• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can see it clearly now.

Audie

Veteran Member
Since i stopped discussion or debate of religious topics, i can clearly see how toxic RF has become for religious and spiritual people.

No chance in hell i going back to those discussions

Imagine being called on to examine one's precious beliefs.

In real life, people who are thete to raise
doubts and questions are a valuable resource.

Putin could have used some.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Since i stopped discussion or debate of religious topics, i can clearly see how toxic RF has become for religious and spiritual people.

"As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another."

Does the RF mission statement need tweaking and/or ensuring compliance?

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Imagine being called on to examine one's precious beliefs.

In real life, people who are thete to raise
doubts and questions are a valuable resource.

Putin could have used some.
In my personal life i question my faith every day, my spiritual friends discuss with me.

What I don't need is someone who has no faith or belief telling me what I should or not should believe in.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
"As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another."

Does the RF mission statement need tweaking and/or ensuring compliance?
In my honest opinion, yes RF need stricter rules for when harrasment from non believers toward religious texts or religious people happening. It happens every single day from a few non believers.

InvestigateTruth

It becomes toxic when the discussion becomes about winning the opponent rather than to think and learn with each other. Unfortunately most discussions turn that way. I learned overtime, when to discontinue a discussion.

There is an interesting Hadith

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “I guarantee a house on the outskirts of Paradise, a house in the middle of Paradise, and a house in the highest part of Paradise for one who gives up arguing even if he is right, who gives up lying even while joking, and who makes his character excellent.”

"...must cling unto patience and resignation, observe silence, and refrain from idle talk. For the tongue is a smoldering fire, and excess of speech a deadly poison. Material fire consumeth the body, whereas the fire of the tongue devoureth both heart and soul. The force of the former lasteth but for a time, whilst the effects of the latter endure a century."
Bahaullah

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

It saddens me a little that you don't see how toxic it can also be for people who are not religious. We are the brunt of many slights and insults, I assure you.

And not all of us are guilty -- I know that I myself have tried to dialogue honestly with you in the past.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In my honest opinion, yes RF need stricter rules for when harrasment from non believers toward religious texts or religious people happening. It happens every single day from a few non believers.

Report them, let staff decide if its harassment. If so then they solve the problem for you

Orbit

I'm a planet
I don't like being lumped in with whomever is harassing you. Report them, but don't overgeneralize--there are plenty of nonbelievers here who DON'T harass you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It saddens me a little that you don't see how toxic it can also be for people who are not religious. We are the brunt of many slights and insults, I assure you.

And not all of us are guilty -- I know that I myself have tried to dialogue honestly with you in the past.
I should have mention you guys too, I know you get a lot of trash too, so I see it.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Looking at the numerically Top 5 posters for day, week, month and overall it seems to me that there are (currently) just two of those who identify as religious. Certainly the majority are atheist. I think that says something but I'm not sure what. Athiests are the most chatty?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What if RF became a safe haven for religious thought?

I don't think it was ever intended to be that.

In an increasingly polarized world everyone wants a refuge for their truth. Then they want to spread their truth. Then they want their truth to power.

I don't think it's a good idea to snuff out the voices of those that disagree.

I'm not sure humanity will ever find a common truth of all for the survival, benefit, and prosperity of humans.

If someone wants a religious forum, then I think it's only fair that those that oppose religion should have voice also.

Turn the tables and open up an atheist forum for atheists only. How interesting would that be?

Much is made in religion about how atheists are rebels, or reprobate.

Atheism is an honest view of the world.

I know that many religions are honest about their faith.

So atheists have their truth, the religious have theirs. How can they coexist in a civil society?

Gargovic Malkav

Looking at the numerically Top 5 posters for day, week, month and overall it seems to me that there are (currently) just two of those who identify as religious. Certainly the majority are atheist. I think that says something but I'm not sure what. Athiests are the most chatty?

I think that's a reason why I think some "progressive" people still like the closet thing, or perhaps they don't even know:
Being physically non-aggressive doesn't mean you're more peaceful and/or empathic imo...

But then again, in their moral system, perhaps they have a good reason to be that way.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then it isn't considered harassment, its just your personal view.

Mods are pretty strict on that sort of thing. Trust me, i have been the recipient of a slapped hand several times.
I have no intention to disrespect mods but I have to disagree with you on this.

I am not the only target in their harrasment