• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I cannot put my anger aside ..."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I cannot put my anger aside until things are quiet

The above article appeared in the May 12th Times of Israel. It begims:

No question Hamas is a repulsive, immoral enemy. And yet, Israel, enamored by its own power, has failed its duty to strive to be smarter, more just, more visionary​

And it ends:

There are parts of the narrative we cannot control. The reality is that with enemies like Hamas and Hezbollah, peace is impossible.

But I am angry that we are not striving to be better: smarter, more just, more hopeful, more visionary. I am angry because over and over again we choose narratives that contribute to our moral mediocrity and elevate a bad and unsustainable status quo. I cannot put this anger aside until tomorrow. Our destiny is to always have to pay a price for our existence. Our responsibility is to strive for greatness within this destiny.​

It is, in my opinion, worth reading.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot put my anger aside until things are quiet

The above article appeared in the May 12th Times of Israel. It begims:

No question Hamas is a repulsive, immoral enemy. And yet, Israel, enamored by its own power, has failed its duty to strive to be smarter, more just, more visionary​

And it ends:

There are parts of the narrative we cannot control. The reality is that with enemies like Hamas and Hezbollah, peace is impossible.

But I am angry that we are not striving to be better: smarter, more just, more hopeful, more visionary. I am angry because over and over again we choose narratives that contribute to our moral mediocrity and elevate a bad and unsustainable status quo. I cannot put this anger aside until tomorrow. Our destiny is to always have to pay a price for our existence. Our responsibility is to strive for greatness within this destiny.​

It is, in my opinion, worth reading.

Thanks for sharing. I studied a lot of modern Israeli history in my youth, but as I've gotten older, and my views more nuanced I've found it increasingly difficult to follow. But with that said, a lot of the points being made in the article resonated.
Even more so, they seem applicable to other politically polarised situations around the world.

As Nietzsche said 'He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.'

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Thanks for sharing. I studied a lot of modern Israeli history in my youth, but as I've gotten older, and my views more nuanced I've found it increasingly difficult to follow. But with that said, a lot of the points being made in the article resonated.
Even more so, they seem applicable to other politically polarised situations around the world.

As Nietzsche said 'He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.'
The generation of Jews that endured horrible horrendous suffering are now pretty much dead, replaced by it's new generation oblivious to that kind of suffering, and no longer feels what it's like.

Sometimes ones historical victims morphs its own offspring into a beast of its own making when past matters of the heart turns itself into stone by those who didn't previously feel the pain.