• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't believe in atheism...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Tangent, but have you read much on the Contraries of Native American tradition, and what their role in society was?
No, sir, never heard of them. By description they remind me of some of our counterculture groups such as goths or satanists, always going against the norm. I'm not speaking about religious satanists who I consider a different group from the counter culture satanists. The wickipedia compares them to the clowns of the Lakota (though I've no idea what a Lakota clown would be), but they sound more counterculture than humorous. I suspect they are stylish groups, perhaps like our beatniks or freaks or ravers or heavy metal fans etc.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I find it HIGHLY improbable that He fits any of the dogmatic versions some on Earth believe in.

As do I. Humanity is very slowly outgrowing the image of God as a 'sky daddy' ever ready to spank (smite) those who don't do what they're told.

I've been told plenty of times that I secretly know God exists

The believer joke: Do you believe you exist? If so, then God exists because all including you are God (but don't know it). Theology is a lot of fun, isn't it? ;):D:p

Yazata

...so does that make me an a-atheist, or a theist?

From the point of view of classical formal logic, being a-atheist would seem to be the same thing as being theist.

If we interpret the 'a-' in 'atheist' to mean 'not', then logically an atheist would be ~theist

You seem to be saying that you are not an atheist, which would seem to translate to ~(~theist) in formal logic symbolism.

By double-negation elimination (one of the classical rules of inference):

If ~(~P) then P

So if ~(~theist) then theist

I don't think that in real life what you said necessarily implies that. It could be an interesting philosophical question why it might not, what it might suggest about the meaning of 'atheist' and even what that might start to tell us about the applicability of formal logic to real life (law of the excluded middle, linguistic ambiguity, multiple possibilities etc.).

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From the point of view of classical formal logic, being a-atheist would seem to be the same thing as being theist.

If we interpret the 'a-' in 'atheist' to mean 'not', then logically an atheist would be ~theist

You seem to be saying that you are not an atheist, which would seem to translate to ~(~theist) in formal logic symbolism.

By double-negation elimination (one of the classical rules of inference):

If ~(~P) then P

So if ~(~theist) then theist

I don't think that in real life what you said necessarily implies that. It could be an interesting philosophical question why it might not, what it might suggest about the meaning of 'atheist' and even what that might start to tell us about the applicability of formal logic to real life (law of the excluded middle, liguistic ambiguity, multiple possibilities etc.).

Another analogy might to say that, if theism is a missile, then atheism might be the anti-missile missile. It wouldn't exist if the first missile never existed. An a-atheist might be comparable to an anti-anti-missile missile missile (which I've heard is a thing).

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Plato

And all minds melt away, like strawberry ice cream in early July.
Oh grief, I hate to see strawberry ice cream melting!
It’s gotta be eaten!

Yor from Can-tucky, huh? Shucks, my origin’s from right across the River, in Ohio.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Yes it is.

Whenever someone says (about anything), “I don’t believe it”, that in itself is a belief statement.

Nope. That's a disbelief statement.

Suitable definitions
Belief : trust, faith, or confidence in (someone or something).

Disbelief : lack of faith.

How is lack of faith to become faith?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well, atheists demonstrably exist. It's just atheism I've been unable to find.
I know what it is with you!
You just don't like the muck they serve out in atheist club bars!

I would try their flat mild but they don't let Deists in... you ever tustled with an atheist bouncer? That's a doorman, LnM, not a big lady.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I know what it is with you!
You just don't like the muck they serve out in atheist club bars!

I would try their flat mild but they don't let Deists in... you ever tustled with an atheist bouncer? That's a doorman, LnM, not a big lady.

You know if you get me started on beer I'm going to head off on a tangent, right? A tasty, tasty tangent...

I had a nice sour tonite actually...mango coconut cinnamon and both brown and milk sugar. Nice share can.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You know if you get me started on beer I'm going to head off on a tangent, right? A tasty, tasty tangent...

I had a nice sour tonite actually...mango coconut cinnamon and both brown and milk sugar. Nice share can.
You see?
Could you have got that in an atheist club bar? Never! Dreadful places.
It's enough to convert a bloke to the Rose 'n' Crown.