• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't believe human babies should be manufactured!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Adopting infants should not be expensive at all. There is no-prenatal care costs for the family adopting, of course. The baby is already born. One can also adopt an older walking child if they are not too selfish or impatient. Adopt even a child that is already past the nastiness of diaper changing and toilet training. Does one need an infant just to be able to take cute baby pictures? If you are really Christian, adopt a handicapped child. Of course, being of good financial means should be one of the requirements of adoption. Slum homes are no places for children.
Neverminding that direct adoption often does have the adopting parents cover prenatal costs, regardless of how it 'should' be the fact is adopting is very expensive. For good reason childcare is expensive especially at the infant stage, and bio moms looking for aid often do get medical expenses partially covered by the adoption agency or state. And your uncharitable opinion on why people adopt infants notwithstanding (many older kids in the foster care system need special physical or emotional care that not every couple is capable of dealing with, and they shouldn't pretend to just because it's the ideal altruistic position. That's how kids end up back in foster care.)

And we aren't talking about people in poverty. By the time fees and visits and after care is done, adopting can cost more than $40,000 out of pocket. And that's before regular childcare expenses.

And anyway why are we telling disabled (infertile) and LGBT that it falls to them to be the adopters and fosters when they're not the ones causing the problem in the first place? Why not instead of punishing them we actively make it easier for those who want to adopt?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Neverminding that direct adoption often does have the adopting parents cover prenatal costs, regardless of how it 'should' be the fact is adopting is very expensive. For good reason childcare is expensive especially at the infant stage, and bio moms looking for aid often do get medical expenses partially covered by the adoption agency or state. And your uncharitable opinion on why people adopt infants notwithstanding (many older kids in the foster care system need special physical or emotional care that not every couple is capable of dealing with, and they shouldn't pretend to just because it's the ideal altruistic position. That's how kids end up back in foster care.)

And we aren't talking about people in poverty. By the time fees and visits and after care is done, adopting can cost more than $40,000 out of pocket. And that's before regular childcare expenses.

And anyway why are we telling disabled (infertile) and LGBT that it falls to them to be the adopters and fosters when they're not the ones causing the problem in the first place? Why not instead of punishing them we actively make it easier for those who want to adopt?
His position is very black and white and assumes a lot of generalization about people.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
maxresdefault (1).jpg

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
People should learn to put aside their gender-based emotions and become rational sensible human beings whether male or female. I'm a man with a deep voice and all my man parts. That I've never made a baby and never will makes me feel no less like a man. If you want to be a real woman, adopt a child and cook, clean for him/her. Comb their hair. Teach them to count and say their ABCs. Keep their jacket on so they don't catch pneumonia outside in the snow. If you want to be a real man, adopt a child; get off your behind and go to work to provide for that child. Discipline that child. Spank and scold as needed. Raising your adopted children good and proper will make you feel proud as parents: the pride doesn't come from merely implanting your own genes in the child. Any bonehead moron can reproduce. Push your children, even adopted ones, to succeed. Motivate them toward academic achievement. Home environment more than DNA composition is often what makes or breaks children.
Let me try it this way.
I was hinting that by creating an environment where making “natural babies” is exalted, you create conditions in which women and men are pressured to find their worth in such a prospect. We are social creatures after all, not many are aloof enough to ignore societal pressures.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That's the thing about mutations. They can crop up in the best of families.

I guess that or get them sterilized, because artificial insemination is unnatural, but sterilization is OK?
not leaning to man made control

but informed choices could help

a dna screen for the parents
let them decide what they can or cannot handle

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
not leaning to man made control

but informed choices could help

a dna screen for the parents
let them decide what they can or cannot handle
I think that is the only ethical situation, but DNA screening will only reveal alleles already present in the genomes of the parents and does not predict novel mutations that can occur in any potential offspring.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think that is the only ethical situation, but DNA screening will only reveal alleles already present in the genomes of the parents and does not predict novel mutations that can occur in any potential offspring.
yeah.....evolution was in part.....random

if the mutant survives
if it reproduces
Man is off in a new direction

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
yeah.....evolution was in part.....random

if the mutant survives
if it reproduces
Man is off in a new direction
It could be. It would depend if that mutation is conserved by selection. Being able to survive to reproduction does not fully imply that a mutation is beneficial. It could be that an individual with a deleterious mutation can reproduce, just not as successfully as those without the mutation. Over a few generations such a deleterious mutation would be weeded out naturally even where reproduction was sometimes successful. Just as long as it was not too successful. In the case of eugenics, selection would be man made and dependent on whatever standard of selection was being followed.

Given a mutation rate of 100 mutations per person, the current population has a combined estimated total of 700 billion mutations. Since the genome is only 3.3 billion base pairs, some of these will be the same mutation, most will be neutral and do nothing. Some will be deleterious. While the very small remainder may be the launching point for a new direction.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
as we discuss who should reproduce
for quality of life

there does seem an argument otherwise
Because it violates human rights, I am opposed to mandated selection of people, but we have circumvented natural selection through medical, technological and hygienic means. Preserving all of us that would have been negatively impacted by impaired vision has kept deleterious genes for vision in the overall population, for instance. We could be inadvertently breeding for humans with bad eyesight.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
did you read the article I linked?

all about someone having a child....doomed to be a burden
likely to die too soon

the parents did learn to cope

and to love

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That has been a theory for a long time in particilular groups whom have power and want to keep it all in the family..
Wealthy people do it all the time. They're very selective and look for particular traits.