• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Sounds like a silly statement, doesn't it?

So why do we buy into gravity? Is it because we buy into Newton's mathematical equation? Is it because of evidence presented through scientific method? Or is it because we know the earth spins at 1000 miles per hour (at the equator) and we have an understanding that without it, we would be flung into space like fleas being shaken off of a dog (until they hit the ground because of gravity)?

So is it fair to say that we buy into this scientific theory because we have subjective experience, and not because of evidence presented through scientific method?

Another scientific theory is Darwin's theory of evolution through natural selection. Like gravity, it is a scientific theory arrived at through use of the scientific method. Yet 42% of the population (according to a poll I made up for this thread) does not buy into evolution or natural selection even though it uses the same scientific method used to arrive at the theory of gravity (systematic observation, measurement, experimentation, formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses). One can hypothesize (as I do) that the only reason that one would not believe in evolution is because s/he lacks subjective experience.

So In this thread, I would like to hear from those that believe in gravity and do not believe in evolution through natural selection. Why is gravity more valid to you than evolution?

Edited for typos

1. We can do a controlled experiment (rocket in space launches an item versus a rocket launch from the ground) and observe gravity.

2. We cannot recreate mechanistic evolution.

3. We are believing nonsense when we claim to see substantive change and missing links in the fossil record.

4. Etc.

A Vestigial Mote

I believe if I go down the road taking a right and then go 1 mile McDonald's will be on the left. But as soon as someone pulsl out the tired old broken nonsense "everyone" I just sing the old REM lyric ,, "life is, bigger than you and you are not me". Only the self deluded in harmony, with the self deluded delusionally believe everyone is like them!!! Like some mad chorus of kazoo players out of tune all playing different tunes pretending it's music. It's not, all it is, is just random squeaking geese noise pretending.
Was the intent that this passage of yours be coherent? If so ,then I suggest you try again. If not, then kudos... you did a bang-up job.

A Vestigial Mote

you are clear headed. Jesus's rose from the dead literally Pandora is a real planet and middle Earth is located in the same galaxy as star wars. What was I thinking. "
Yes, I consider myself clear-headed, at least most of the time. Does this pose a problem for you?

I'm going to fix your reply just a bit, with the hopes of helping you potentially avoid the introduction of unnecessary confusion (and downright poor writing skill) to your posts - all fixes bolded, underlined and in red:

You are clear headed. Jesus rose from the dead literally, Pandora is a real planet and Middle-earth is located in the same galaxy as Star Wars. What was I thinking?

And now I am going to edit that same reply for coherence, specifically:

What was I thinking?

Vee

Premium Member
So In this thread, I would like to hear from those that believe in gravity and do not believe in evolution through natural selection. Why is gravity more valid to you than evolution?

Edited for typos

I wouldn't choose to compare two things that are so different in complexity and nature.
The reason I was never able to believe in the evolution theory is the incredible amount of coincidences that would have had to take place in order to make it plausible. In theory it might make sense but once you look into the details you start seeing the holes. Personally when I see many coincidences I start looking for what's behind them.
The universe is full of connections.
Unfortunately everything I studied about evolution left me with more questions than answers.
I have to say though that evolutionists have been excellent in their marketing strategy. They present evolution as a fact and at the same time insult the intelligence of anyone who dares to question it. Others are afraid of being ridiculed so they stop ask questions and little by little the number of believers in their theory grows without people ever looking into all the important details and asking the important questions. Very good strategy indeed.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Magnetism and electricity have nothing to do with it??? I'd ask the same regarding you but I'm not that dense of judgement.

Show me where electromagnetism has nothing to do with it. Good luck.
Yeah! and show us where fruit flies and the density of pure water at 1 atm pressure and a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius have nothing to do with it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I wouldn't choose to compare two things that are so different in complexity and nature.
The reason I was never able to believe in the evolution theory is the incredible amount of coincidences that would have had to take place in order to make it plausible. In theory it might make sense but once you look into the details you start seeing the holes. Personally when I see many coincidences I start looking for what's behind them.
Curious, just what are some of these "holes" you see in the theories explaining how evolution works?

Ponder This

Unfortunately everything I studied about evolution left me with more questions than answers.
I have to say though that evolutionists have been excellent in their marketing strategy. They present evolution as a fact and at the same time insult the intelligence of anyone who dares to question it. Others are afraid of being ridiculed so they stop ask questions and little by little the number of believers in their theory grows without people ever looking into all the important details and asking the important questions. Very good strategy indeed.

I agree that evolutionists have a tough battle to fight. It isn't something people can directly observe. It's something that has to be explained. Posting pictures of giraffes is also somewhat unconvincing: "Look at the giraffe. Can you explain why the artery goes the long way around? No? You can't? Well there you have it. You can't explain why it does, therefore evolution." It's a weak argument to appeal to a person's inability to explain something as a reason to believe your particular theory. This is one obstacle evolutionists face.

But it's really much deeper than that. People don't have a problem accepting that the speed of light is a constant, but they do have a problem accepting evolution. This is in spite of the fact that no one can actually observe the speed of light directly. This means that the inability to accept evolution is not merely because people don't directly observe it. It's because people have trouble accepting the explanation that evolution offers.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I agree that evolutionists have a tough battle to fight. It isn't something people can directly observe. It's something that has to be explained. Posting pictures of giraffes is also somewhat unconvincing: "Look at the giraffe. Can you explain why the artery goes the long way around? No? You can't? Well there you have it. You can't explain why it does, therefore evolution." It's a weak argument to appeal to a person's inability to explain something as a reason to believe your particular theory. This is one obstacle evolutionists face.

But it's really much deeper than that. People don't have a problem accepting that the speed of light is a constant, but they do have a problem accepting evolution. This is in spite of the fact that no one can actually observe the speed of light directly. This means that the inability to accept evolution is not merely because people don't directly observe it. It's because people have trouble accepting the explanation that evolution offers.

There are many other evidences for evolution besides a giraffes neck, some can be observed in real time. The Langkawi bent-toed gecko comes to mind.

The speed of light is only constant in vacuum, it slows considerably travelling through different mediums. In cold liquid sodium for example it has been measured at 38 miles per hour and i believe that recently it has been stopped completely inside a cryogenically cooled crystal of yttrium silicate.

Its also because many people imagine evolution makes a mockery of the Bible

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Please identify some of these holes.

Profound Realization

Yeah! and show us where fruit flies and the density of pure water at 1 atm pressure and a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius have nothing to do with it.

Can you elaborate further on the parallel that this has to do with what said? If a different subject, please elaborate further on what you're stating. I don't want to guess as to what I'd be responding to. Thanks.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The reason I was never able to believe in the evolution theory is the incredible amount of coincidences that would have had to take place in order to make it plausible. In theory it might make sense but once you look into the details you start seeing the holes.

So these so-called "coincidences" put holes in evolutionary theory make it difficult for you to believe. But an invisible man in the sky who fathers a son on earth who is the savior of mankind, who is now in the heaven with Jehovah, and reigns in the Kingdom of God, and that 144,000 chosen individuals will be resurrected to live with him and Jehovah gives you no pause whatsoever?

As it should. Not everything about evolution has been answered. But new discoveries are made constantly.

I have to say though that evolutionists have been excellent in their marketing strategy.
They present evolution as a fact and at the same time insult the intelligence of anyone who dares to question it. Others are afraid of being ridiculed so they stop ask questions and little by little the number of believers in their theory grows without people ever looking into all the important details and asking the important questions. Very good strategy indeed.

Oh snap. The evolutionists' marketing team has been exposed!

But I disagree. They lag far behind the gravitationists' marketing team. Otherwise the amount of evolutionists would be closer to the amount of gravitationists in the world.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if you toss evolution aside.....you're stuck with creation
as in .....make a clay model and give it resuscitation.

I believe....evolution is how God made Man
Chapter Two is a story of a reboot
to change the direction and progress of the species

Thief

Rogue Theologian
as for gravity....quick!....someone run outside and launch a rock into space

use your arm

report back how it went

"I threw a rock into the sky
it did not return
I do not lie!"

Skwim

Veteran Member
Can you elaborate further on the parallel that this has to do with what said? If a different subject, please elaborate further on what you're stating. I don't want to guess as to what I'd be responding to. Thanks.
Certainly. No more than a swinging pendulum proves that fruit flies and the density of pure water cause motion, neither does a swinging pendulum prove the Earth has magnetism and electricity that causes motion.

siti

I believe in gravity because I once fell off a ladder and it really, really hurt.

I don't believe in evolution because I have three kids and they are all exact replicas of their parents and there is no way any significant genetic change could have happened by chance in 6000 years which is the clearly established age of the universe because it says so in a book I once read.

So I don't really agree with the OP's hypothesis - I don't think it is enough simply to lack subjective experience of evolution, I think you have to be utterly determined to reject it as evidence even when you do!

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The reason I was never able to believe in the evolution theory is the incredible amount of coincidences that would have had to take place in order to make it plausible.
That would only make sense if you think of evolution as being required in some way to produce H sap sap, no?

But that's not the case. There was no necessity for evolution to produce humans. Evolution has no purpose of its own, no goal to achieve, simply it describes the process of natural selection and the various ways gene variation can occur.

As Steven Jay Gould argued in Wonderful Life, if you ran the tape of history again, it's very unlikely you'd get humans again.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If you have questions or doubts about any aspect of evolution, please ask. I am more than happy to clarify them as best as I can. What I am afraid of though is that your current church affiliation basically forces you to reject it apriori , since you value your church affiliation and rejecting evolution is a must for the church. If this is not the case, then I am happy to have an open ended discussion with you on evolution. Ask away. :)

siti

They present evolution as a fact and at the same time insult the intelligence of anyone who dares to question it.
I know - its the same strategy they used to "prove" that the earth is not flat, that the sun is at the center of the solar system and that planets orbit the sun in (relatively) stable orbits due to gravity, that germs cause disease and that matter is composed of tiny particles called atoms that are so incredibly small nobody has ever seen one - all extremely unlikely scenarios that depend on enormous coincidences for which the probability is miniscule - I refuse to believe any of it. "And yet" said Gallileo "it moves" (actually that bit - that Gallileo said it - is probably not true - but you get the point).