• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I dare you to ask lewisnotmiller something...

Cooky

Veteran Member
...even if it's just 'Why the hell do you refer to yourself in the third person when writing a thread title, you moron?'

Ask away. I'll be honest. Or funny. I struggle to be both at once.

What food are you looking forward to most this Thanksgiving? Thanks.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Paste or paper clips?

This would be one of those occasions where context is important. Sniffing paper clips is less impactful than sniffing paste, but paste is largely ineffective at picking door locks, in my experience.
Since I am assuming you mean to fasten paper to other paper, I'll go with butterfly clips.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What food are you looking forward to most this Thanksgiving? Thanks.

Hmmm...
I have no idea what I'll be eating on Thanksgiving. Not turkey though. On average I'd taste turkey once a year (Christmas maybe?). It's less common here than it appears to be in the US.

In case you're unaware, I'm Australian. You can tell by how good looking I am.

PureX

Veteran Member
Do Aussies eat emus? Do they taste like turkeys? How did a "Thanksgiving" holiday get translated into Australian? Here in the U.S., of course, we were thankful that the natives liked cheap beads more than they liked Manhattan, and that they didn't have firearms. So we chose to have dinner with them before we stole their land and murdered them. But you lot just stole their land and murdered them. You never made them dinner. So what's with the Aussies stealing our Thanksgiving holiday?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This would be one of those occasions where context is important. Sniffing paper clips is less impactful than sniffing paste, but paste is largely ineffective at picking door locks, in my experience.
Since I am assuming you mean to fasten paper to other paper, I'll go with butterfly clips.

Although these are very insightful answers, I was leaning toward a more cosmic, possibly a cataclysmic frame of reference.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Although these are very insightful answers, I was leaning toward a more cosmic, possibly a cataclysmic frame of reference.

Well, if you're asking how the stars stay in the sky, I'm thinking paste. I have considered both paper clips and staples as alternatives, but I think you'd see the sunlight glint off them.

Still, I've never quite figured out the rings of Saturn.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Well, if you're asking how the stars stay in the sky, I'm thinking paste. I have considered both paper clips and staples as alternatives, but I think you'd see the sunlight glint off them.

Still, I've never quite figured out the rings of Saturn.

I think Einstein said it best, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..." Oh, wait...that may have been some other German..

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Bahahaha.
If I had run a book on who would have come back with suggestions, you would have been 10-1 on favourite.

OK.
I'll ask the hard questions.

So what did your wife say when you told her that a guy from midwestern USA had named your butthole?

Or, have you told her yet?
Tom

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Do Aussies eat emus?

It's possible, but not common. I've tried it once, as well as Cassowary.
Around Australia Day (like Columbus Day I guess) it's usually possible to find 'Coat of Arms Burgers'. Our coat of arms is the emu and kangaroo, so making a meat patty out of the two is possible. Again, not common.

Eat the Australian Coat of Arms for Australia Day!

Do they taste like turkeys?

Nope. The meat is pretty tough, more fibrous, and much darker. It has a reasonable flavour, from what I remember. Eating it minced in a burger makes some sense.

How did a "Thanksgiving" holiday get translated into Australian?

We don't have one. Our main national days along those lines would be Australia Day (which is kinda our version of Columbus Day), and also ANZAC day. Which is more like Veterans Day I guess?

Here in the U.S., of course, we were thankful that the natives liked cheap beads more than they liked Manhattan, and that they didn't have firearms. So we chose to have dinner with them before we stole their land and murdered them. But you lot just stole their land and murdered them. You never made them dinner. So what's with the Aussies stealing our Thanksgiving holiday?

You might find this interesting.
Batman's treaty | Ergo

Long story short, the land for Melbourne was bought from the Aboriginals by John Batman.
The translator he took didn't speak the same language as the people he bought the land from. Good start. The treaty was possibly forged. The people who allegedly signed the treaty didn't have authority to sell the land from their people, assuming they even understood what 'selling land' meant.

And...here's the kicker...

The Crown immediately declared the treaty invalid anyway. Bravo, Crown, I hear you cry. Standing up for dodgy trade practices and appropriating land.
Nope. They had already passed a motion stating they owned ALL the land, without any treaties, negotiations or communication to anyone required.

Our history of indigenous relationships is pretty disgraceful in a lot of ways, ranging from well-meaning child removal policies through to genocide in Tasmania.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
OK.
I'll ask the hard questions.

So what did your wife say when you told her that a guy from midwestern USA had named your butthole?

Or, have you told her yet?
Tom

I haven't told her. She's roll her eyes and suggest I'm weird for posting on RF. Wouldn't be the first time.
Her care factor is unlikely to be high.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I haven't told her. She's roll her eyes and suggest I'm weird for posting on RF. Wouldn't be the first time.
Her care factor is unlikely to be high.
I'm not telling Doug that I did either.
His opinion of RF is extremely similar to Mrs Dave. Except for the care factor part. He has a jealous streak a mile wide.

YOU WHAT?
Who?
Tom

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not telling Doug that I did either.
His opinion of RF is extremely similar to Mrs Dave. Except for the care factor part. He has a jealous streak a mile wide.

YOU WHAT?
Who?
Tom

So telling him we were discussing names for my butthole would trigger his jealous streak? Go figure...
(j/k)