• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't want to be a "real" Christian

nutshell

With all the Mormon bashing that's been going on recently, I've decided I don't want to be a "real" Christian. I know who I am and I know my relationship with God. The example set by "real" Christians of late seems distant from the "real" Christ of the New Testament. I seem to remember some scripture about a beam in "your own eye." The "real" Christians would do well to remember that.

Anyway, I guess you "real" Christians win. I know I'm not a part of your club.

Bummer. :rolleyes:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Any group that feels the need to put "real"(tm) in front of thier title isn't a group that is open and loving.
I'd much rather stick with plain old "christians" than any "real christians"(tm).

Just remember that those that bash, do so out of discomfort with thier own faith.

wa:do

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there such as thing as surreal christians?

How about ether-real christians?

I figure if you're going to adopt a designation that's pretty much come to be meaningless, might as well get creative.
icon14.gif

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Man! I wanna be a real Christian, so I can go around drawing distinctions between people, excluding others and telling them that thy're going to wind up in hell because they believe differently from me ... just like Jesus did!

Oh well ... I guess I'll have to settle for being one of those nasty, fake Christians, who insists on radical, inclusive love, even though it goes against convention...

That's too bad, because I'm sure Jesus would want me to be a real Christian, even if it's at the expense of someone else's spiritual well-being.

lunamoth

Will to love
Man! I wanna be a real Christian, so I can go around drawing distinctions between people, excluding others and telling them that thy're going to wind up in hell because they believe differently from me ... just like Jesus did!

Oh well ... I guess I'll have to settle for being one of those nasty, fake Christians, who insists on radical, inclusive love, even though it goes against convention...

That's too bad, because I'm sure Jesus would want me to be a real Christian, even if it's at the expense of someone else's spiritual well-being.

You do realize Soj that this will cast you as the wolf in sheep's clothing, in service of the anti-christ and responsible (directly or indirectly) for the gaining foot-hold of the One-World Government and impending Armageddon.

Surely you know that inclusivity and a heretical leaning toward unconditional love and universalism represents the long slide down to hell on earth.

Draka

Wonder Woman
No "real" man takes orders from a woman.
No "real" woman serves her man.
No "real" mother lets her daughter play football.
No "real" father lets his son play with dolls.
No "real" Wiccan uses "grey" magic.
No "real" Christian lets people believe what they want.
No "real" basketball player is shorter than 6 feet tall.
No "real" ....yadda yadda yadda

All sounds pretty lame doesn't it?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
doppelgänger;850316 said:
You're always welcome among the rest of us heretics.

:camp::shrug:
Yeah, we'll sign you right up. You'll get the honorary badge and we'll teach you the secret handshake. Oh, and we have bingo night on Tuesdays.

sojourner

You do realize Soj that this will cast you as the wolf in sheep's clothing, in service of the anti-christ and responsible (directly or indirectly) for the gaining foot-hold of the One-World Government and impending Armageddon.

Surely you know that inclusivity and a heretical leaning toward unconditional love and universalism represents the long slide down to hell on earth.

This is something that has always bothered me about the "real" Christian.

They want the whole world to be united under Christ, which just begs the establishment of a government (based in Christianity) which will safeguard and promote the religion within the society-at-large. Then, they want every nation to have the same sort of government. Then, they want everyone to believe as they do. Doesn't this sort of promote the establishment of the one-world government?

sojourner

No "real" man takes orders from a woman.
No "real" woman serves her man.
No "real" mother lets her daughter play football.
No "real" father lets his son play with dolls.
No "real" Wiccan uses "grey" magic.
No "real" Christian lets people believe what they want.
No "real" basketball player is shorter than 6 feet tall.
No "real" ....yadda yadda yadda

All sounds pretty lame doesn't it?
Redneck
Militant Feminist
Soccer Mom
Homophobe
Snob
Fundie
Elitist

Imagine a world without these people:

We'd have world in which women were equal to men, in which we respected and helped each other, in which people were free to express themselves in their own way, free to worship and practiced as they wished, in which the physically underendowed were not excluded.

God, I'd hate to live there!

Random

...realistically speaking, you're as Christian as your capacity for kindness, good and weal allows.

That is what those who ignorantly marginalise you and your faith do not and never will understand, because it is not in them to comprehend.

Smile, and let their words run off your shoulders like water. :)