• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Bought My First .50 calibre Assault Rifle Today!

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
He's a modern maker
But when it comes to old guns I generally test them with a double charge with it tied to an old tire, if it doesn't blow up then there are no weaknesses. After five shots of double charge and an inspection then I assume it is safe to fire with normal charges.
It's a loud day in your neighborhood.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Sharps carbine I reckon.
I like falling block actions, & single shots in general.
I think that is what I seem to recall the clearest. That photo was taken when I was three, though he had many of them up until I was 6 or 7. If I remember correctly, they were all functional. I only have two photos left and none of the rifles, pistols and other items. He had one that was a walking cane and a single shot rifle. It, sadly, was lost in a fire.

shmogie

I've never owned a .50 cal before but it seemed interesting and I had the money so I figured what the hell I'll buy it. I can play with it for a while and in a few years maybe make a few extra bucks on my investment or trade it for whatever strikes my fancy at the time.
Thoughts?
,50 cal ? Gads. Since you are rich, would you please buy me a Barrett .50 cal rifle for Christmas ? I would love being able to pop targets at a mile and a half.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
,50 cal ? Gads. Since you are rich, would you please buy me a Barrett .50 cal rifle for Christmas ? I would love being able to pop targets at a mile and a half.
At least you live somewhere with the space to shoot one. I was watching a show the other day where they were shooting specialty, armor piercing rounds that ran up to $150 a round. You can put a lovely hole in a railroad rail with them though.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
If you like modern small bore pistols I recommend the Ruger Mark 2, but just like motorcycles I suggest you ride the biggest you can handle, it's not that hard and saves one a lot of work and money cycling through things.

We Never Know

No Slack

50 cal is around 2.5x the size of a 30.06. Not much use here in the states but for show.
Kind of like a stock truck that's jacked up 4 feet off the ground, it's a fix for a small dic.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
At least you live somewhere with the space to shoot one. I was watching a show the other day where they were shooting specialty, armor piercing rounds that ran up to $150 a round. You can put a lovely hole in a railroad rail with them though.

A patched round ball with soft lead at 50 yards will squash on many metals and leave marks.

Last edited:

shmogie

You got me there

I don't play games, I speak the truth, and the truth of the matter is that my .50 calibre assault rife looks much like this:

f279846347037f31951a1619d656aea4.jpg

German silver and all with tigerstripe wood. I paid $1,600 for it from a custom maker out of Missouri, my reloading equipment is a drilled out deer antler (scrimshawed by me) in various grain measurements. I have a mould and cast my own balls, I have been known to make my own powder on occasion but it's a lot of work, rather pay $20 a pound for pros to do it for me.
Years ago I was big in black powder shooting, but the filth of the powder back then really was a bummer.

I finally sold my black powder guns. I understand that today powder is much cleaner.

Congratulations the Pennsylvania (Kentucky ) rifle is one of the most gorgeous firearms ever made.

Ya got me with the assault rifle thing, I couldn´t imagine an AR 15 action that could be modified for those monster rounds, good one.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Something I will explore:
Since I don't have a habit of licking my fingers I might try the animal dung/dirt mix for patching materiel for educational purposes and see how it works out on the range.

shmogie

Anyone who refers to "playing" with a firearm probably shouldn't have one.
Hmmmm, recreation is play. Hunting is play, defensive shooting contests are play, plinking is play.

Lighten up. I have a pistol and short rifle range on my property, I play with my guns out there all the time.

We Never Know

No Slack
I've never owned a .50 cal before but it seemed interesting and I had the money so I figured what the hell I'll buy it. I can play with it for a while and in a few years maybe make a few extra bucks on my investment or trade it for whatever strikes my fancy at the time.
Thoughts?

Maybe you should check into getting a M40A5. Smaller caliber but just as deadly near or far.