• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can not reject Science :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As i said earlier in this thead, my math knowledge is very very limited, But from watching a very short introduction to calculus i actually do understand how @Brickjectivity can use calculus to find answer to how they went to the moon, or the path of an object thru space :) (my understanding is ofcourse very little yet)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
i will take some time (weeks,months) to take a look at calculus, maybe it will help me understand the physical world in a new way :)
One tiny thing is that the point I made about H2O is not a Calculus subject. The formula for H2O does not require Calculus but only some electrodes and a setup you can learn about in a youtube video. Anybody can separate water into oxygen and hydrogen without knowing Calc.

You do need Calculus to calculate the potential energy of gravity that it takes to escape Earth's gravitational field. This is based upon simple measurements. For example if you drop something from a tower and measure its rate of fall at different seconds, then you will be able to derive from that Force = Mass X Gravity (or Acceleration). Its a formula that applies to all things. In addition if you learn that Energy = Force x Distance you can calculate the total energy required to get any rocket out of Earth's gravitational field or to a given distance that you choose. It is the Distance that that the forces pushes your mass through. The reason it requires Calculus is that as your rocket spends fuel it weighs less and as it gets further from Earth the force decreases and therefore the energy required also decreases. At each moment the rocket requires a little less force and a little less fuel. You use calculus to get a formula that will give you the total at any point in time.

Similarly suppose you are working with financial information. You know that when a stock is popular people start to buy it, but when it is unpopular they start to sell it. Therefore the rate at which is it purchased changes based upon how many people own it! Its further complicated by the rate at which they are purchasing it and the faster people are buying it the higher the price is! You need calculus to guess at the rate at which it will be purchased or sold and what price you should pay. Otherwise its too complicated to make a guess. Calculus lets you use the rates to find a formula that predicts things like this. Its also used to calculate insurance rates.

In this case with stocks the calculation is based upon some financial assumptions, so its a model that you hope gets you close to a good formula. In the case of a rocket ship its more accurate, since you are dealing with forces that are not guesses. In this way you can design a rocket ship with confidence and know how much fuel it will need. Both kinds of problems require Calculus.

You might well wonder how people calculate the strength of something like a board. A board is the same thickness along its length, but everybody knows its weakest in the middle. With calculus you could figure out what thickness you would need to make a board that was thin at the ends but just as strong. You'd have a board that was lighter weight but just as strong. Similar calculations are used for helicopter blades, beams and all kinds of physical objects.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One tiny thing is that the point I made about H2O is not a Calculus subject. The formula for H2O does not require Calculus but only some electrodes and a setup you can learn about in a youtube video. Anybody can separate water into oxygen and hydrogen without knowing Calc.

You do need Calculus to calculate the potential energy of gravity that it takes to escape Earth's gravitational field. This is based upon simple measurements. For example if you drop something from a tower and measure its rate of fall at different seconds, then you will be able to derive from that Force = Mass X Gravity (or Acceleration). Its a formula that applies to all things. In addition if you learn that Energy = Force x Distance you can calculate the total energy required to get any rocket out of Earth's gravitational field or to a given distance that you choose. It is the Distance that that the forces pushes your mass through. The reason it requires Calculus is that as your rocket spends fuel it weighs less and as it gets further from Earth the force decreases and therefore the energy required also decreases. At each moment the rocket requires a little less force and a little less fuel. You use calculus to get a formula that will give you the total at any point in time.

Similarly suppose you are working with financial information. You know that when a stock is popular people start to buy it, but when it is unpopular they start to sell it. Therefore the rate at which is it purchased changes based upon how many people own it! Its further complicated by the rate at which they are purchasing it and the faster people are buying it the higher the price is! You need calculus to guess at the rate at which it will be purchased or sold and what price you should pay. Otherwise its too complicated to make a guess. Calculus lets you use the rates to find a formula that predicts things like this. Its also used to calculate insurance rates.

In this case with stocks the calculation is based upon some financial assumptions, so its a model that you hope gets you close to a good formula. In the case of a rocket ship its more accurate, since you are dealing with forces that are not guesses. In this way you can design a rocket ship with confidence and know how much fuel it will need. Both kinds of problems require Calculus.

You might well wonder how people calculate the strength of something like a board. A board is the same thickness along its length, but everybody knows its weakest in the middle. With calculus you could figure out what thickness you would need to make a board that was thin at the ends but just as strong. You'd have a board that was lighter weight but just as strong. Similar calculations are used for helicopter blades, beams and all kinds of physical objects.
You have made me curious about the use of calculus and to take some time to try understand more math :) The way you write about math actually does make it interesting :) When i was at school i "hated" math because nobody could explain it in a simple way i could wrap my head around :)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
For many years i have not wanted science to be a righterous path and i have struggled with the facts within science, but after a lot of thinking and meditation i come to the conclution that i could gain something from science, and as a buddhist i have fully embraced the teachings of Buddha that i will never stop doing, But i have realised that to become even better in understanding the world i must embrace the science too, I will probably never understand all i wish to do, but one part of life i have very little knowledge of what science actually say. and ofcourse science of the mind do make me curiouse, because it is so close to Buddhism :)

I hope to gain scientific wisdom from people here too :)
I do recommend a book by the Dalai Lama called “The Universe in a Single Atom”. I don’t know what school of Buddhism you belong to but in any case it is a good read, and you can get it on Amazon (or from a library).

Was there anything in particular that you struggled with, that you thought was “unrighteousness” or contradicted with your Buddist beliefs?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
For many years i have not wanted science to be a righterous path and i have struggled with the facts within science, but after a lot of thinking and meditation i come to the conclution that i could gain something from science, and as a buddhist i have fully embraced the teachings of Buddha that i will never stop doing, But i have realised that to become even better in understanding the world i must embrace the science too, I will probably never understand all i wish to do, but one part of life i have very little knowledge of what science actually say. and ofcourse science of the mind do make me curiouse, because it is so close to Buddhism :)

Science can be used to provide valid information on the formation of the Royal Gorge. It can used to study and discover facts about the Arkansas River that winds through its depths. Using science, you can learn much about the life in and around that river and in the canyon. What science cannot do is provide the wisdom needed to decide not to jump off the bridge spanning the gorge or a moral basis for making the decision.

Science is a tool. A very, very useful tool. Like any tool, it can be used for good or ill. How we use it is determined by reasons outside of science, but not without consideration of science, in my opinion.

This leads to an awareness that things can be made to look like science that are not science. It is not only important to be able to interpret science, but also to recognize what is not science, while claiming to be science.

Reactions: Jim

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Given current understanding and understanding of the time, of course the Lunar missions were possible.

Did NASA land men on the Moon? No, not in my opinion. For me, possible doesn’t equal “it happened” or even that it was probable.
What? I am just poised to hear the basis for this.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do recommend a book by the Dalai Lama called “The Universe in a Single Atom”. I don’t know what school of Buddhism you belong to but in any case it is a good read, and you can get it on Amazon (or from a library).

Was there anything in particular that you struggled with, that you thought was “unrighteousness” or contradicted with your Buddist beliefs?
I belong to theravada buddhist, but do not reject teachings from other schools either :)
Science was not an interest before mostly because i did not understand :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That is a heroic attitude! I am impressed.

I think that one of the most pleasant aspects of Science is that you learn Calculus. Calculus is a beautiful subject. It is finesse. I am not someone who would have the genius to invent the Calculus, but I am able to learn it and can reproduce its proofs. I can also use it to understand other things. I can understand how to quantify the fuel required by rocket. I understand why it is difficult to leave Earth and can calculate how much fuel is required to reach the moon. Look at how amazing that is, because I am not an astronaut. I'm not an astronaut, yet I understand what it takes to reach the moon. I am 'Nobody', but I have royal knowledge. Many people have difficulty believing that a person has ever stood upon the moon, but I understand how its possible. I who am 'Nobody' can understand this and how to calculate the fuel required. I can calculate that and the necessary strength of materials and thickness of the space capsule.

When someone says that the half life of uranium is 4.5 billion years, I understand how they get that result. While many people have heard that water is H20, I could prove it using simple equipment. I could, in fact, use electricity to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen and measure the volumes which would be in a ratio of 2 to 1. This is a form of freedom. It is a truth that was hitherto unattainable. Its like a key to handcuffs that each individual wears when they are born.
That’s interesting you like Calculus so much.
I didn’t take you for the “maths type.” No offence, just that it’s rare people even like maths at all.
I was more indifferent to it, but found maths relatively easy. Just follow the formula.

What got you interested in the subject?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That’s interesting you like Calculus so much.
I didn’t take you for the “maths type.” No offence, just that it’s rare people even like maths at all.
I was more indifferent to it, but found maths relatively easy. Just follow the formula.

What got you interested in the subject?
The concepts are not hard, and you can quickly attain some understanding, but proficiency and problem solving take practice.

Yeah I never appreciated Math and always wanted to use it like a super tool, easy and convenient. Well that was a ridiculous expectation, so I never become proficient at it but learned to appreciate it anyway and struggled through the coursework, sometimes more than once. I took the hardest Math courses I could find and would do terribly at them! It was not until some serious Math oopses that I realized my own deficiencies were not my imagination. Still I never gave up. I work on my math deficiencies even now, because while at first I wasn't interested I have become so. Probably what interested me to begin with was a picture of a super-function in an old computer graphics journal. It looked like a spaceship. I think I read that it was six dimensional which probably meant it was a polynomial of order 6.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Hi Amanaki. Science for me is the very best friend of religion because it guards us from superstitions and vain imaginings.

In life we need to ‘walk the spiritual path with practical feet’ and science keeps us balanced. It’s like a bird with two wings one science the other religion and without both wings the bird could not fly.

It’s only too easy when practising a religion to fall inot suoerstition so science acts as a great cleansing force to wash away the cobwebs of false suppositions and assumptions.

Any religious concept that does not conform to science needs to be further examined and questioned.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I have reasons and honestly don’t want to debate. Is that okay?
I have reasons to doubt a lot of things too.....no need to debate them. This is the information age and information is no longer trustworthy because of how easily human perceptions can be manipulated. That is a science all by itself. ;)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As a scientist, a Hindu and a lay follower of Buddha, I am overjoyed by your decision. :):)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You have made me curious about the use of calculus and to take some time to try understand more math :) The way you write about math actually does make it interesting :) When i was at school i "hated" math because nobody could explain it in a simple way i could wrap my head around :)
If you are interested in calculus, I will recommend a new and friendly book on the topic
https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Powers-Calculus-Reveals-Universe/dp/1328879984
However, the best and friendliest book on calculus remains the classic book "Calculus made easy" which is now out of copyright and freely available,
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Knowledge is wonderful, but take care with 'Science'.

Science is devious, and here is how. To make you a believer, Science will insist that it is researched, tried, tested and proven by scientists, and many folks just take this bait and because of it can make all manner of choices and decisions.
And...... when these 'many folks' are let down by the 'Science' that sold itself to them, causing deaths, deformed children, illnesses, agonies and failures, these poor folks are told, 'No! That wasn't Science! You were duped by Ignorance! Science is truth!'
So take care with 'Science', because sometimes it's truth, and sometimes it's lies.