• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't support feminist movements

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've decided I don't really support the feminist movement to the extent of being a strong advocate of it. They've done some good things. But things like the #MeToo movement which is often promoted by the feminists I've seen, have done an equal amount of destruction and good, and a lot of feminists are TERFs which can be harmful to me as a transgender person. I'm not completely against women speaking out in #MeToo, I just want there to be proof before destroying another person's reputation. And remember, #MeToo supporters can have allegations against them too, as well as feminists.

I've decided I don't really support the feminist movement to the extent of being a strong advocate of it. They've done some good things. But things like the #MeToo movement which is often promoted by the feminists I've seen, have done an equal amount of destruction and good, and a lot of feminists are TERFs which can be harmful to me as a transgender person. I'm not completely against women speaking out in #MeToo, I just want there to be proof before destroying another person's reputation. And remember, #MeToo supporters can have allegations against them too, as well as feminists.

You need proof to convict someone of a crime, but a person doesn't need to prove anything to use their right to freedom of speech.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Metoo has accomplished nothing wrong.
It's important that people feel comfortable to share their stories. How the public responds to it is a social process that will take time.
To argue against it is to argue that survivors must keep their mouths shut if they don't have evidence that can convince a court, which itself is dangerous and will lead to more assaults.

Meh.

If it can't convince a lower court judge, why should it convince the whole public?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sigh.
People who've been assaulted should be allowed to share their stories without shame. That's what MeToo is about.
There is a harsh backlash against many women and men when they come forward with their experiences, and preventing that backlash is what MeToo is about.

The null default should not be assuming that a survivor is making something up if they come forward.
This does not logically contradict the notion that one should not be legally charged if a crime cannot be proven.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member

you want to be a woman but you don't support women's rights, that seems a bit odd!!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My mother was a rather vocal feminist back in the 60s and 70s, and it was a significant topic when I was growing up - although it was in a far less "politically correct" atmosphere than what would later come to pass. But during that period, Women's Lib (the more popular term at the time), the Civil Rights movement, and the Anti-War movement were all, more or less, on the same side, ideologically and politically. It wasn't until later that they all started splintering and breaking up into sub-groups and factions.

In my mom's time (a period I would later find out was called "second wave feminism"), the goals of feminism seemed more basic, logical, and fair. It was also simpler to deal with. "Equal pay for equal work" seemed clear enough, and it was fair. It seemed reasonable that women should be able to become doctors, lawyers, or other previously male-dominated professions. The idea was that they didn't do it out of selfishness or ego, but out of a social consciousness and a sincere desire to enhance and improve society. The women just wanted to help out and make society a better place - or at least that's how it was often presented.

But that was during the 70s, back when people were actually sincere about having a social consciousness. By the 80s, the scent of greed, capitalism, consumerism, etc. started to pervade all of the social justice movements, which later become compromised and tainted as a result. They joined the rat race, and now they're wondering why things are going sour.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My mother was a rather vocal feminist back in the 60s and 70s, and it was a significant topic when I was growing up - although it was in a far less "politically correct" atmosphere than what would later come to pass. But during that period, Women's Lib (the more popular term at the time), the Civil Rights movement, and the Anti-War movement were all, more or less, on the same side, ideologically and politically. It wasn't until later that they all started splintering and breaking up into sub-groups and factions.

In my mom's time (a period I would later find out was called "second wave feminism"), the goals of feminism seemed more basic, logical, and fair. It was also simpler to deal with. "Equal pay for equal work" seemed clear enough, and it was fair. It seemed reasonable that women should be able to become doctors, lawyers, or other previously male-dominated professions. The idea was that they didn't do it out of selfishness or ego, but out of a social consciousness and a sincere desire to enhance and improve society. The women just wanted to help out and make society a better place - or at least that's how it was often presented.

But that was during the 70s, back when people were actually sincere about having a social consciousness. By the 80s, the scent of greed, capitalism, consumerism, etc. started to pervade all of the social justice movements, which later become compromised and tainted as a result. They joined the rat race, and now they're wondering why things are going sour.

I agree.