• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't believe in atheism...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
...so does that make me an a-atheist, or a theist?
It makes you someone who should replace 'atheism' in your religious designation with something else.

You could call yourself agnostic: the "I don't know" stance. Or if you are fanatical about it, "I don't know and neither do you" (as the saying goes). Or "I don't know and I don't care" perhaps.

Or since this is a joke thread, just have a good laugh.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
...so does that make me an a-atheist, or a theist?

You know, there were a few churches I went to where they taught that atheists were really just people who were in "rebellion" against god, or were outright lying that they didn't believe in him and we're trying to actively stumble people away from god.

As for the official title? I like ay ay theists; reminds me of a certain episode of Key and Peele. :D

RestlessSoul

An old English teacher Lit. teacher told me decades ago, to avoid using ism or ist as labels. He was anything but my favourite teacher, but he had a point.

If you reject easy labels, you're forced to think a bit deeper about what they may mean, to yourself and others.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
“What’s to believe?”?

To believe that no God exists.

Oh, I certainly don't believe in a literal God. I have no issue with those that do, but my brain rebels at the concept.
I was just playing around with the concept of implicit atheism, really. I've seen arguments...in some cases by atheists...that rocks (for example) are atheistic, since they have no theistic tendencies. At least, we've never managed to catch them praying.

Never really got that argument, either. But ultimately, if I'm to view atheism as a lack of theism, then it's just that. There's nothing to believe IN.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
An old English teacher Lit. teacher told me decades ago, to avoid using ism or ist as labels. He was anything but my favourite teacher, but he had a point.

If you reject easy labels, you're forced to think a bit deeper about what they may mean, to yourself and others.

I think that's largely correct, and mostly fair.
I would say that in a world where complex political platforms are distilled down into 3 word slogans for bumper stickers, it might be more practical to say 'I'm an atheist' rather than launch into a nuanced discussion about what I actually am (since atheism at best speaks to some of what I'm not).

But hey, you ever want to sit on a bar stool, have a couple of quiet ales, and shoot the breeze on world views, I'm your man.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It makes you someone who should replace 'atheism' in your religious designation with something else.

Your last sentence (that this is a joke thread) is the important one. I'm not completely taking the ****, but at the same time, I'm not completely serious. However, at the risk of putting on my serious shoes for a moment...
The religious designation is a great little example. The census we fill in here periodically is another. The correct answer to my religious designation is 'None'. Not 'atheism'. Atheism isn't a religion, and it's entirely possible to be a non-religious theist, or a religious atheist.
However, in terms of pragmatism, putting 'atheist' might communicate a little more about me than putting 'none'. Then again, part of what it communicates is probably (for some people) mistaken assumptions about what I am, and what I believe. It's a mixed bag, really.

You could call yourself agnostic: the "I don't know" stance. Or if you are fanatical about it, "I don't know and neither do you" (as the saying goes). Or "I don't know and I don't care" perhaps.

I don't know. I'll readily admit that, and for that reason, I would include some level of prevarication in my designation, whether that's 'agnostic', or 'weak'...but I'd still tie it to 'atheist', since I find God unlikely, and would go further by saying if there is a God, I find it HIGHLY improbable that He fits any of the dogmatic versions some on Earth believe in.

Or since this is a joke thread, just have a good laugh.

Never a wrong answer, and more important than many realise!!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You know, there were a few churches I went to where they taught that atheists were really just people who were in "rebellion" against god, or were outright lying that they didn't believe in him and we're trying to actively stumble people away from god.

I've been told plenty of times that I secretly know God exists, or I only don't know God exists because I'm not listening, or that atheists aren't real.
To the point where I get slightly twitchy about it now, which is kinda funny. Ultimately, I don't care about those opinions, but they're so frustratingly wrong...at least as they relate to me...that they might as well stand there and say 'Liar, liar pants on fire' over and over again. It's not harmful, but man, it's annoying.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
When a human says to another human I will pretend and draw a circle around my image. Human. Claiming you are now measured by the circle.

Yet the circle as a circles measure the circle only said it all about the human thinker theorising.

Who inferred it.

No body but my brother said I was measured.

Said it all to my life human as an egotist.