• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I bought my first MAC yesterday

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Well, I am re-tooling for my dissertation stage, so I bought a new laptop.

It's my first Mac - a powerbook, almost the lowest on the totem pole.

I actually had a Mac in high school, and then in college I could only afford Windows. I bought the Mac online, so I have to wait for shipping (up to five days).

I got a free iPod touch (giving that to the wife) and a printer - very cool - $500 total.

Anyway, has anyone else taken the plunge and converted? I pretty much write papers for a living, and I'm a little uneasy about having to master a different word processor this late in the game.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I haven't taken the plunge and not sure if I ever will. There are many things I like about Macs but they are still pretty pricey compared to other laptops. They should be just fine for writing papers and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. What is the word processing program that came with your laptop? I guess there will be a bit of a learning curve with it but there seems to be a push in standardizing user interfaces between platforms so hopefully you'll get comfortable with it quickly.

A

angellous_evangellous

You have my sincere condolences, Daddy.

Not sure what you mean -

That I waited so long to buy a Mac

OR

That I no longer have Windows

In any case, the Mac now supports Windows OS, so I can run my old windows processor and two research based programs that I use. It turns out that the three programs that I use only run on Windows... but the Mac is a significant upgrade, with significant cost. I plan to buy the upgrades next semester.

A

angellous_evangellous

I haven't taken the plunge and not sure if I ever will. There are many things I like about Macs but they are still pretty pricey compared to other laptops. They should be just fine for writing papers and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. What is the word processing program that came with your laptop? I guess there will be a bit of a learning curve with it but there seems to be a push in standardizing user interfaces between platforms so hopefully you'll get comfortable with it quickly.

Yeah, it was pricey. But the iPod and the printer offer made it more than competitve with everyone else.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My first 3 computers were all Macs. One thing I can tell you; they're dependable as hell; My g3 powerbook is like 10 years old now and it's still going without a hitch. Only reason I'm not using it these days is the whimpy little 266 processor makes lugging it around (it's a brick) kind of pointless.

Not real crazy about the Safari browser though (decent overall, but kinda slow). Opera's better.

A

angellous_evangellous

:banghead3:computer:The damn thing hasn't even shipped yet.

Jeremy Mason

Dude, there's no tracking number yet. Apple tells me that it hasn't left the warehouse. :eek:

Sorry to hear that, but when Apple decides to finally get with the program, no pun intended, get the tracking number. I worked for UPS and one of my jobs was the routing clerk and the tracking number is super critical in knowing where it is in the system.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
They are making it with an extra dose of love. Steve Jobs is probably processing your order himself. I'd expect nothing less in order to satisfy a customer of your stature.

Alceste

Vagabond
Hi, angellous. I have a Mac (from the OSIX days, granted), and I use Windows on my laptop. My feeling is that where windows is ****e for everything I used my Mac for (film production, music recording and graphic design) I found the Mac to be extremely disappointing for running MS Office programs, and for online activity. On the other hand, most open source software is Mac compatible. If you download (free) Open Office, the writer is convertible to and from Word documents, you are laughing.

I prefer the Mac operating system - more stable, crashes less frequently and doesn't download nanny software (to make sure you're not downloading free stuff) and spyware all the time with its upgrades like MS does.

On the other hand, Linux offers all the operating system benefits Mac does (more, intutive user friendly interface and more easily configured for the user), and it's more stable than MS and Mac put together, and free.

You know how the saying goes - Linux users have to reboot about as often as they score. ;)

A

angellous_evangellous

They are making it with an extra dose of love. Steve Jobs is probably processing your order himself. I'd expect nothing less in order to satisfy a customer of your stature.

That's because he knows it's for his daddy.

Well, I'm already miffed that I gave him a bag of clams two days ago and the mac is still in the warehouse.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Well, I am re-tooling for my dissertation stage, so I bought a new laptop.

It's my first Mac - a powerbook, almost the lowest on the totem pole.

I actually had a Mac in high school, and then in college I could only afford Windows. I bought the Mac online, so I have to wait for shipping (up to five days).

I got a free iPod touch (giving that to the wife) and a printer - very cool - $500 total.

Anyway, has anyone else taken the plunge and converted? I pretty much write papers for a living, and I'm a little uneasy about having to master a different word processor this late in the game.
You have my condolences.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, it turns out that I purchased four items:

1) A macbook with custom upgrades
2) A printer
3) An ipod
4) The Apple Service Package

The ipod shipped from China the day after I purchased it - Aug 27, arrives today. The printer and service pack shipped from Mephis, TN (USA) the same day and also arrives today.

The macbook finally shipped early this morning from China, arrives Sept 4.

So it took Apple three whole days to get the macbook off a shelf in China and get it to FedEx, and another six days to get it to my door.

Last edited by a moderator: