• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Feel Remorseful for the British Public

Bob Jones

Prove It!
Last year, I read an excellent biography of Karl Marx. I had no idea that he was public enemy number one on the continent and who finally settled down in England. Even in England, governments sent agents to make Marx´s life miserable. One agent pestered the hell out of Members of Parliament. The query was, "Why has the British Government tolerated Marx´s political beliefs". One MP retorted that Mr. Marx was free to say what he wanted. That actions were the only concern.
Now look at the UK. Thought control police. It makes no difference if it is a letter to the editor or a sign posted on your front yard.If you say something that some does not like, then off to court you are. Now,new rules have came into force in June prohibiting depictions of gender that “are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence”
What has happened to the UK? I always thought it was the hallmark of free speech!.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Last year, I read an excellent biography of Karl Marx. I had no idea that he was public enemy number one on the continent and who finally settled down in England. Even in England, governments sent agents to make Marx´s life miserable. One agent pestered the hell out of Members of Parliament. The query was, "Why has the British Government tolerated Marx´s political beliefs". One MP retorted that Mr. Marx was free to say what he wanted. That actions were the only concern.
Now look at the UK. Thought control police. It makes no difference if it is a letter to the editor or a sign posted on your front yard.If you say something that some does not like, then off to court you are. Now,new rules have came into force in June prohibiting depictions of gender that “are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence”
What has happened to the UK? I always thought it was the hallmark of free speech!.
In Manchester we have just erected a new statue to Marx's mate Engels.
You can do an Engels and Marx guided walk...
Engels & Marx in Manchester: Walkers of the World Unite! | Manchester Walks

Not all of the UK, is right wing.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Thought control police. It makes no difference if it is a letter to the editor or a sign posted on your front yard.If you say something that some does not like, then off to court you are. Now,new rules have came into force in June prohibiting depictions of gender that “are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence”

The link is about is advertising standards, not freedom of speech. Nobody's been taken to court - some adverts have been banned. I really wish that was the worse "problem" the UK was facing....

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd rather have weird gender neutral advertisements than school shootings.

Bob Jones

Prove It!
The question is; how much governmental meddling will there be until all freedom of expressions are banned?

Earthtank

Not just the UK. The same thing is happening in the US

Earthtank

I know that the EU has swallowed liberal fascism hook, line and sinker and you cannot say a word without fear of receiving a fine through the mail.

You can't even answer a question honestly anymore in the US. You can't even have a different opinion, even if you did not act on that opinion. Did you hear about the Google Engineer that got fired? I think his name was James Damore. All he did was answer questions without being biased about the diversity in the tech field. If you haven't, i recommend you look it up.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I know that the EU has swallowed liberal fascism hook, line and sinker and you cannot say a word without fear of receiving a fine through the mail.
So how come we have a right wing loon in charge of the UK; not to mention Italy, Hungary, Poland, etc.

Bob Jones

Prove It!
Do you consider Mrs May as a right winger? Please tell what has Italy, Poland and Hungary done to deserve such a name? Can you cite any laws passed by their Parliament, or do you base your opinion on television accounts? Historically moderately conservative governments have upheld your right to free speech. It is liberal Fascist who burn down buildings, spray gas in your face and break windows.

Bob Jones

Prove It!
"Liberal fascists"; that's funny.
Pure the greatest political misunderstanding in history is a working definition of fascism.I have a thread about liberal fascism. Everyone thinks of fascism as Hitler killing Jews. That is not fascism.

Now,new rules have came into force in June prohibiting depictions of gender that “are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence”

The question is; how much governmental meddling will there be until all freedom of expressions are banned?

If you regulate advertisements (which have been regulated since the early/mid 20thC), then you must also ban all freedom of expression.

Thems the rules after all...

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Pure the greatest political misunderstanding in history is a working definition of fascism.

The definition of a word is what it means to people now. Arguing about terminology is futile.

The term "liberal fascism" is nonsensical in contemporary English because fascism is "an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization" while liberal means "(in a political context) favouring individual liberty, free trade, and moderate political and social reform". So, if you want to accuse the EU of "swallowing" something, you'll have to express yourself more clearly.

The idea that "you cannot say a word without fear of receiving a fine through the mail" is simply false.