• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I feel whole for the first time in my life.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Why does something you wear defines you?

I'm a straight male, but I'm gonna have a go at answering this one anyway.
When there are strong expectations on someone...whether those come from self, culture, family, religion, law, or some combination, then it's entirely possible for people to put on a mask, and carry on their lives as if they conform. This is a metaphorical mask, rather than a physical one, but hopefully you get what I mean.

For some people, than can be powerful to the point of self-delusion. They're not lying about their sexuality (or whatever it is they're hiding), they literally believe themselves to be something they are not. Removing that mental mask can be difficult for many reasons. And sometimes a physical action can help someone to see themselves in a new light. Or rather, to see themselves without that mental mask they've constructed.

Of course, I can't speak to a specific situation. I'm just talking from a psychological point of view. It's not necessarily the makeup defining him. It can be the makeup allowing him to change his perspective, and better align what he's seeing and what he's feeling.

Or not. I'm not going to pretend I can psycho-analyze someone over the internet. But that is at least a plausible explanation for your question.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am sorry, but here is forum for communication. Have I insulted his ideas again? If yes, then surely no him, but his ideas.

It is indeed a forum for communication. And I'm communicating with you, am I not?

I think it's a poor idea to give specific psychological advice when you are both not qualified, and effectively flying blind on the impact or nature of the advice you are giving. However, if you have any idea what was happening in @Seeker of White Light 's life at the age of 20, and you are able to judge that he was well balanced, happy, and seemed to be in a good place sexually at that time, then I'll withdraw my comment. For me, I just think you completely made up your advice. Hence 'I don't think you should be providing psychological advice.'

Sorry if I wasn't clear previously.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How does that make you ""I am clearly not as straight as i thought i was"

I think even acknowledgement that sexuality is more a continuum than a binary would make one 'not as straight as I thought I was'.
Once upon a time (back when dinosaurs roamed...ahem...) I was a young man, and figured people were either 100% straight, or 100% gay. Because I was 100% straight. No doubt about it.

And I'm still straight. But I don't really think of sexuality as binary and fixed now. So with that being the case...who the f knows? Maybe I'm only 99% straight. Or 98%. Or...whatever.

But that step from believing sexuality is fixed and binary, to believing it is not kinda makes you less straight by definition, if not in actuality.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have super-ability to guess right that is needed to say.

I'm just surprised you don't dislocate your shoulder whilst so vigorously patting yourself on the back.
And you don't. Firing off advice blindly as you are is kinda...well...I'm hoping people are smart enough to ignore that sort of advice.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Please recall me that advice was. To recall time of tradition?

Like I said mate...if you have any idea what was happening in his life when he was 20, and that's why you gave the advice, more power to you.
Anyways...I guess @Seeker of White Light is big enough to make his own choices. I'm just glad to see him exploring things, whatever his final decision is. Heck, maybe his final decision is to not MAKE a final decision. That would be cool.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I guessed that at the age of 20 he was holding ideas of his mother and father. Such persons love us very much, much more than you do.

Some mothers and fathers do, for sure. Some are complete pieces of crap.
That is reality.
And you have no idea which his parents are.

This conversation is really going nowhere, mate.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Again, I gained some ban momentum. Please, show tolerance to a devoted Christian. I am not always sinning.

Ban momentum?
I don't think you've done anything wrong in terms of breaching forum rules or anything like that. And I suspect your advice is based on what you think is helpful. We're just having a disagreement of opinions. It happens.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I guessed that at the age of 20 he was holding ideas of his mother and father. Such persons love us very much, much more than you do.
I took care of my sick parents when I was 20 years old i lost my father when I was 23.

My life has been dedicated to help others not my self

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm a straight male, but I'm gonna have a go at answering this one anyway.
When there are strong expectations on someone...whether those come from self, culture, family, religion, law, or some combination, then it's entirely possible for people to put on a mask, and carry on their lives as if they conform. This is a metaphorical mask, rather than a physical one, but hopefully you get what I mean.

For some people, than can be powerful to the point of self-delusion. They're not lying about their sexuality (or whatever it is they're hiding), they literally believe themselves to be something they are not. Removing that mental mask can be difficult for many reasons. And sometimes a physical action can help someone to see themselves in a new light. Or rather, to see themselves without that mental mask they've constructed.

Of course, I can't speak to a specific situation. I'm just talking from a psychological point of view. It's not necessarily the makeup defining him. It can be the makeup allowing him to change his perspective, and better align what he's seeing and what he's feeling.

Or not. I'm not going to pretend I can psycho-analyze someone over the internet. But that is at least a plausible explanation for your question.
Yes... that is a good point... And removing a mental mask is very difficult.

But, imv, eventually we have to know who we are regardless of what we feel because feelings are fickle.

For an example, if I know that I am made in God's image and I am forgiven, if I encounter a feeling that I am not made in God's image and I am condemned, I can throw that feeling away because I know who and what I am.