• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Cannot Tell a Lie

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Also known as the nit-picking thread.

So was George Washington physically incapable or lack the mental capacity to tell a lie, or was he just unwilling to do so based on his morals and ethic? (Yes, that's a rhetorical question.)

"I will not tell a lie" would have been a more accurate way to depict the intent.

So in this thread, we take famous quotes with grammatical or vocabulary mistakes and post the corrected versions.

Aaand go!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Nathan Hale, "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country".

What he really meant: "Because if I had two maybe they'd let me keep one"

Nathan Hale clearly wasn't a Hindu. :D

Erebus

It's a tragedy that the people of his era didn't make the most out of a man who can only ever tell the truth. They could have answered some of mankind's most persistent questions.

"Is there a God?"

"What is the meaning of life?"

"Why is it impossible to plug in a USB on the first try?"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
"Je pense, donc je suis."
"Cogito, ergo sum."
"I think, therefore I am."

This quote by Rene Descartes has always been slightly ambiguous -- and far too many people have thought that it meant something like, "thinking has caused me to exist. That's certainly not what Descartes meant at all. He himself explained it (I'll only do the English here) as: "we cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt."

In other words, he is saying that there is at least one thing that I know: that because I am able to think, therefore there must be a me existing to do the thinking. While other knowledge could be a figment of imagination, deception, or mistake, he is saying that the very act of doubting one's own existence serves — at minimum — as proof of the reality of one's own mind; there must be a thinking entity — in this case the self—for there to be a thought.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
"My computer is acting up."

No, it isn't. Computers don't get happy. They don't get sad. They just run programs.