• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered

Muffled

Jesus in me
The old world is removed, and the new one is replaced in a day; then the Enlightened Saints are resurrected.

In my opinion. :innocent:

I do not believe either the world or the heavens are removed. I believe "new" means different from the old and not minor differences because the new world is not recognizable as the old one. For instance no-one remembers what the world was like when all the continents were together. The scientists can only suggest what they think it looked like.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think Isaiah is referring to people when he says "new heavens and new earth". for example, he says in Isa 1:2 "Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth! For the LORD has spoken: “I have nourished and brought up children, And they have rebelled against Me;"

That verse is similar to Deu 32:1 "Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak; hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.

The literal heavens and earth cannot hear, so a new heavens and earth refers to people wherein righteousness dwells.

Isa 11:9 says "They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." The literal earth does not become full of knowledge, but people do.

I fail to see any reasonable logic in that. I believe earth and heavens are not people.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I do not believe either the world or the heavens are removed.
Isaiah 24:19-20 The earth is utterly broken. The earth is torn apart. The earth is shaken violently. (20) The earth will stagger like a drunken man, and will sway back and forth like a hammock. Its disobedience will be heavy on it, and it will fall and not rise again.

Isaiah 54:9-10 “For this is like the waters of Noah to me; for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah will no more go over the earth, so I have sworn that I will not be angry with you, nor rebuke you. (10) For the mountains may depart, and the hills be removed; but my loving kindness will not depart from you, and my covenant of peace will not be removed,” says Yahweh who has mercy on you.

Deuteronomy 32:22 For a fire is kindled in my anger, that burns to the lowest Sheol,devours the earth with its increase, and sets the foundations of the mountains on fire.

Revelation 6:13-14 The stars of the sky fell to the earth, like a fig tree dropping its unripe figs when it is shaken by a great wind. (14) The sky was removed like a scroll when it is rolled up. Every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

Etc.

Hawkins

It is about God build a new place (final version of Heaven) only the angels and humans passing the Final Judgment can set foot on. At the same time it says that God has two jobs to do, to save humans and to make sure that those saved won't complain the past in eternity.

Redemptionsong

I believe these are events associated with the return of Jesus.

Interesting to read your posts. I feel we share a lot in common, but tell me why you think the new heaven and earth begins with the return of Christ. I need some persuasion on this one!

LightofTruth

I fail to see any reasonable logic in that. I believe earth and heavens are not people.
There are many who fail to see the use of figurative language in Scripture. When God commands the heavens and earth to hear Him do you suppose He's speaking to the literal sky and ground. Where's the "reasonable logic" in that?

In the Bible, “earth” does not always refer to our globe. For instance, Psalm 96:1 says literally: “Sing to Jehovah, all the earth.” We know that our planet-the terra firma and the vast oceans-cannot sing. People sing. Yes, Psalm 96:1 is referring to the people on the earth. If “heavens” can symbolize the superior ruling power or government so, to “earth.” represents a new society of people.

This prophecy was dealing initially with the restoration of Israel from Babylonian exile. Upon the Israelites’ return to their homeland, they entered into a new system of things. In harmony with God’s purpose, this new governmental arrangement, or “new heavens,” directed and supervised the subject people.-2 Chronicles 36:23; Haggai 1:1, 14.

Peter, however, shows that a future fulfillment was to be anticipated, on the basis of God’s promise. (2 Peter 3:13) Since God’s promise in this case relates to the presence of Christ Jesus, as shown at verse 4, the “new heavens and a new earth” must relate to God’s Messianic Kingdom and its rule over obedient subjects. By his resurrection and ascension to God’s right hand, Christ Jesus became “higher than the heavens” (Hebrews 7:26) in that he was thereby placed “far above every government and authority and power and lordship…not only in this system of things, but also in that to come.”-Ephesians 1:19-21; Matthew 28:18.

John’s vision refers to the passing away of “the former heaven and the former earth.” (Revelation 21:1; compare Isaiah 57:20; Revelation 20:11.) In the Christian Greek Scriptures, earthly governments and their peoples are shown to be subject to Satanic rule. (Matthew 4:8, 9; John 12:31; 2 Corinthians 4:3, 4; Revelation 12:9; 16:13, 14) The apostle Paul referred to “the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places,” with their governments, authorities, and world rulers. (Ephesians 6:12) So the passing away of “the former heaven” indicates the end of political governments along with Satan and his demons. This identification of “the former heaven” harmonizes with the fact that shortly before the statement concerning the “former heaven having passed away,” John had seen a vision of the complete defeat of Satan’s forces and the casting of Satan into “the abyss.”-Revelation 19:19-20:3.

As for the new earth, following the pattern of the ancient fulfillment, the new earth will be made up of people-from all nationalities, languages, and races-who gladly submit to the rulership of the new heavenly government. After the passing of the present wicked system of things, this group will form the nucleus of a new earth that will eventually be a globe-encircling society of God-fearing humans who inherit the earthly realm of God’s Kingdom.-Matthew 25:34.

Redemptionsong

In the Bible, “earth” does not always refer to our globe. For instance, Psalm 96:1 says literally: “Sing to Jehovah, all the earth.” We know that our planet-the terra firma and the vast oceans-cannot sing. People sing. Yes, Psalm 96:1 is referring to the people on the earth. If “heavens” can symbolize the superior ruling power or government so, to “earth.” represents a new society of people.

This prophecy was dealing initially with the restoration of Israel from Babylonian exile. Upon the Israelites’ return to their homeland, they entered into a new system of things. In harmony with God’s purpose, this new governmental arrangement, or “new heavens,” directed and supervised the subject people.-2 Chronicles 36:23; Haggai 1:1, 14.

Peter, however, shows that a future fulfillment was to be anticipated, on the basis of God’s promise. (2 Peter 3:13) Since God’s promise in this case relates to the presence of Christ Jesus, as shown at verse 4, the “new heavens and a new earth” must relate to God’s Messianic Kingdom and its rule over obedient subjects. By his resurrection and ascension to God’s right hand, Christ Jesus became “higher than the heavens” (Hebrews 7:26) in that he was thereby placed “far above every government and authority and power and lordship…not only in this system of things, but also in that to come.”-Ephesians 1:19-21; Matthew 28:18.

John’s vision refers to the passing away of “the former heaven and the former earth.” (Revelation 21:1; compare Isaiah 57:20; Revelation 20:11.) In the Christian Greek Scriptures, earthly governments and their peoples are shown to be subject to Satanic rule. (Matthew 4:8, 9; John 12:31; 2 Corinthians 4:3, 4; Revelation 12:9; 16:13, 14) The apostle Paul referred to “the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places,” with their governments, authorities, and world rulers. (Ephesians 6:12) So the passing away of “the former heaven” indicates the end of political governments along with Satan and his demons. This identification of “the former heaven” harmonizes with the fact that shortly before the statement concerning the “former heaven having passed away,” John had seen a vision of the complete defeat of Satan’s forces and the casting of Satan into “the abyss.”-Revelation 19:19-20:3.

As for the new earth, following the pattern of the ancient fulfillment, the new earth will be made up of people-from all nationalities, languages, and races-who gladly submit to the rulership of the new heavenly government. After the passing of the present wicked system of things, this group will form the nucleus of a new earth that will eventually be a globe-encircling society of God-fearing humans who inherit the earthly realm of God’s Kingdom.-Matthew 25:34.

Hi Mark, you say that the new heavens and earth 'must relate to God's Messianic Kingdom and its rule over obedient subjects'.

When do you think this complete obedience begins? Is it on the return of Christ? Or, is it following the millennial reign of Christ on Earth? [Revelation 20]

Muffled

Jesus in me
Isaiah 24:19-20 The earth is utterly broken. The earth is torn apart. The earth is shaken violently. (20) The earth will stagger like a drunken man, and will sway back and forth like a hammock. Its disobedience will be heavy on it, and it will fall and not rise again.

Isaiah 54:9-10 “For this is like the waters of Noah to me; for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah will no more go over the earth, so I have sworn that I will not be angry with you, nor rebuke you. (10) For the mountains may depart, and the hills be removed; but my loving kindness will not depart from you, and my covenant of peace will not be removed,” says Yahweh who has mercy on you.

Deuteronomy 32:22 For a fire is kindled in my anger, that burns to the lowest Sheol,devours the earth with its increase, and sets the foundations of the mountains on fire.

Revelation 6:13-14 The stars of the sky fell to the earth, like a fig tree dropping its unripe figs when it is shaken by a great wind. (14) The sky was removed like a scroll when it is rolled up. Every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

Etc.

I believe that confirms what I said.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is about God build a new place (final version of Heaven) only the angels and humans passing the Final Judgment can set foot on. At the same time it says that God has two jobs to do, to save humans and to make sure that those saved won't complain the past in eternity.

He has left earth so the place is somewhere else right now: John 14:2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?

I believe that is incorrect. Heaven has always existed and always will. The rooms in the hose that Jesus is building are not in Heaven and are not Heaven.

I believe this is also not true because the final judgment does not occur until 1,000 years after we inhabit it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Interesting to read your posts. I feel we share a lot in common, but tell me why you think the new heaven and earth begins with the return of Christ. I need some persuasion on this one!

Mat 24:37 For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left. 42 Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming

I believe that is the verse that says it.

Redemptionsong

Mat 24:37 For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left. 42 Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming

I believe that is the verse that says it.

When do you see the thousand years of Revelation 20 occurring? Does the millennial reign occur before the events of Matthew 24, or after them?

Redemptionsong

I believe they occur after.

So, you believe that the seventh day, God's day of rest, begins with the return of Christ and extends to a thousand year reign on earth. I agree. This seventh day is also the millennium referred to in Revelation 20.

However, 'a new heaven and a new earth' only appears after the millennium has ended. In Revelation 20:13, towards the end of the millennium [see verse 5], the 'sea gave up the dead which were in it'. In the new heaven and earth, there is no sea [Rev 21:1]. You could say, therefore, that the new heaven and earth comes into being on the first day of a new week - as a parallel to the resurrection of Christ.

chris baron

In my humble opinion, you have to start with the opening words of Genesis:
'In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.' This was the first heaven and earth. It came 'in the beginning'.

If we then turn to the last book in the Bible, Revelation, we have this said:
Rev.21:1. 'And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.'

Within the covers of the Bible you have God's dealings with us (those living under the shadow of sin within the first heaven and earth).

IMO, the time period given in Genesis is a week of 7 thousand years. The new heaven and earth should appear after seven thousand years. We are somewhere near the end of six thousand since Adam.

As I understand it, sea is a reference to sin, so like LightofTruth I understand this passage to be talking about a time in the future when God makes all things new under Christ.

The prophet Isaiah confirms the revelations given by Moses and John. Together they confirm the words of Jesus, who said, 'scripture cannot be broken.'

A NEW CREATION

Seest thou not that Allah created the heavens and the earth in Truth? If He so will, He can remove you and put (in your place) a new creation? (Surah İbrahim, 19)

They say: "What! when we are reduced to bones and dust, should we really be raised up (to be) a new creation?" (Surah Al-Isra’, 49)

That is their recompense, because they rejected Our signs, and said, "When we are reduced to bones and broken dust, should we really be raised up (to be) a new creation?" (Surah Al-Isra’, 98)

The Unbelievers say (in ridicule): "Shall we point out to you a man that will tell you, when ye are all scattered to pieces in disintegration, that ye shall (then be raised) in a new creation? (Surah Saba’, 7)

If He so pleased, He could blot you out and bring in a new creation. (Surah Fatir, 16)

Were We then weary with the first Creation, that they should be in confused doubt about a new creation? (Surah Qaf, 15)

Redemptionsong

A NEW CREATION

Seest thou not that Allah created the heavens and the earth in Truth? If He so will, He can remove you and put (in your place) a new creation? (Surah İbrahim, 19)

They say: "What! when we are reduced to bones and dust, should we really be raised up (to be) a new creation?" (Surah Al-Isra’, 49)

That is their recompense, because they rejected Our signs, and said, "When we are reduced to bones and broken dust, should we really be raised up (to be) a new creation?" (Surah Al-Isra’, 98)

The Unbelievers say (in ridicule): "Shall we point out to you a man that will tell you, when ye are all scattered to pieces in disintegration, that ye shall (then be raised) in a new creation? (Surah Saba’, 7)

If He so pleased, He could blot you out and bring in a new creation. (Surah Fatir, 16)

Were We then weary with the first Creation, that they should be in confused doubt about a new creation? (Surah Qaf, 15)

Hello, Chris. When did you become a Muslim, and what led you to believe that the prophecy of Muhammad was true? As a Christian, I cannot hold to the truth of the Quran, as in many ways it contradicts what is said in the Bible.

3rdAngel

Isaiah was the 8th-century BCE Israelite Prophet after whom the Book of Isaiah is named. Within the text of the Book of Isaiah, Isaiah himself is referred to as "the prophet". There are many verses within this book that the followers of Judaism, Christianity and the Baha'i Faith considered Messianic. Others refer to a time of peace in the very distant future. Although the Prophet Isaiah is not mentioned in the Quran or Hadiths some Islam scholar recognise him as a Prophet. Some will even go as far as to claim Isaiah predicted the coming of Muhammad.

The book of Isaiah is composed of 66 chapters. A verse within the 65th chapter reads:

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
Isaiah 65:17

With reference to scripture (from and Abrahamic Faiths) what do you think Isaiah was trying to communicate?

Thanks for the topic. I found it interesting and wanted to know more about it so prayterfully did a bit of reading today and found some interesting scriptures I thought I would share. The scripture in ISAIAH 65:17 with surrounding context says..

NEW HEAVENS, NEW EARTH AND A NEW JERUSALEM IN THE SCRIPTURES

ISAIAH 65:17-19,
[17] FOR, BEHOLD, I CREATE NEW HEAVENS AND A NEW EARTH: AND THE FORMER SHALL NOT BE REMEMBERED, NOR COME INTO MIND.[18] But be you glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, BEHOLD, I CREATE JERUSALEM a rejoicing, and her people a joy.[19], AND I WILL REJOICE IN JERUSALEM, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

Keep in mind there are no chapters in the scriptures here in ISAIAH, it is similarly repeated not long after in ISAIAH 66 here

ISAIAH 66:22-23,
[22], FOR AS THE NEW HEAVENS AND THE NEW EARTH, WHICH I WILL MAKE, SHALL REMAIN BEFORE ME, SAID THE LORD, SO SHALL YOUR SEED AND YOUR NAME REMAIN. [23], And it shall come to pass, THAT FROM ONE NEW MOON TO ANOTHER, AND FROM ONE SABBATH TO ANOTHER, shall all flesh come to worship before me, said the LORD.

The new testament scriptures speak of the new heavens and earth here being made for rightoeusness or the righteouss...

2 PETER 3:13
[13], Nevertheless WE, ACCORDING TO HIS PROMISE, LOOK FOR NEW HEAVENS AND A NEW EARTH, WHEREIN DWELLS RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Jesus spoke of the renewal of all things - the time when all things are made new.

MATTHEW 19:28
Jesus said to them, I TELL YOU THE TRUTH, AT THE RENEWAL OF ALL THINGS, when the Son of Man sits on His glorious throne, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel

Same thing is mentioned in ACTS..

ACTS 3:21
Who [Christ] must remain in heaven UNTIL THE TIME OF UNIVERSAL RESTORATION THAT GOD ANNOUNCED LONG AGO THROUGH HIS HOLY PROPHETS (reference back to to ISAIAH 65 and ISAIAH 66)

As can be seen in the scriptures here IMO we are talking about God creating a new heaven and a new earth that will take place after the 2nd coming. Interestingly in the book of REVELATION we read this also about the “NEW JERUSALEM that God will create as referenced from ISAIAH 65:18 here

REVELATION 3:12
HIM THAT OVERCOMES will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and i will write on him the name of my god, and the name of the city of my god, which is NEW JERUSALEM, WHICH COMES DOWN OUT OF HEAVEN FROM MY GOD: and I will write on him my new name.

Repeated here…

REVELATION 21:1
[1], And I SAW A NEW HEAVEN AND A NEW EARTH: FOR THE FIRST HEAVEN AND THE FIRST EARTH WERE PASSED AWAY; and there was no more sea.

REVELATION 21:12
AND I JOHN SAW THE HOLY CITY, NEW JERUSALEM, COMING DOWN FROM GOD OUT OF HEAVEN, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Letting the scriptures speak for themselves I believe they are saying exactly what they are saying. God will create a new heaven and a new earth for God’s people after his second coming IMO.

Thanks for the topic. I enjoyed it :)

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the topic. I found it interesting and wanted to know more about it so prayterfully did a bit of reading today and found some interesting scriptures I thought I would share. The scripture in ISAIAH 65:17 with surrounding context says..

NEW HEAVENS, NEW EARTH AND A NEW JERUSALEM IN THE SCRIPTURES

ISAIAH 65:17-19,
[17] FOR, BEHOLD, I CREATE NEW HEAVENS AND A NEW EARTH: AND THE FORMER SHALL NOT BE REMEMBERED, NOR COME INTO MIND.[18] But be you glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, BEHOLD, I CREATE JERUSALEM a rejoicing, and her people a joy.[19], AND I WILL REJOICE IN JERUSALEM, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

Keep in mind there are no chapters in the scriptures here in ISAIAH, it is similarly repeated not long after in ISAIAH 66 here

ISAIAH 66:22-23,
[22], FOR AS THE NEW HEAVENS AND THE NEW EARTH, WHICH I WILL MAKE, SHALL REMAIN BEFORE ME, SAID THE LORD, SO SHALL YOUR SEED AND YOUR NAME REMAIN. [23], And it shall come to pass, THAT FROM ONE NEW MOON TO ANOTHER, AND FROM ONE SABBATH TO ANOTHER, shall all flesh come to worship before me, said the LORD.

The new testament scriptures speak of the new heavens and earth here being made for rightoeusness or the righteouss...

2 PETER 3:13
[13], Nevertheless WE, ACCORDING TO HIS PROMISE, LOOK FOR NEW HEAVENS AND A NEW EARTH, WHEREIN DWELLS RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Jesus spoke of the renewal of all things - the time when all things are made new.

MATTHEW 19:28
Jesus said to them, I TELL YOU THE TRUTH, AT THE RENEWAL OF ALL THINGS, when the Son of Man sits on His glorious throne, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel

Same thing is mentioned in ACTS..

ACTS 3:21
Who [Christ] must remain in heaven UNTIL THE TIME OF UNIVERSAL RESTORATION THAT GOD ANNOUNCED LONG AGO THROUGH HIS HOLY PROPHETS (reference back to to ISAIAH 65 and ISAIAH 66)

As can be seen in the scriptures here IMO we are talking about God creating a new heaven and a new earth that will take place after the 2nd coming. Interestingly in the book of REVELATION we read this also about the “NEW JERUSALEM that God will create as referenced from ISAIAH 65:18 here

REVELATION 3:12
HIM THAT OVERCOMES will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and i will write on him the name of my god, and the name of the city of my god, which is NEW JERUSALEM, WHICH COMES DOWN OUT OF HEAVEN FROM MY GOD: and I will write on him my new name.

Repeated here…

REVELATION 21:1
[1], And I SAW A NEW HEAVEN AND A NEW EARTH: FOR THE FIRST HEAVEN AND THE FIRST EARTH WERE PASSED AWAY; and there was no more sea.

REVELATION 21:12
AND I JOHN SAW THE HOLY CITY, NEW JERUSALEM, COMING DOWN FROM GOD OUT OF HEAVEN, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Letting the scriptures speak for themselves I believe they are saying exactly what they are saying. God will create a new heaven and a new earth for God’s people after his second coming IMO.

Thanks for the topic. I enjoyed it :)

Thanks for sharing other scriptures the relate to a new heaven and earth. Those verses do shed light on what Isaiah meant. I agree a new heaven and earth take place after the second coming of Christ. Where we may not agree is that a new heaven and earth were signs that accompanied Christ’s first advent. Through His Teachings a new measure of God’s Grace was Revealed to humanity. So heaven denote those things of God with the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31) that.changed the lives and conditions of people through the establishment of a new social order with the Christian Church, representing a new earth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
So, you believe that the seventh day, God's day of rest, begins with the return of Christ and extends to a thousand year reign on earth. I agree. This seventh day is also the millennium referred to in Revelation 20.

However, 'a new heaven and a new earth' only appears after the millennium has ended. In Revelation 20:13, towards the end of the millennium [see verse 5], the 'sea gave up the dead which were in it'. In the new heaven and earth, there is no sea [Rev 21:1]. You could say, therefore, that the new heaven and earth comes into being on the first day of a new week - as a parallel to the resurrection of Christ.

I believe your problem is that you think the chapters are serial and that the events of ch 21 occur after the events of ch 20. I do not see it that way. Mat. 24 shows that it isn't a millenia until the end of the world but a generation.