• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I dare you to ask lewisnotmiller something...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
...even if it's just 'Why the hell do you refer to yourself in the third person when writing a thread title, you moron?'

Ask away. I'll be honest. Or funny. I struggle to be both at once.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
...even if it's just 'Why the hell do you refer to yourself in the third person when writing a thread title, you moron?'

OK. I'll bite.

1/ What's with the lewis not miller name?

2/ How do you feel about the wallabies (wannabies) current rugby performance?

Cheers, Adrian :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have conducted exhaustive experiments on various possible meanings for life. Whilst the title of this thread is clearly a massive spoiler, you might be surprised to hear that I found the meaning of life. And it's chocolate. Chocolate is, in fact, the living embodiment of how we should be living.
The power of chocolate cannot be underestimated...
The above statements by you sound very confident. So I guess in your opinion Vanilla is just some sideshow compared to chocolate.

Atheists breed at lower rates than Muslims or Christians.
This is some kind of chocolatey theory I suppose.

The facts not supported by 'science' or 'mainstream journalism'. These, of course, are the facts you can trust, because...after all...they're not the facts you're learnt to distrust.
Goodness gracious

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
OK. I'll bite.

Good man!

1/ What's with the lewis not miller name?

I'm a big basketball fan, and the name is my username on a basketball forum (www.realgm.com).
So the story of what the name means is more sensible in a basketball context than a religious one. Although it's hard to discern the line between religious belief and my love of the Boston Celtics, to be sure.

So...I had an uber-cool dog named Reggie. Everyone knew I was a basketball nut, and worked out he was named after a basketball player. The most famous basketball player called Reggie, and of my vintage is Reggie Miller. So, people would commonly say to me 'Oh, you named him after Reggie Mller!!'
At this point I would have to swallow down the urge to slap them. I mean, Reggie Miller was an Indiana Pacer!! A Pacer!!!!
As an atheist, I had to look myself in the mirror and wonder - Is this what it feels like to be a fundamentalist?

After a good seven or eight seconds of reflection, I realised the fault wasn't mine. Some people were just ignorant of the great man, Reggie Lewis, who tragically passed away at age 28.
So I made my username 'LewisnotMiller', as in the response to the question 'Awww....he's so cute, and you named him after Reggie Miller...'

When I came to RF, it was (unusually) the result of a conversation on realgm about deism. A basketball player had come out as homosexual, and there was a wide range of thoughts, both supportive and not. One member ranted about it quite vehemently, but claimed to be Deist rather than Christian (the site is mostly American).
I came here to ask few questions around the topic, and stayed for the hot chicks and ridiculous staff perks. Or because I couldn't find the exit door. One or the other.

2/ How do you feel about the wallabies (wannabies) Rugby performance?

Cheers, Adrian :)

Heh, I'll give you that one. I've lived in NZ, so I can relate...lol
However, the more serious answer is that I don't really care. I'm from Melbourne, and whilst sports mad, Union is barely a blip here.

As previously mentioned, I'm a massive basketball fan (as well as player and coach). But the other sport most overseas folk don't quite understand in terms of popularity is Aussie Rules football. It dwarfs Union, and is far bigger than League here too, although it depends on the region.
Melbourne, where I am, is the heartland.

Combined AFL (Aussie Rules) attendance in 2018 - 7,595,165 (average crowd of 34,818 for regular season, 77,821 for finals)
Combined NRL (Rugby League) attendance in 2018 - 3,257,235 (average crowd of 16,620 for regular season)

And Rugby? Well...even combining Super Rugby plus internationals, it's not even a blip. It's competing with Soccer and Basketball, not Aussie Rules and League.

Still, I respect a good-natured ribbing as much as the next guy, and we seem to deserve it right now!!!

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Good man!

I'm a big basketball fan, and the name is my username on a basketball forum (www.realgm.com).
So the story of what the name means is more sensible in a basketball context than a religious one. Although it's hard to discern the line between religious belief and my love of the Boston Celtics, to be sure.

So...I had an uber-cool dog named Reggie. Everyone knew I was a basketball nut, and worked out he was named after a basketball player. The most famous basketball player called Reggie, and of my vintage is Reggie Miller. So, people would commonly say to me 'Oh, you named him after Reggie Mller!!'
At this point I would have to swallow down the urge to slap them. I mean, Reggie Miller was an Indiana Pacer!! A Pacer!!!!
As an atheist, I had to look myself in the mirror and wonder - Is this what it feels like to be a fundamentalist?

After a good seven or eight seconds of reflection, I realised the fault wasn't mine. Some people were just ignorant of the great man, Reggie Lewis, who tragically passed away at age 28.
So I made my username 'LewisnotMiller', as in the response to the question 'Awww....he's so cute, and you named him after Reggie Miller...'

When I came to RF, it was (unusually) the result of a conversation on realgm about deism. A basketball player had come out as homosexual, and there was a wide range of thoughts, both supportive and not. One member ranted about it quite vehemently, but claimed to be Deist rather than Christian (the site is mostly American).
I came here to ask few questions around the topic, and stayed for the hot chicks and ridiculous staff perks. Or because I couldn't find the exit door. One or the other.

Heh, I'll give you that one. I've lived in NZ, so I can relate...lol
However, the more serious answer is that I don't really care. I'm from Melbourne, and whilst sports mad, Union is barely a blip here.

As previously mentioned, I'm a massive basketball fan (as well as player and coach). But the other sport most overseas folk don't quite understand in terms of popularity is Aussie Rules football. It dwarfs Union, and is far bigger than League here too, although it depends on the region.
Melbourne, where I am, is the heartland.

Combined AFL (Aussie Rules) attendance in 2018 - 7,595,165 (average crowd of 34,818 for regular season, 77,821 for finals)
Combined NRL (Rugby League) attendance in 2018 - 3,257,235 (average crowd of 16,620 for regular season)

And Rugby? Well...even combining Super Rugby plus internationals, it's not even a blip. It's competing with Soccer and Basketball, not Aussie Rules and League.

Still, I respect a good-natured ribbing as much as the next guy, and we seem to deserve it right now!!!

Thanks for that. You seem like a decent bloke so the next question I was going to ask was your purpose being here. There's quite a mix of beliefs represented here along with the hardliners and fundamentalists. You've answered that quite well.

I understand that Rugby union doesn't even make the top 5 list of most important sports for Australians...which is a good thing. New Zealanders probably have too much invested in the All Blacks.

I don't really care what religion or worldview a person has as long as they engage in conversations in a reasonable and respectful manner. You always have as far as I can see.

Atheism is a very committed position along the spectrum of belief. Do you ever wonder if some truth to theism?

Earthling

David Henson

As an atheist you agree that there are no gods? Is Larry Bird a god?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The above statements by you sound very confident. So I guess in your opinion Vanilla is just some sideshow compared to chocolate.

Far be it from me to say that chocolate is objectively better than vanilla. That would be hubris of the highest order.
However, I think it is true that my opinion is pure objective truth. So at the time I said it, it was clearly completely correct, but if I change my mind, objective reality is dragged along with it. Sure, it sounds great, but it would be a lot of responsibility if I stopped to worry about consequence.

This is some kind of chocolatey theory I suppose.

Atheists definitely breed at lower rates than Christians and Muslims. Higher rates than bricks though. (on average!)

Goodness gracious

I'm pleased you completely agree with me on all things. If I wasn't so sure I already held unalienable truth in my mind, it would be quite validating.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for that. You seem like a decent bloke so the next question I was going to ask was your purpose being here. There's quite a mix of beliefs represented here along with the hardliners and fundamentalists. You've answered that quite well.

Then I should touch on why I stayed.
I've always been interested in religion. It's a more 'arms-length' relationship, but it fascinates me. My early investigations into it were more historical in nature (I'm a history buff) and i loved reading Greek myths in particular when I was a kid.
As I got older, I grew very interested in religious history and also in psychology and what motivates people generally.

And, as with anything, when you go somewhere and find people who you like, and are interesting/challenging, you tend to want to hang around.
People like @Sunstone, @Quagmire, @4consideration and @Debater Slayer (as well as many others, some of which aren't here now) were simply interesting and fun to be around. But please, don't tell them I said that...their heads are big enough.

I understand that Rugby union doesn't even make the top 5 list of most important sports for Australians...which is a good thing. New Zealanders probably have too much invested in the All Blacks.

I got right into it when I was in NZ too...lol
Sports nut is me.

I don't really care what religion or worldview a person has as long as they engage in conversations in a reasonable and respectful manner. You always have as far as I can see.

I'm sure I don't always succeed, but that is always my aim. Learning requires the ears more than the mouth, and I'm here to learn. And hopefully occasionally teach.
For what it's worth, your posting has invariably impressed me.

Atheism is a very committed position along the spectrum of belief. Do you ever wonder if some truth to theism?

Yes, I wonder about it a lot. Or at least, I always did.
I've always had Christian friends (in particular) and my family are broadly Christian. I have no issues with religion as a concept.

Ultimately, my approach was to attend services, talk to people a lot, read a lot, and follow the path that made the most sense to me, regardless of what I 'wanted' to be true.
Turns out that is atheism, and it hasn't changed in 35 years. It could be that the reason for that is simply my personality type (I tend to rationalise things heavily), could be my lack of imagination, or it could just be that many people are poor advertisements for their beliefs.

These days I spend more time worrying about people's morals and actions than their religion, but religion is still interesting to me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think about wombat square poop?

I think it's impressive.
However, if they really want to prove they deserve my admiration, it's going to take a hexagon.

In the meantime, I'll allow them to stay in my country, since they were here first anyway.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ha! Since you specified, that means that you CAN confirm or deny that I'm NOT completely correct nor incorrect!

I categorically deny the existence of categories, and therefore can't be put into the box in which you're trying to place me. Further, I specifically avoided specifying whether you were correctly incorrect, or incorrectly correct. However, you do have a good point, in that I CAN confirm or deny that you're not completely correct nor incorrect.
Unfortunately, I tried both confirming and denying this at THE SAME TIME, and now I appear to have done myself a mischief.