• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't understand Pantheism

idav

Being
Premium Member
The universe is the most powerful thing we know of and the matter and energy that makes up the universe is essentially eternal.

mycorrhiza

When it comes to naturalistic pantheism it fills the same spot that God does for theists. It's worthy of reverence and awe, it's beautiful and fills us with peace, collectively it's both powerful and extremely complex.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When it comes to naturalistic pantheism it fills the same spot that God does for theists. It's worthy of reverence and awe, it's beautiful and fills us with peace, collectively it's both powerful and extremely complex.

I would apply this to pantheism in general, not just naturalistic. Took the words out of my mouth.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I think it's hard to objectively determine whether it is beautiful and fills us with peace, the universe isn't that much of a peaceful place. It is complex and powerful to us as well. It doesn't necessarily mean it is a god though?

That god would be all-encompassing, that all is one, etc.

Good point

Bob Dixon

>implying
Existence (i.e. truth, reality, etc) is, to me, worthy of worship. That makes it God, because only God is worthy of worship.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What makes the universe God?
The same thing that makes the universe not God: an artificial dividing line.

Edit: Let me explain. As long as you are holding two things to be one, there is a dividing line between them. Pantheism is the elimination of a few important dividing lines.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's hard to objectively determine whether it is beautiful and fills us with peace, the universe isn't that much of a peaceful place. It is complex and powerful to us as well. It doesn't necessarily mean it is a god though?

It's not supposed to be objective. Nothing I can think of about god-concepts is remotely objective no matter what kind of god-concept you're talking about. It's all about what you want it to be. Objectivity isn't the point. IMHO, if you're trying to be objective about the sublime emotional experience of what is sacred and inspiring to, you're completely missing the point. It's a fundamentally subjective and emotional experience.

I suppose I should add that I do not personally whitewash the gods (or the universe/reality... same thing in my book). Some do, but I would never say reality is entirely peaceful. It is change, it is transformation, it is constancy, it is chaos, it is... well... everything.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Cause it has all the power? :shrug:

If you are an animist, I would believe pantheism (or panentheism) is the most logical position.

I mean, if the universe has a "personality" how could that not be THE god? :p

I admit I don't understand it either. From a Christian point of viewIf one understands the Nicene Creed in a literal fashion, Christ ascended into heaven and sits at the Right Hand of God the Father (Καὶ ἀνελθόντα εἰς τοὺς οὐρανοὺς καὶ καθεζόμενον ἐκ δεξιῶν τοῦ Πατρός). Thus from this we might ascertain that God "exists" in Heaven, transcends His creation, and therefore He is distinct from creation.

Me Myself

Back to my username
From a Christian point of view, Jesus pretty straightforwardly remembered us we are Gods, we have the power when we have faith and he is one with all of us as he is one with the Father.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Πολυπέρχων Γʹ Νικο;3134086 said:
Wrong.

According to the Bible, Jesus is uniquely the Christ. He is God, through Whom all things were made, and He alone is God in human flesh.

That´s not what Jesus said.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The universe expands, evolves, brings forth life, gives rise to self awareness and conscious creativity.

These things are all transcendent in nature.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Πολυπέρχων Γʹ Νικο;3134096 said:
Tell me where Jesus said everyone is God, then.

When he is asked how can he say he is God if he is a man, he replies "doesn´t god says in the scriptures "you are gods"? "

I have no question Jesus was a Pantheist or panentheist. It is pretty clear.

Also, when he says that which you do with th least of my brothers you do to me, he is including all of us in him, which is basically a panentheist or pantheist remark of we being part of or equal to God.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Πολυπέρχων Γʹ Νικο;3134096 said:
Tell me where Jesus said everyone is God, then.
John 10:34-35
34 Jesus answered them, “Isn’t it written in your scripture,[i] I said, you are gods?(AI)[j] 35 If He called those whom the word(AJ) of God came to ‘gods’—and the Scripture(AK) cannot be broken—​

From Psalm 82
God has taken His place in the divine assembly;
He judges among the gods:[a](B)
2 “How long will you judge unjustly
and show partiality to the wicked?(C)Selah
3 Provide justice for the needy and the fatherless;
uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute.(D)
4 Rescue the poor and needy;
save them from the power of the wicked.”(E)
5 They do not know or understand;
they wander in darkness.(F)
All the foundations of the earth are shaken.(G)

6 I said, “You are gods;(H)
you are all sons of the Most High.(I)
7 However, you will die like men
and fall like any other ruler.”(J)

8 Rise up, God, judge the earth,
for all the nations belong to You.​

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Isn't there a prayer of jesus to 'the father' something like, "May they be one with you as you and I are one"? Perhaps he was praying that all of humanity might realize (understand, accept, embrace, know) it's godhood?
It certainly wouldn't make sense for him to pray for a thing that were not possible. That said, the bible at its best is metaphorical- symbolic- and self interpreted. So on a personal level I really don't care (what people say it does or doesn't 'say').

Last edited: