unscathed. She wasn't even wearing a seatbelt! Fortuna must've known that my wife's death would have absolutely destroyed me, so she granted a stay on her life.
Fortuna is extremely patient. I have made so many poor choices, and she granted me mercy and bestowed on me her fortune.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Fortuna is a good one. Enjoy your exploration of devotional polytheism! Or is it going to be more of a henotheism for you? In any case, it's the journey, not the destination. :D

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Fortuna is a good one. Enjoy your exploration of devotional polytheism! Or is it going to be more of a henotheism for you? In any case, it's the journey, not the destination. :D
I googled but I'm still not sure the difference between polytheism and henotheism. May you elaborate a bit more please?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I googled but I'm still not sure the difference between polytheism and henotheism. May you elaborate a bit more please?

A polytheist acknowledges there are multiple deities, and also actively worships or honors multiple deities.

A henotheist acknowledges there are multiple deities, but only worships or honors a single deity.

Of course you could be neither and instead a monotheist who acknowledges there is only one deity, and then worships or honors only that deity too, but I tend to assume those who gravitate towards traditionally polytheistic gods aren't taking a monotheistic approach with them. Correct me as needed. :D

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
A polytheist acknowledges there are multiple deities, and also actively worships or honors multiple deities.

A henotheist acknowledges there are multiple deities, but only worships or honors a single deity.

Of course you could be neither and instead a monotheist who acknowledges there is only one deity, and then worships or honors only that deity too, but I tend to assume those who gravitate towards traditionally polytheistic gods aren't taking a monotheistic approach with them. Correct me as needed. :D
May be a bit off topic, but is there like a "God of the gods"?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

I want to be a polytheist. I am intrigued by the god of the sun as I live in the sunniest place on earth. So I think this offers me a unique opportunity to align my interests with that god. I love the sun

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Fortuna the goddess

View attachment 70227

Fortuna - Wikipedia

Well, thanks to Carl Orff, she's got great theme music -- shows up in lots of movies.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everyone serves someone or something. Perhaps deriding this as "magical thinking," even if unintentionally, isn't the best approach to helping others find a meaningful life path for themselves.
A meaningful path, or an ontological Truth? I was commenting on the latter.
Maybe it's just me, but when I hear God or Goddess, I think truth-claim. :oops:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Real devotion would be to love her bad luck as well as her good luck, but I doubt anyone wants to do that. I would just stay away and try not to tick her off. Send money, etc.

"Fortuna, please stay away and enjoy this cash. Thank you." -- Bricky

I imagine it somewhat like the relationship of Thanos to Lady Death. How does a person actually date Death? What is revealed in the authors (Marvel) is that Lady Death is not pleased when Thanos tries to destroy *all* life. What she wants is continual births and deaths in greater numbers. Hence Thanos repents of his plans to destroy all life and decides to go for balance instead. (Way, way before the films.)