• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I caught crabs!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, in therapy, I mentioned that one of the things I remember the most about Portugal was catching crabs.

Immediately people assume it means I caught lice on my genitals.

I meant , after my Dad kidnapped us, and took us to Fatima Portugal to raise us near the Marian Shrine there, I went to the beach and caught crabs.

3214960-crab-on-beach.jpg crab-sand.jpg
marari-beach-resort.jpg

Have you ever said something, and people totally thought you meant something else. Give an amusing example :p

Also, what is the coolest animal you ever caught from the wild?

Have you ever had crabs on your genitals? o_O

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So, in therapy, I mentioned that one of the things I remember the most about Portugal was catching crabs.

Immediately people assume it means I caught lice on my genitals.

I meant , after my Dad kidnapped us, and took us to Fatima Portugal to raise us near the Marian Shrine there, I went to the beach and caught crabs.

View attachment 56040 View attachment 56041 View attachment 56042

Have you ever said something, and people totally thought you meant something else. Give an amusing example :p

Also, what is the coolest animal you ever caught from the wild?

Have you ever had crabs on your genitals? o_O

I don't remember anything being mixed up but i could easily have happened to someone.

I caught crabs in Blackpool, took them to a friend's house, where we were staying for a few days, and put them in the fish pond. They obviously didn't like it, they climbed out, biggest first going down to the smallest at the back and walked in a line along the road to the sea stoping traffic on the promenade road as they crossed.

Coincidence, the coolest animal i caught was today, a viper. We have a compost bin, i opened the lid to put veg waste in and disturbed a viper curled up in the composting stuff. They are poisonous so with hubbies help (he came to investigate the scream) fished it out with a stick, into a canvas bag and took if into the forest to let it go.

Nope, never had pubic lice.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a friend when I was young who was rather sheltered. We were in a group of other teens, and people were talking about their pets. "I have crabs!" She told everyone proudly.

Later on, I explained to her why everyone was snickering, and encouraged her to find a different wording next time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't remember anything being mixed up but i could easily have happened to someone.

I caught crabs in Blackpool, took them to a friend's house, where we were staying for a few days, and put them in the fish pond. They obviously didn't like it, they climbed out, biggest first going down to the smallest at the back and walked in a line along the road to the sea stoping traffic on the promenade road as they crossed.

Coincidence, the coolest animal i caught was today, a viper. We have a compost bin, i opened the lid to put veg waste in and disturbed a viper curled up in the composting stuff. They are poisonous so with hubbies help (he came to investigate the scream) fished it out with a stick, into a canvas bag and took if into the forest to let it go.

Nope, never had pubic lice.
Interesting. I never knew that France or England had venomous snakes. I though that you had just the regular old garter snakes and other 'friendly' ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

I grew up in Minnesota which has venomous snakes in only one rather limited area. So most of the time when we see a snake unless one has a snake phobia there is no reaction to them. But I found one day that is not true with those from countries where they are a severe threat. On a geology field trip an African student disturbed a garter snake. He gave off the loudest shriek that I have heard a man make. And almost danced as he ran away a bit. Unfortunately for him everyone else had a bit of a laugh at his expense. I hate to imagine what the results could have been if it were the other way around.

pearl

Never had that mix up, but no little to nothing of sea crabs. When our daughter was in college, every time she came home for a visit, usually every couple of months, we had a family dinner with all the relatives. Wanted lobster but was not in season, the local seafood suggested crab. Well after paying 200.00 for the whole dinner, neither of us knew how to eat them!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Never had that mix up, but no little to nothing of sea crabs. When our daughter was in college, every time she came home for a visit, usually every couple of months, we had a family dinner with all the relatives. Wanted lobster but was not in season, the local seafood suggested crab. Well after paying 200.00 for the whole dinner, neither of us knew how to eat them!
You probably know now. Drop them in a pot of boiling water. It has been a while so I have forgotten exactly how long. One can add flavor with salt and various herbs and spices.

pearl

You probably know now. Drop them in a pot of boiling water. It has been a while so I have forgotten exactly how long. One can add flavor with salt and various herbs and spices.

Cooking them wasn't the problem, how to eat them was. Unlike lobster there was nothing to the legs, we were stumped. o_O:D and frustrated.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Interesting. I never knew that France or England had venomous snakes. I though that you had just the regular old garter snakes and other 'friendly' ones:

I grew up in Minnesota which has venomous snakes in only one rather limited area. So most of the time when we see a snake unless one has a snake phobia there is no reaction to them. But I found one day that is not true with those from countries where they are a severe threat. On a geology field trip an African student disturbed a garter snake. He gave off the loudest shriek that I have heard a man make. And almost danced as he ran away a bit. Unfortunately for him everyone else had a bit of a laugh at his expense. I hate to imagine what the results could have been if it were the other way around.

England has the adder, where i lived as a child there should have been plenty but never saw any on the farm. The only time i did see one was in the Lake District, i caught a glimpse as it was disappearing into a dry stone wall.

France has various vipers, only seen the one. One of the strays likes to bring me a present of a grass snake on occasion.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm from Iowa(and its where we live now), but I remember trying to convince my husband we could swim in the creek; he was terrified of water moccasins(which don't exist here).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm from Iowa(and its where we live now), but I remember trying to convince my husband we could swim in the creek; he was terrified of water moccasins(which don't exist here).
Yeah, too cold in Iowa, The all moved up to Minnesota:D

When I grew up in Minnesota it got down to -20 every winter in the Minneapolis area. When it began to be national news when it got the cold again recently I wondered why. I found out that after I left it did warm up a bit. The changing climate is now causing some extremes again. Oh and -50 or even -55 with wind chill factor. But there is not much bare skin to worry about at those temps.