• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know what I'm doing!

cocolia42

Just curious...
Does anyone else here have a job doing something they have no idea how to do?
I fell *** backwards into this job. In January I will have been at my job for 4 years and I still have no clue what I'm doing. I'm amazed I'm able to get anything to work!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just curious...
I fell *** backwards into this job. In January I will have been at my job for 4 years and I still have no clue what I'm doing. I'm amazed I'm able to get anything to work!

You still getting paid?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ask them if they want an office to be opened in India. India is a fast developing economy. We are experts at doing what we do not know (for example, making fighter airplanes, the project has been going on for decades). We have been doing similar things for Centuries.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Ask them if they want an office to be opened in India. India is a fast developing economy. We are experts at doing what we do not know (for example, making fighter airplanes, the project has been going on for decades). We have been doing similar things for Centuries.
Ahhhh, so that's why you're basically the world's tech support. Merely continuing an ages-old tradition.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Just curious...
all of my bosses current and past, are people that don't know......
and yet they pretend to understand my job as toolmaker.

what a farce!

Draka

Wonder Woman
I often times felt as though I was winging it, that I didn't know as much as my male co-workers while I was an AT in the Navy. Probably just due to their attitude towards me and always treating me and talking to me as if I didn't have a clue. It wasn't until I realized a couple things that that changed. When aircraft came in with avionics issues that needed to be fixed immediately on the flightline so they could get right back out...I was the tech requested by the aircrew and pilots. And when I took my rating exam I found out I outscored all my male co-workers. Chances are you know more than you think you do. It's probably an esteem issue that really has nothing to with what you know, just what you've let yourself think.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Listen, if anyone knows anything about database/software development and wants to teach me...

I used to know some SQL which is like where you write queries to extract stuff from several databases at the same time, but I can't remember it now....Sleezy Squid Language?
But if you've still got the job you must be something right! You might not feel like you know much but you obviously know more than anyone else which makes you an "expert".... ;)

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Just curious...
do anything , i suggest to help the others if they need help , until you had a something to do in your position .

for paiment : if the company knows that and agree with , that's ok
I suggest to stay (DONT QUITE) until you find better job , the company which suppose give you duty (something to do) it's not your duty to seek for something to do .

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to know some SQL which is like where you write queries to extract stuff from several databases at the same time, but I can't remember it now....Sleezy Squid Language?
But if you've still got the job you must be something right! You might not feel like you know much but you obviously know more than anyone else which makes you an "expert".... ;)

I spend too much time writing sql (structured query language, which I'm gonna assume you actually knew). A colleague who thought it all looked Greek always referred to is as Secret Sq(uirre)l.

Anyways, software development from a tech point of view isn't really my thing, nor is db design. But I worked as a solution architect for a couple of big ERP companies, so working with the software, designing mods, interfacing between business and tech...that's kinda how I pay the bills, so PM me if you actually need a hand.

cocolia42

I'm building software in FileMaker Pro. Originally I was hired to do some customer service, some networking and minor changes to their existing FileMaker database (like adding fields to a layout).
Over the 2 years, I've done a complete redesign of their original database, built their mobile technology using a plug-in to sync with their hosted database, and am currently building an inventory database from the ground up to integrate with their scheduling database, sync with the mobile database, syn with their website, and push data to their accounting software.
I have absolutely no training at all!
I feel like I spend way too much time googling how to do things.
I work from home, over 600 miles away from the office, so nobody sees what I'm doing. I do my googling on my own time.

I've gotten this far. I guess I'm figuring it out :shrug: