• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can not reject Science :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Knowledge is wonderful, but take care with 'Science'.

Science is devious, and here is how. To make you a believer, Science will insist that it is researched, tried, tested and proven by scientists, and many folks just take this bait and because of it can make all manner of choices and decisions.
And...... when these 'many folks' are let down by the 'Science' that sold itself to them, causing deaths, deformed children, illnesses, agonies and failures, these poor folks are told, 'No! That wasn't Science! You were duped by Ignorance! Science is truth!'
So take care with 'Science', because sometimes it's truth, and sometimes it's lies.
In right combination with buddhism, sience will be good for me :)

Jumi

Science is great. People are working hard to produce ideas and test them against reality. Learning about things like systematic errors can help us in every day life also.

sealchan

For many years i have not wanted science to be a righterous path and i have struggled with the facts within science, but after a lot of thinking and meditation i come to the conclution that i could gain something from science, and as a buddhist i have fully embraced the teachings of Buddha that i will never stop doing, But i have realised that to become even better in understanding the world i must embrace the science too, I will probably never understand all i wish to do, but one part of life i have very little knowledge of what science actually say. and ofcourse science of the mind do make me curiouse, because it is so close to Buddhism :)

I hope to gain scientific wisdom from people here too :)

I was first impressed by science when I saw Carl Sagan's Cosmos series. Then I got into In Search of Schroedingers Cat by John Gribbin.

I recommend reading or watching popular works about science including biographies of scientists to gain an appreciation for science and a good high level understanding of what has been discovered.

For science of the mind NOVA has some great shows no doubt. Some great shows about many scientific topics too.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
For many years i have not wanted science to be a righterous path and i have struggled with the facts within science, but after a lot of thinking and meditation i come to the conclution that i could gain something from science, and as a buddhist i have fully embraced the teachings of Buddha that i will never stop doing, But i have realised that to become even better in understanding the world i must embrace the science too, I will probably never understand all i wish to do, but one part of life i have very little knowledge of what science actually say. and ofcourse science of the mind do make me curiouse, because it is so close to Buddhism :)

I hope to gain scientific wisdom from people here too :)
I believe in God because of science

sealchan

A good book on neural science will go a long way with this quest. But, in order to understand it, you will need some basics of anatomy, physiology, and a bit of physics (to understand what a potential is, for example). A bit of calculus, which is the general study of how to quantify change, can help a lot.

I loved Calculus but I wouldn't recommend it for non-math people.

Solving simple algebraic equations for almost any type of science gives you enough of the flavor to understand how rigorous quantifiable thinking must be in science. Math is it's own form of spiritual meditation IMO.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Amanaki ,

Just a few comments about math:

1) To quote you, my friend. It takes practice to receive the wisdom.
2) Calculus in my opinion is a scientific approach to the concept of infinity. But in order to see the beauty in it, a person needs an understanding of number theory.
3) If I were you, I would start with number theory, then move on to calculus. Number theory will be very useful as a mental workout before moving on to Calculus.

I am guessing that your past experience with math was heavily computational. That's not fun. I have a good book on number theory written for adults somewhere in my library. The book focuses on math as a series of thought experiments. If you want me to find the title, PM me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Amanaki ,

Just a few comments about math:

1) To quote you, my friend. It takes practice to receive the wisdom.
2) Calculus in my opinion is a scientific approach to the concept of infinity. But in order to see the beauty in it, a person needs an understanding of number theory.
3) If I were you, I would start with number theory, then move on to calculus. Number theory will be very useful as a mental workout before moving on to Calculus.

I am guessing that your past experience with math was heavily computational. That's not fun. I have a good book on number theory written for adults somewhere in my library. The book focuses on math as a series of thought experiments. If you want me to find the title, PM me.
Last time i tried to learn math was in highschool :) so that is more then 20 years ago :) i do need to start in the basic again, that is for sure

sealchan

Last time i tried to learn math was in highschool :) so that is more then 20 years ago :) i do need to start in the basic again, that is for sure

For me math is the same all the way up...theory is one thing, but practice is another. It is like computer programming...you know there is an answer and there is a method...but sometimes to perceive the path to the solution is a deeply challenging thing. Math nerds seem to develop a confidence in this, but most others are made to feel inadequate.

I recommend, "do the maths", do the exercises until you get to the one's that challenge you. Then push into that challenge until you master it. THAT is the spiritual experience of math at any level.

What you get from that is a deep respect for the human mind to grapple with an objective reality that does not care about you as a person but about "the correct way to understand". It can be personally punishing and one should only take as much as one can absorb. It is, IMO, the basis of a scientist's arrogance over the believer's naivete. It is the basis for recognizing the deep truth of an objective reality and how small a part we all are of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you know algebra, you can start with differential calculus.
(It's where you learn to divide by zero.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you know algebra, you can start with differential calculus.
(It's where you learn to divide by zero.)
:confused:Algebra:confused: uhmmmmm let me look in the back of my brain :p I remember i did learn about it in school but what i learn must be very good hidden somewhere in my brain :D But i will refresh the topic for sure

sealchan

:confused:Algebra:confused: uhmmmmm let me look in the back of my brain :p I remember i did learn about it in school but what i learn must be very good hidden somewhere in my brain :D But i will refresh the topic for sure

If you need a book recommendation then try Schaum's Outlines...brief, to the point, shows examples and is relatively cheap. Plenty of exercises.