• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't think we should hide the woman.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some citations about when, where, by whom,
& with what frequency would be useful.

Would it make any difference? You have already ignored a wiki on the subject

You didn't excerpt anything to make part of your argument.
Merely expecting me to read your link, & arrive at the same
conclusion doesn't work.

Fair enough

A very few men wrote the religion.

And your point is?

Islam
is very often the regime that imposes such restrictive dress.

True.

Shadow11

Evidently some men here don't know western women good luck with your dress code it will die as quickly as its brought up.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Women had to cover long time before Islam was even a twinkle in Mohameds eye.

And i see you never bothered with the wiki, fair enough.

Men wrote the religions, for the most part men have controlled the religions. This is not one you can blame on whatever god you favour[/QUOTE
Laws are meant to aid and facilitate well being for society. You do tell women what to wear, you just don't believe Islamic code to be enforced. You don't allow women to walk naked in school and public for example.

So you rather judge by ignorance what women should wear and go by popular conjecture then insights from God which are not arbitrary and can be proven for the well being for society whether Islam is true or not.
In the West it is not so much the practice of wearing of the Burka that is the problem. It is the reported punishment to those women who do not conform to that practice that is the problem.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would it make any difference? You have already ignored a wiki on the subject
That's rather lazy...provide only a link as though
that alone makes your argument that oppressive
dress requirements are independent of religion.

To want more from you is somehow proof that I'd
ignore a concise cogent argument with evidence?
Try making it first.
And your point is?
The men who invented the religion are long dead.
To blame modern men for the religion adopted by
both men and women is to ignore the religion itself.
Theocratic Islam is the problem. It has men & women
imposing such dress codes upon women.

ChristineM

Premium Member
In the West it is not so much the practice of wearing of the Burka that is the problem. It is the reported punishment to those women who do not conform to that practice that is the problem.

I agree.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Laws are meant to aid and facilitate well being for society. You do tell women what to wear, you just don't believe Islamic code to be enforced. You don't allow women to walk naked in school and public for example.

So you rather judge by ignorance what women should wear and go by popular conjecture then insights from God which are not arbitrary and can be proven for the well being for society whether Islam is true or not.
Strange, because I honestly do not tell a woman what to wear.
If a woman walk naked in the street, it is her problem, not mine. And police would stop her.
Not all female are Muslim you know.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Try making it first.

My job isn't to read for you.

After all, I'm not accusing you of ignoring my claims
about theocratic Islam due to blind apologetics &
anti-male prejudice.

Because i am not ignoring your claims, i agree with them, the problem does however go deeper than islam.

The men who invented the religion are long dead.

And men still adhere to their "teaching"

Theocratic Islam is the problem. It has men & women
imposing such dress codes upon women.

Mostly men and certainly men higher up in the hierarchy who make the rules based on whst those long dead men write

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Strange, because I honestly do not tell a woman what to wear.
If a woman walk naked in the street, it is her problem, not mine. And police would stop her.
Not all female are Muslim you know.

Then you don't believe the concept of commanding good and forbidding evil in Islam. So it's not that you don't think it's wrong to walk naked in the street, it's you don't believe in the principle of forbidding evil in Islam.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My job isn't to read for you.
This is true.
But if all you can muster is to essentially say....
"I'm right. You're wrong. Here's a link."
.....then I detect no effort.
What you infer from your link won't be the same for others.
Wanna convince anyone....then make your case.
Because i am not ignoring your claims, i agree with them, the problem does however go deeper than islam.
OK.
And men still adhere to their "teaching"
As do women.
Mostly men and certainly men higher up in the hierarchy who make the rules based on whst those long dead men write
But outside of Islamic theocracies, we see men
being much more permissive regarding dress.

Back to real life, I notice that the most critical
people of how women dress are other women.
Rawwrrrr! And who carps the most about how
men dress....women.
We' menfolk would all be wearing velour sweatshirts
& sweatpants if it weren't for the wimin carping about
what's appropriate or not for weddings, restaurants,
funerals, etc.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then you don't believe the concept of commanding good and forbidding evil in Islam.
I do my best to fix my own problems and struggle befor i tell others what is right to do. Most Muslims know the rules, and it is their choice to follow or not, I am not their boss.
Telling non Muslims to follow a rule they dont believe or follow them self is not right either

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do my best to fix my own problems and struggle befor i tell others what is right to do. Most Muslims know the rules, and it is their choice to follow or not, I am not their boss.
Telling non Muslims to follow a rule they dont believe or follow them self is not right either

As I said you don't believe in the concept of forbidding evil. Imam Ali (a) says no nation was cursed and destroyed but that not only evil people did evil deeds, but it was the case the good people stopped forbidding evil and so they got counted among the evil people.

Believers are guardians of one another, and forbid evil and command good to one another as Quran shows.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As I said you don't believe in the concept of forbidding evil. Imam Ali (a) says no nation was cursed and destroyed but that not only evil people did evil deeds, but it was the case the good people stopped forbidding evil and so they got counted among the evil people.

Believers are guardians of one another, and forbid evil and command good to one another as Quran shows.
You keep telling people what they believe or don't believe.
Not everybody are the same as you. People do think and pondering for them self.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Honestly if men tries to hide a woman in a burka or in some other ways, then it is not the woman that is the problem. It is the men. If a man can not control his lust without hiding away the females. The veil isn't in the clothes it is in the mind.

Oh boy am I gonna be put in place for saying this :)
I agree, it's mens lust that is the problem. And yes you will get some stick for saying it, i know i seem to have half of Islam giving me pain if i mention it
As I gay man, I attest that I can control my lust completely when I see an unveiled handsome guy. I expect straight men to do the same.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As I gay man, I attest that I can control my lust completely when I see an unveiled handsome guy. I expect straight men to do the same.
Yes, men should be, no matter who they "want" controlling our urges is even a part of the practice :)
And just because a woman chose her own clothes does not mean she should be treated badly. :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
then make your case.

I did, you demand more. Not going to happen...

As do women.

Some, yes but by far the male is the majority

But outside of Islamic theocracies, we see men
being much more permissive regarding dress.

As a woman try getting into the Vatican (or many churches) without being modestly dresses. Arms and head covered, no knees showing. I am surprised that ankles no longer cause swoons.

Right back at ya