• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I Believe" - Join host Dennis Wholey for a conversation about Buddhism - beliefs and practices

Master Vigil

This was a great video I watched just now.

I BELIEVE - Program 113 - Buddhism

One part of the discussion hit me harder than the rest. [SIZE=-1]Hyon Gak Sunim talked about our constant reaching for outside things, that makes us numb on the inside. And he used the analogy of eating a Snickers bar. It tastes so good, but after the first one is gone, we are not fulfilled. So we keep eating snickers bars, until after the 50'th bar, we want to throw up. It is no longer an enjoyable experience, this eating of the snickers bar. But the snickers bar has not changed.

What do you think about this concept?
[/SIZE]

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Negative feedback is vital in regulating the body. It's not perfect though and can be interfered with or bypassed, especially when we're subject to addictive compulsions.

Being mindful and learning just to stop - it breaks such vicious cycles. For many frustrations greater fulfilment really does come from doing less.