• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Believe ...

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If I assert to myself, or to you, that "I believe (in) "X"", I am basically asserting that I am choosing to no longer be skeptical or doubtful or undecided about the validity of "X" as a true assessment of reality. That's what it means to believe: not that "X" is true, but that I am choosing to hold it as true, and I am asserting that choice to myself and/or to you.

But why would I do such a thing? What am I gaining from making this choice? What does anyone else gain from my making this choice, and/or asserting that I have done so? These questions puzzle me because I can't give myself a reasonable answer. I mean I guess I would gain some peace or mind, in that I no longer have to carry any burden of doubt around about the validity of "X" as a proposed truth. And having dropped my skepticism I would no longer have to look out for and measure any possible evidence to the contrary. But these results do not sound like advantages, to me. In fact, they sound rather like examples of willful ignorance. Like ways of setting myself up for error and misjudgment. They sound like an authorization of personal bias.

We are constantly discussing and debating people's "beliefs" around here. It's nearly all anyone seems to be concerned about. And yet I'm having trouble seeing why any of us should be "believing in" anything! What are any of you gaining from it that is not ultimately just a biased and willful ignorance of the possibility that you could always be wrong? And I'm not asking to be insulting. I'm asking because I genuinely don't see any good reason to "believe in" things. To forfeit doubt, and skepticism, and just presume that we got this proposition right ... no questions asked.
"I believe"

Blind faith/belief is not required in religion, Yeshua said:
Matthew 15:13-14
King James Version (KJV)
13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
a blind man cannot guide a blind man

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 15:13-14 - King James Version

The Hellenist Pauline Christianity is not planted by G-d (whom Yeshua described as Heavenly Father), one gets to know, it is clear now that Hellenist Paul faked a vision (in which he got blinded also) to convert the followers of Yeshua to Hellenism, of dying rising deity, so the tree of Pauline Christianity is being pulled out and rooted up, Is there any need to the true lovers of Yeshua to remain fallen in the ditch with Hellenist Paul, rather they come out of it and follow Yeshua's true and reasonable teachings, please? Right?

Regards

Last edited:

MikeF

Premium Member
"I believe"

Blind faith/belief is not required in religion, Yeshua said:
Matthew 15:13-14
King James Version (KJV)
13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
a blind man cannot guide a blind man

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 15:13-14 - King James Version

The Hellenist Pauline Christianity is not planted by G-d (whom Yeshua described as Heavenly Father), as one gets to know, it is clear now that Hellenist Paul faked a vision (in which he got blinded also) to convert the followers of Yeshua to Hellenism, of dying rising deity, so the tree of Pauline Christianity is being pulled out and rooted up, Is there any need to the true lovers of Yeshua to remain fallen in the ditch with Hellenist Paul, rather they come out of it and follow Yeshua's true and reasonable teachings, please? Right?

Regards

Why is Paul necessarily blind? From a Jewish perspective, isn't Yeshua a blind leader, leading the blind into a ditch?

Who is to say whether all Abrahamics are blind and it is only the Buddha who truly sees,?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Why is Paul necessarily blind? From a Jewish perspective, isn't Yeshua a blind leader, leading the blind into a ditch?

Who is to say whether all Abrahamics are blind and it is only the Buddha who truly sees,?

Are you an agnostic or strong atheist?

PureX

Veteran Member
To be fair, people use the words faith and belief in a variety of ways. In its common usage, I see belief simply referring to ideas or concepts that are held as true or very likely to be true. The belief that something is true is usually justified in some way.
But this is the crux of my question; why do we need to "believe" that anything is true, when we can never really logically be certain of it, and we know we can never logically be certain of it? I understand accepting the likelihood that something is true, or very likely to be true until it shows itself not to be. That's logical, and functional.

So why this need to believe, or to claim to believe? Why this need to ignore the logical fact that the thing we are accepting as being true, may not be, because we can't or don;t know it to be so? Because that's what it means when we say we 'believe in' it. It means that we are dropping our doubts. If it doesn't mean that, then we are misusing the word.

I realize lots of people misuse words all the time. But that in no way alters my point, here.
Where I see the word faith use most often is in regards to religious beliefs. Faith is the overarching justification for holding the religious belief, and faith itself requires no justification; "I believe because I have faith". Invoking faith gives one permission to hold an idea, concept, or doctrine as true in spite of the lack of sufficient evidential support or justification, or in spite of conflicting or contradictory evidence.
Some religions are constantly and deliberately confusing and conflating faith with belief. To everyone's detriment, because it invites confusion and ignorance aself-delusion. Often ON PURPOSE. But that's all the more reason that we should not reinforce their confusion by doing it, ourselves. Faith is not belief, and belief is not faith. And the difference is CRUCIAL, because the difference is the acknowledgment of skepticism. Faith acknowledges logical skepticism, while belief ignores it. Which is why religions go bad exactly to the degree that they preach that faith IS belief (the rejection of skepticism).
One can justify a belief with supporting evidence, or justify a belief by invoking faith, a willful decision to hold something as true irrespective of evidence.
The issue here is not the evidence. Anyone can find evidence of anything. The issue is the rejection of logical skepticism, or the acceptance of it.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ok, well maybe I should use the term "I think it is likely", or "I think it is possible instead". As I always leave room for doubt.
What's most important, though, is that we don't dismiss our doubts, internally. That's the danger I see in believing in things: that we dismiss our doubts when we choose to believe. Because what we are really choosing to believe, first and foremost, is that we are right.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yet ideas don't do anything, they are abstractions in minds. It is people who USE those ideas to acheive some end where faith, or belief, is invested. You're using sloppy language here, to have faith in an idea silently means any person who uses the idea.
No, you are confusing the use of an idea with the idea, itself. A hammer can be used to pound nails, or it can be used to kill someone. The use does not define the idea, and the idea does not cause the actions they are ascribed to. Which is why we all need to be skeptical of our ideas, and of the ways we choose to apply them in the world. Faith acknowledges and accepts that skepticism, while belief rejects and ignores it. Religions that preach that faith is belief without doubt are blinding people to their own healthy and necessary skepticism, and thus enabling them to become far more emotional and illogical in their understanding and application of ideas.
All faith and belief is uncertain.
Not when we choose to ignore our doubts because we are being told and taught that to doubt is a sin. As some modern religions are preaching, constantly. No one has faith in Donald Trump. Because faith acknowledges skepticism, and if one is skeptical at all, they will see that Trump is just a selfish psychopath. But people do "believe in" Donald Trump because they have been taught to reject their own skepticism as a sin by their religion. Making them excellent patsies for the republican party to manipulate and use to win elections.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
After having read through this thread, a few observations.

@PureX - you're using the word "belief" in ways that are a bit strange to me, and to others. I suspect your method of circumscribing belief is causing challenges for seeing the utility of beliefs. Perhaps somewhat ironically, this itself is a demonstration of the utility of beliefs. To add another example beyond the others already presented, we can consider the issue from the perspective of philosophy and then the perspective of psychology.

One of the things we study in philosophy is something we can call "foundational assumptions" or "premises." If I'm understanding how you parse the word "belief" correctly, what you call "beliefs" are very much like these premises. A foundational assumption or premise is something that is taken to be true and cannot be proven or disproven. From there, conclusions are drawn from the premises (e.g., assuming X, then Y logically follows). All ideologies involve foundational assumptions that are taken for granted or simply given. So when you ask something like "what is the point of belief?" one can say "because you can't create an ideology or workable worldview without granting certain assumptions upon which you draw other conclusions." We can't not believe in things, in the manner you seem to be talking about.

By extension, psychology (and likely other social sciences, but I'm personally most familiar with psychology) also has some lessons we can draw from here. It is striking to consider that when it comes to human behavior, it does not matter what is objectively the case. Humans do not behave based on what is objectively the case, they behave based on what they believe to be the case. @mikkel_the_dane mentioned this tangentially in bringing up cognitive therapy. Assuming choice of beliefs is a thing, there is tremendous utility in choosing to believe particular things (or not) because it has very real behavioral consequences. Failing to appreciate the implications belief has on human behavior is dangerous, as can be seen in American politics these days.

F1fan

Veteran Member
But this is the crux of my question; why do we need to "believe" that anything is true, when we can never really logically be certain of it, and we know we can never logically be certain of it? I understand accepting the likelihood that something is true, or very likely to be true until it shows itself not to be. That's logical, and functional.
That is an open question. There's a bomb ticking and you have 10 seconds to sto it from going off. Do you need to believe that you cut the blue wire or the red wire? You know something about how devices are wired and you know red wires tend to carry an electrical current. You know this bomb maker makes bombs that follow designs. In this case you don't know what the bombmaker did. But you need to make a decision. If you do nothing you are dead. Cutting the red wire is most likely to stop the clock, but you aren't certain. You have some information to inform a judgment. You believe cutting the red wire is the right decision.

Compare that to:

Jim was raised in a Baptist church and learned that Jesus is the savior for mankind's sins. Jim learns the Bible and recites texts as part of his faith and devotion. Jim is now 44 and believes Christianity is true, and truth about life and the afterlife. He believes he will be in heaven after he dies. He believes there is a hell for those who deny God, and reject the gift of salvation through His son, Jesus Christ. Jim signs up to a debate forum to share his testimony and through debate he reads that the Bible has been edited, it was cobbled together in the 4th century from about 200 books, that the story of Jesus was likley constructed from pagan and Egyptian lore, that belief in a supernatural is not based on fact and reason, etc. Despite the arguments against belief in what Christianity says Jim has invested decades of his life to belief and faith, he is committed, and he is tied to his faith socially and emotionally. He can't just give it up. He needs his belief in Christianity. It does not matter if his belief is correct or is irrational. As long as his beliefs do not interfere with him functioning in society he can believe whatever he wants.

The way most religions are in the world they are integrated into social and business life. A person can be a scientist and still be a Muslim. The person would have learned to compartmentalize the knowledge of science to the beliefs of religion. He knows not to mingle the two sides of his thinking.

As detailed in the book Emotional Intelligence the human brain evolved an ability to bypass the frontal lobes when thinking about certain ideas. When theists were asked to consider their religious beliefs they were processed in the emotion centers of the brain and bypassed the frontal lobes, which means the brain learned to function in a way to protect its meaning. This is cognitive mapping. It's like a highway of neurons that can go anywhere. Those ideas that are non-rational will avoid the reasoning centers. This might be to avoid stress and emotional pain.

So the need to believe might be a matter of actual survival, but also survival of the ego. We feel pressure to think and believe as we see fit in whatever situation we are in.

So why this need to believe, or to claim to believe? Why this need to ignore the logical fact that the thing we are accepting as being true, may not be, because we can't or don;t know it to be so? Because that's what it means when we say we 'believe in' it. It means that we are dropping our doubts. If it doesn't mean that, then we are misusing the word.
I suspect many theists, especially those who engage in debate, know that their religious beliefs are dubious and not rational. They are likely trapped between their emotional commitment to religion and the reasonable doubt they are aware of. We see many theists justify their belief in the face of skepticism. The thread aboiut homosexuality and religion illustrates this. The Bahai have a doctrine that is prejudical against gays, and they assert their leadership is powerless to change that law. They accept the law and justify it "because it is what God says". Yet the text isn't from a God, it's from a guy who claims to be speaking for God. No God has come forth to verify the text. So it is the believer who is making the decision that the text is validm the Messenger is authentic, and that this God exists and really condemns gays. It's the believer's decision, and it is prejudical and immoral, yet thy try to defer this responsibility to the God. This illustrates how irrational beliefs sabotage a mind.

I realize lots of people misuse words all the time. But that in no way alters my point, here.
Some religions are constantly and deliberately confusing and conflating faith with belief. To everyone's detriment, because it invites confusion and ignorance aself-delusion. Often ON PURPOSE. But that's all the more reason that we should not reinforce their confusion by doing it, ourselves.
Faith and belief have multiple definitions that differ, but they also share a definition, so can mean the same thing. So it is all about using context properly, and not using tricky and misleading language.

Faith is not belief, and belief is not faith. And the difference is CRUCIAL, because the difference is the acknowledgment of skepticism. Faith acknowledges logical skepticism, while belief ignores it. Which is why religions go bad exactly to the degree that they preach that faith IS belief (the rejection of skepticism).
Religious faith and religious belief both ignore skepticsm. Both self-justify.

Secular faith (trust) may be blind to facts or consistent with facts. Let's say Jim has a drug problem and you have been supporting his recovery. He has been clean for 7 months, got a job, and you see this pattern as good and have faith in Jim that he will stay clean and stable. Excellent, you have faith in jim and his commitment to a drug-free life. But one night Jim runs into an old friend and they go to a bar for a drink. Jim gets a little drunk, and the friend offers drugs. Jim's not rational and does the drugs. Jim falls back into the old pattern of behavior. Despite your faith in him he fell off the wagon. You can take these facts and lose faith, or justify more investment. It's all uncertain, faith is a way for us to cope with a lack of control.

The issue here is not the evidence. Anyone can find evidence of anything. The issue is the rejection of logical skepticism, or the acceptance of it.
And logical skepticism tends to work reliable and truthfully. The real issue is why an otherwise rational mind wants to reject logic and sketicism to adopt and accept untrue ideas. Let's say a kid believes in the Tooth Fairy. parents talk about her, and she brings money for your teeth that fell out. That is pretty good evidence. Indisputable. Then your parents confess that it is a fraud, they put the money there. Do you still believe? No, you accepted facts and applied skepticism. But when adults are confronted with septicism about religious beliefs, like Jesus as savior, they reject the facts and logic and keep the faith.

F1fan

Veteran Member

@PureX - you're using the word "belief" in ways that are a bit strange to me, and to others. I suspect your method of circumscribing belief is causing challenges for seeing the utility of beliefs. Perhaps somewhat ironically, this itself is a demonstration of the utility of beliefs. To add another example beyond the others already presented, we can consider the issue from the perspective of philosophy and then the perspective of psychology.
I have noticed some theists will use a word in sentences that use multple definitions and applications, and this seems deliberate to blur meanings of what is being said. the more confusion a theist can cause, the less they have to answer for in a debate. I call it tricky language. They will also use these multiple defintions to smuggle in a disputed meaning. Like if a theist continually refers to their God and their God's word and authority, and this useage isn't challeneged every time, they can assume the skeptic has accepted that the God exists and has some authority.

It takes a lot of work to keep theists corraled in logic and fact.

F1fan

Veteran Member
No, you are confusing the use of an idea with the idea, itself. A hammer can be used to pound nails, or it can be used to kill someone. The use does not define the idea, and the idea does not cause the actions they are ascribed to. Which is why we all need to be skeptical of our ideas, and of the ways we choose to apply them in the world. Faith acknowledges and accepts that skepticism, while belief rejects and ignores it. Religions that preach that faith is belief without doubt are blinding people to their own healthy and necessary skepticism, and thus enabling them to become far more emotional and illogical in their understanding and application of ideas.
Bad analogy and bad argument. Hammers aren't ideas in how you are referring to them. Hammers exist, they are tools. No one uses the idea of a hammer to pound nails, they use an actual hammer.

This has been a huge problem with how you think and write. You get caught up in abstratctions way too often. It's not an accurate way of thinking. I suspect you think this way because your God has no actual properties, so you redefine real things, like hammers, to their basic abstraction, an idea. It just doesn't work.

Not when we choose to ignore our doubts because we are being told and taught that to doubt is a sin.
These believers are being exploited by religious leadership. This is the danger of religious indoctrination. It traps otherwise smart and rational people into an illogical way of thinking, which is irrational belief.

As some modern religions are preaching, constantly. No one has faith in Donald Trump. Because faith acknowledges skepticism, and if one is skeptical at all, they will see that Trump is just a selfish psychopath. But people do "believe in" Donald Trump because they have been taught to reject their own skepticism as a sin by their religion. Making them excellent patsies for the republican party to manipulate and use to win elections.
Look at the Oath Keepers and how they trusted Trump to authorize them to attack the Capitol. They might not use the words faith or belief but using the common defintions of these two words this is how they justified their crimes. They trusted Trump, they believed he would employ the Isurrection Act. They acted stupidly, and they thoiught they would get away with it all because of faith in Trump and their duty to America.

Five Solas

What are any of you gaining from it that is not ultimately just a biased and willful ignorance of the possibility that you could always be wrong?

You changed your presupposition.
My presupposition is that the biblical God exists. God is true. God is a person. So all my arguments are based on that.

How did I come to this belief? I did not look at all the facts and made a choice. To believe in God had never been a choice for me. It just happened. Faith is from God.

However, I am now in the position to test my beliefs and stance. So far, I have not found anything to change my stance. I can test the historicity of the Scriptures and I found nothing so far to refute it. That implies that God can be trusted because He had proven Himself over thousands of years.

In short, because of my presupposition, I do not try to find proof of God or the Scriptures. Just the opposite, I try to find proof against it. I found nothing so far.

Many on this board shout prove this or prove that. I don't have to because I could not find any proof against God or the Scriptures. For me it's all true.

I have peace and I cannot lose anything.

PureX

Veteran Member

One of the things we study in philosophy is something we can call "foundational assumptions" or "premises." If I'm understanding how you parse the word "belief" correctly, what you call "beliefs" are very much like these premises. A foundational assumption or premise is something that is taken to be true and cannot be proven or disproven. From there, conclusions are drawn from the premises (e.g., assuming X, then Y logically follows). All ideologies involve foundational assumptions that are taken for granted or simply given. So when you ask something like "what is the point of belief?" one can say "because you can't create an ideology or workable worldview without granting certain assumptions upon which you draw other conclusions." We can't not believe in things, in the manner you seem to be talking about.
But we can. We do not HAVE to treat these foundational assumptions as undoubtable. We do not have to "believe in" them to establish and use them because we can do so as an act of faith, instead. We can acknowledge that this foundational premise may be flawed, or even incorrect, and still use it until it shows itself to be so. And thus, we can avoid the problem of our egos forever trying to fight any insinuation of error or failure on the part of these foundational assumptions. Which as I am sure you are aware, causes we humans no end of conflict and suffering.
By extension, psychology (and likely other social sciences, but I'm personally most familiar with psychology) also has some lessons we can draw from here. It is striking to consider that when it comes to human behavior, it does not matter what is objectively the case. Humans do not behave based on what is objectively the case, they behave based on what they believe to be the case. @mikkel_the_dane mentioned this tangentially in bringing up cognitive therapy. Assuming choice of beliefs is a thing, there is tremendous utility in choosing to believe particular things (or not) because it has very real behavioral consequences. Failing to appreciate the implications belief has on human behavior is dangerous, as can be seen in American politics these days.
And it's no small fact that the political situation in the U.S. is DIRECTLY RELATED to the ongoing habit of fundamentalist Christian churches preaching belief as the rejection of doubt and conflating faith with belief precisely for that purpose. And it is exactly these undoubting Christians that the nefarious members of a losing political party chose to manipulate and use to help them destroy our democratic system in an effort to gain and hold power.

This rejection of skepticism and doubt in relation to those foundational assumptions that you are referring to is so dangerous that it is threatening to topple the single most powerful and wealthy nation of the planet. It's already inspires one attempt at an outright coup and is about to gut what's left of the democratic process from within. And given the fact that we all seem to be helpless in the face of this new method of "brainwashing" people, I can only assume the practice is spreading and will spread to other countries in the future.

Not understanding the difference between faith and belief in those axiomatic presumptions that we all use to organize our perceptions of the world has become a flaw of monumental proportions. IMO

F1fan

Veteran Member
You changed your presupposition.
My presupposition is that the biblical God exists. God is true. God is a person. So all my arguments are based on that.

How did I come to this belief? I did not look at all the facts and made a choice. To believe in God had never been a choice for me. It just happened.
How did it just happen?

Were you living on a island that had no religions that you learned about, including Christianity, and all of a sudden there was a miraculous experience about Jesus and God?

Or when you grew up you heard other people talk about God and Jesus and Christianity, and one day you found it all appealing and meaningful?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Your comments below are what sparked my response:

Does every human being have an equal capacity to exercise logic and reason, and if so, why are beliefs not more uniform?

If every human being does not have equal capacity to exercise logic and reason, how does one evaluate their personal capacity to exercise logic and reason?

Are there other factors that affect or limit ones capacity to exercise logic and reason? If so, how does one identify and evaluate these other factors that are affecting or limiting their personal capacity to exercise logic and reason?

Everyone has the option and capacity to use logic and reason. That in no way means that everyone is going to reach the same conclusions.
Some things are more obvious than other things.

Circumstances and emotions can majorly affect one's ability to use logic and reason. That in no way means that there are not fully willful religious people that are convinced of arguments for their religion.

Logic doesn't guarantee correctness. Reason is not without flaws. One person's garbage is another person's treasure. There is no official way of being 100% correct in every situation.
Consensus doesn't mean correctness either.

You could study groups of people when it's probably more accurate to take people as individuals. There's no official logic and reason that hands people the truth of reality. Religious questions are not science questions. Religion falls under philosophy. There are ways of knowing in philosophy.

Five Solas

How did it just happen?

Were you living on a island that had no religions that you learned about, including Christianity, and all of a sudden there was a miraculous experience about Jesus and God?

Or when you grew up you heard other people talk about God and Jesus and Christianity, and one day you found it all appealing and meaningful?

I was fortunate to grow up in the faith of my fathers.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I was fortunate to grow up in the faith of my fathers.
It's called indoctrination. An immature mind has no control over what it accepts as true and conditioned to assume and believe is true. At some point the religious dogma becomes a sort of mental virus in the mind. It affects the knowledge and natural openness a mind can have.