• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don`t understand flat earth theory.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If the earth is flat, and the universe is flat, it would mean we should live in a 2D world, right? and it would not be anything above us to see? How the heck can it be stars and planets all around us if we live in 2D world?

:confused: Wut is happening :eek:

We send an :airplane: in one direction (Around the world) and it comes back from the other side :eek: If the earth is flat that airplane is doing magic if it can fly one direction in a 2D world, and then suddenly appear from the opposite direction :oops:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
If the earth is flat, and the universe is flat, it would mean we should live in a 2D world, right? and it would not be anything above us to see? How the heck can it be stars and planets all around us if we live in 2D world?

We send an :airplane: in one direction (Around the world) and it comes back from the other side :eek: If the earth is flat that airplane is doing magic if it can fly one direction in a 2D world, and then suddenly appear from the opposite direction :oops:
That seems a test a team could do. Verify the generally East-West directional travel without curving. Or even simpler, travel to the South Pole and find out it's not an edge or wall, but just a location where straight overhead the stars slowly rotate around the celestial south pole in circles, as could be verified with time exposure cameras pointed upwards for 12 or 24 hours.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That seems a test a team could do. Verify the generally East-West directional travel without curving. Or even simpler, travel top the South Pole and find out it's not an edge or wall, but just a location where straight overhead the stars slowly rotate around the celestial south pole in circles, as could be verified with time exposure cameras pointed for 12 or 24'hours.
Yes, but how come some people, believe flat earth is a reality? I don't get it

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I met a priest who believed in flat; I showed him the formulas to prove, but no way, he was stuck in 2D. I gave up.

Probably when Jesus comes in on a cloud and takes him up, he will accept

Terry Sampson

it would mean we should live in a 2D world, right?
No.

Orlando Ferguson Flat Earth Map A.jpg

gleason's-flat-earth-map.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I initially thought of it as a contrarian position. Where on could enhance their sophist skills for giggles.

I guess some people do actually believe it though. Like the one guy who went so far as to build his own rocket and launch himself up into the sky so he could take a picture of a flat earth. Heard the landing didn't go so well.

The mind is funny really what we are capable of convincing ourselves to believe in. I suspect some folks get so good at suspending disbelief that they even forget they've suspended it. Become hyper skeptical of everything except what fits your model of reality.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
People believe in a lot of irrational things. It's part of the diverse beings on this planet. I have no problem with any belief, as long as it's not causing any harm to others. Do the flat-earthers have a militia?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Man launches himself in self-made rocket to prove flat Earth theory

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

As someone who used to believe in a round Earth having gone through the US education system (no, I did not grow up in a fundie compound), and then increasingly have doubts about what I was taught, I believe I can answer this.

To answer the main question, no, it does not mean everyone is 2D.

Also. To say the "Earth is flat" is probably an oversimplification.

So, we're going to use several objects to show you what I mean.

swzhdP1.png

So, let's start with the globe. It's a three dimensional object, but I have a problem with it. I've explained why, but for brevity, we're just gonna move on.

Next we have a 2-D circle, of the sort you will find in math diagrams. As you can see, nothing inside the circle can stand up. This is a flat object, but any object near or within it is also flat. Moving on.

Next we have a table. A table is flat on top, but also circular, but you can sit on top of it (if you're crass and rude), crawl under it, or sit near it. It is a flat-topped, disc-shaped three-dimension object that has a straight edge for the objects occupying it. That is, objects can fall off the edge.

Next we have an old vinyl record (we could use a CD or DVD, but this works better). The record is 3-D as with the table but significantly more flat. Inserted onto a record player, the pin used to scratch it stands upright, and rotates around the circle (remember this, it's important). The record, then, can be said to be a flat-topped, disc-shaped three-dimension object that has a curved edge for the objects occupying it. That is to say, the pin used to scratch the disc travels around the disc on its top (I think it's clockwise towards the center, but I haven't really watched it). As it heading toward the center, and keeps scratching, yes it could eventually fall off, but if this object were traveling on a perfect curve and not essentially a spiral, it would just keep going in a straight line east (clockwise), never falling off or getting closer to the center.

Now, when we say "flat" we (probably) mean the model I drew above. This model of Earth has a domed atmosphere, and a dome which contains the rock, water, ice, and lava that would be beneath Earth's crust. This stuff under the crust also forms a dome, yet the crust itself is (relatively) flat. This means that like the pin on the record player, animals, plants, mountains, signposts, and rocket ships stand upright. This also means that like the record, all objects are moving around rather than directly through this crust. That is...
N = towards the center (until it reaches the center, then everywhere is south)
S = towards the edge (until it reaches the edge, then things get weird)
W = clockwise (sun rises in the east, and sets in the west)
E = counterclockwise
If you head east, you will not fall off the edge of the Earth. Same for west. If you start at the equator for instance, you will remain a 0 degrees N/S, never getting closer to the center nor to any edges.

The simplest way to visualize this is to view the globe from the top, which will almost get you Gleason's map. You can get from like LA to China by going north (how I actually did it on my trip to China) and from a top-down map, it is a straight line). Otherwise, you are going around the Earth to go west.

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Consciousness is about the Christ realization in Healer medical science, relating to science itself.

Modern science was not being practiced in ancient times, which a lot of humans seem to overlook.

Science knows that to rationalize a human choice, you have to include thinking about natural life and incorporate it within a scientific mentality, yet science does not include self....and if they did their concepts would change.

Science that is a proven destructive psyche, for it is always MASS and the presence MASS that they include in any machine theme to be incorporated in their human science manipulation and forced change...by that machine and its reaction.

By everything they claim that they can achieve...and yet have not achieved it...yet claim that they can. So when they achieve such as the nuclear power plant model, they self congratulate....yet it is still an act of destruction.

When a male is proven to support destruction as his creation will be the very moment that he will say all of his theories are only involved in the state destruction, and own that realization....as the flat plane theoriest…..brain/mind chemical and irradiation induced recorded feed back.

What vision discussion and hearing of recorded voice and the human mind/chemical state was discussed for relative to the human lying science Destroyer condition.....his psyche realizations.

When a human says I live consciously and I age, and as I age my whole life memory is recorded on a time line by feed back radio wave radiation communicators...then if science increases those communicators which remain within the gas mass...having burnt it.....then the communications of your natural life then being to expand and feed back to the brain changes on a time line theme.

What you live experience consciously is what we all first own naturally before you even to begin to think theories for science/machine destruction to natural mass and natural gas evolution, gain of that mass in cold living conditions.

Therefore science said that to think of science to own science O a circle and timed light, gas mass in that circle is proven by its natural status...and it never owned any argument. For O mass, the body of the stone was what science removed O mass by o a calculation destructive gain to resource energy.

And it always was.

When a human thinks, they own a conscious aging self time lined mind condition...as that human.

If a human thinks de materialization of a mass O, as they stand upon that O mass holding, to have that O mass removed, then self line time age the living experience is involved in looking back as a conscious theme.....back beyond self existence as the bio life living upon that Mass.

A very simple explanation to how a mind starts to be factually proven in natural life to be lying, what argument and why argument exists...for science was naturally based on natural information before it was practiced as a removal of energy.

Maybe, the removal of energy by such huge masses has made the male now believe that he created the energy that he removed...for he had to first in mind and rational theorising make life male mind records of thinking how to remove that natural energy mass first, by describing what he thought about presence of energy and how he thought energy first existed for him to remove it.

Only life lives on a time line of aging, natural MASS just exists fused.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As someone who used to believe in a round Earth having gone through the US education system (no, I did not grow up in a fundie compound), and then increasingly have doubts about what I was taught, I believe I can answer this.

swzhdP1.png

So, let's start with the globe. It's a three dimensional object, but I have a problem with it. I've explained why, but for brevity, we're just gonna move on.

Next we have a 2-D circle, of the sort you will find in math diagrams. As you can see, nothing inside the circle can stand up. This is a flat object, but any object near or within it is also flat. Moving on.

Next we have a table. A table is flat on top, but also circular, but you can sit on top of it (if you're crass and rude), crawl under it, or sit near it. It is a flat-topped, disc-shaped three-dimension object that has a straight edge for the objects occupying it. That is, objects can fall off the edge.

Next we have an old vinyl record (we could use a CD or DVD, but this works better). The record is 3-D as with the table but significantly more flat. Inserted onto a record player, the pin used to scratch it stands upright, and rotates around the circle (remember this, it's important). The record, then, can be said to be a flat-topped, disc-shaped three-dimension object that has a curved edge for the objects occupying it. That is to say, the pin used to scratch the disc travels around the disc on its top (I think it's clockwise towards the center, but I haven't really watched it). As it heading toward the center, and keeps scratching, yes it could eventually fall off, but if this object were traveling on a perfect curve and not essentially a spiral, it would just keep going in a straight line east (clockwise), never falling off or getting closer to the center.

Now, when we say "flat" we (probably) mean the model I drew above. This model of Earth has a domed atmosphere, and a dome which contains the rock, water, ice, and lava that would be beneath Earth's crust. This stuff under the crust also forms a dome, yet the crust itself is (relatively) flat. This means that like the pin on the record player, animals, plants, mountains, signposts, and rocket ships stand upright. This also means that like the record, all objects are moving around rather than directly through this crust. That is...
S = towards the edge (until it reaches the edge, then things get weird
E = counterclockwise
If you head east, you will not fall off the edge of the Earth. Same for west. If you start at the equator for instance, you will remain a 0 degrees N/S, never getting closer to the center nor to any edges.

The simplest way to visualize this is to view the globe from the top, which will almost get you Gleason's map. You can get from like LA to China by going north (how I actually did it on my trip to China) and from a top-down map, it is a straight line). Otherwise, you are going around the Earth to go west.

A male mind psyche would say, I am consciousness...I know that the beginnings of the Earth atmosphere began inside of Earth as lava, molten core equator theme. And released its hot dense gas mass...what I live within as an evolved body of cooled gases.

And if he begins to think flat plane or line...then as the atmospheric mass of gases burn, is being converted in the physical massed metallic radiation of the UFO interaction in science....knowing it is science caused already, then science would own its own science returned mind/vision thought realization, science itself. Where the atmospheric mass as gases/radiation history came from.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

if you can wrap your head around the idea of wrapping the south pole around the earth as a circumference

you got it

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

swzhdP1.png

E = counterclockwise

What does a camera see when it watches the sky from a Southern location like Auckland, New Zealand ?....

This:

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
People believe in a lot of irrational things. It's part of the diverse beings on this planet. I have no problem with any belief, as long as it's not causing any harm to others. Do the flat-earthers have a militia?
It was lost when it got too close to the edge.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Like some religions, intellectually lazy people will just arbitrarily believe anything somebody else tells them.

Remember Becky Fischer of Jesus camp infamy?

" The Bible says it. I believe it. That settles it".

Heyo

Veteran Member

swzhdP1.png

E = counterclockwise

You seem to me to be a rational person and susceptible to reason. I'd like to conduct an experiment in that I guide you to accept the globe earth as the better model than the flat earth and, on the way, answer Amanaki's question.
The question is whether you see your flat-eartherism as part of your belief system (in which case I'd rightly be accused of proselytizing) or if it is just a hypothesis we can rationally discuss. The other question is if you are willing to participate in the experiment as it will take some effort by both sides.
Are you up to a rational discussion?

Edit: I found your OP about proving earth to be a globe. See you there.

Last edited: