• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I feel like I might soon be a seeker...again.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
A few months back, I adopted Hinduism, after practicing Buddhism for about a year. I was drawn to the history, the deities, philosophy and rituals.

I absolutely love (and will probably always love) Shiva, Ganesha, Mahadevi, Hanuman, Narasimha, puja, aartis, meditation and the stories of the Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita. However...

While I love the deities, the practices, philosophy and stories, I feel as if I'm still missing something. Not like how I was missing something when I was practicing Buddhism, but like I'm not fully devoted to my Hindu practice; and feeling as if I will never be. I have this feeling of mixing many practices to the point that I feel as if I'm making a mockery of the Sanatana Dharma.

I'm not leaving Hinduism as of yet. I still go to temple (and probably will still go even if I stop identifying as such) and will always love the deities and will perform puja for them (once I start doing home pujas). What I am going to do is re-evaluate my beliefs and see if Hinduism is really right for me.

Here are my beliefs:

-There is an infinite reality we call "God". The deities from the world's many religions are faces we have given it to try to know it better. This could probably be summed up as "Henotheism".

-Transtheism is my personal concept of God. To me, God is impersonal, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to get to know it.

-Knowledge is HIGHLY important. Possibly more than devotion. Although I certainly do have my devotion.

-Rituals, practices, meditation, prayer, etc., are our expressions of trying to know God.

-Living a good life and compassion are more important than obsessing over an afterlife.

-Speaking of which, I do believe in an afterlife of sorts (as well as reincarnation/rebirth), but it is not the most important part of my practice.

-I believe in Karma, but in a cause-and-effect sense; not as a cosmic judge.

-Life and the universe are just how they are, and we are simply along for the ride. There is nothing we can do to change that fact, but we can try to make the best of it.

-I'm 100% non-dualistic.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Maija

I would say give it time, know that every path has its ups and downs-especially in the beginning and especially when we have recently come from a conversion that didn't end up suiting us.

I am pretty much in the same boat. Don't give up what inspires and touches you too soon..also its important to remember that just because you may differ on certain stances does not mean its a match that can't work...

hang in there..sorry if poorly worded, need sleep :)

Kalidas

stary my dear friend you just do what is right okay? Don't worry about what people will say or think, just go with what "feels right". Think on it, pray on it, except it. The Gods would never want to "imprison" you if you in fact do not belong. Remember you can always PM if you need to, I am convert like you so I understand where you are coming from.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Hi there,

Have you tried looking into Sikhi? It is monotheistic but there is one God for all humans whom different people have given different names. Its not an exclusive God (like for a chosen nation) but for every creature. Knowledge is indeed very important in Sikhi, but knowledge which leads to pride and mindless debates is shunned. Meditiation and prayer are forms to experience God right here on earth and there is also the concept of thanking god (Ardas). More emphasis is placed on living a good life and experiencing the one than obsessing over heaven, hell or salvation. There is an afterlife and there is also Karma.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Honestly, what you've described isn't far from Judaism. It's pretty close to what I believe.