• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe in silent and peaceful protest, do you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do not believe voilance help to end voilance, only way to end voilance is to silently demostrate that no matter what someone do to you, they can not stop you from being you.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Violence in protest, as I see it, is never the answer. But I'm not sure silence is. But speech during protests should be productive, not toxic and insulting.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Passive resistance has proved effective in some political situations.
However, Political regimes have learned how to counter it, largely by provoking violent reactions to their own aggressive counter measures.

People are not fighting for the right to be themselves. they are largely fighting against injustice against others.
They react when they see force used against others.

You never stop violence by using violence. that is just adding fuel to the fire, and the Authorities know that perfectly well.

Demonstrations cease when the cause for them is removed and justice is seen to be done.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not believe voilance help to end voilance, only way to end voilance is to silently demostrate that no matter what someone do to you, they can not stop you from being you.

That looks good on paper and may even be effective in some situations, but sometimes violence is necessary and amounts to self-defense against persecution and abuse.

If you have the luxury of not needing to use violence to be heard or push back against oppression, I'm happy for you. But it seems to me it is quite unwise to assume the same applies to everyone else or that being peaceful and silent are universal rules that can be effectively applied to methods of protest everywhere.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

Isn't that what Falun Gong groups are doing? I saw an episode about them in the series Law and Order, "The Wheel" ("Law & Order" The Wheel (TV Episode 2002) - IMDb). They were portrayed standing silently and being "frozen" in some Qi Gong-like postures on the stairs of a court house, thereby protesting against a court decision which probably had been about one of them.

In Germany, sit-ins used to be popular in the 1980s anti-nuclear power demonstrations. They used to be punishable as "coercion", a term largely popularized by the Nazis and used to silence peaceful political opposition. Sit-ins are not silent but they seemed to draw the attention of the media. In Germany, the highest court held in 1993 that sit-ins are not "coercion" as long as you are peaceful, don't defend against being carried away and don't chain yourself to the tree / gate / object in question.

pearl

There have been peaceful protests all over the country. They're not as newsworthy.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Interesting topic. We just had a peaceful protest last night up the street. Police had their plastics against the crowd as if they were war enemies or something. 'read that the people threw water bottles at the people and officers. We just have our mask-required law from the governor. Business have the descretion of making sure customers wear masks. The protest could be lack of wanting to obey laws or feeling their freedom are limited. I just figure. Wear it where you need to. Take it off when you don't.

I heard riots were happening all over the States. I don't believe in protests. Not sure why. But I agree with the others here, silence doesn't solve anything. So, civil protest sure but not silent.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Isn't that what Falun Gong groups are doing? I saw an episode about them in the series Law and Order, "The Wheel" ("Law & Order" The Wheel (TV Episode 2002) - IMDb). They were portrayed standing silently and being "frozen" in some Qi Gong-like postures on the stairs of a court house, thereby protesting against a court decision which probably had been about one of them.

In Germany, sit-ins used to be popular in the 1980s anti-nuclear power demonstrations. They used to be punishable as "coercion", a term largely popularized by the Nazis and used to silence peaceful political opposition. Sit-ins are not silent but they seemed to draw the attention of the media. In Germany, the highest court held in 1993 that sit-ins are not "coercion" as long as you are peaceful, don't defend against being carried away and don't chain yourself to the tree / gate / object in question.
Yes we do protest in science when practicing Falun Gong and sending righteroes thoughts as a part of our practice:) and no, we do not use any force toward others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I've been to protests. For many people, as in the US right now, when there is no change, frustration builds and builds and builds. I don't approve of violence at all, yet I understand the frustration, and how somebody can go over their psychological barrier.

In some cases the protesters are protesting and angry about violence.

The Rodney King riots in Los Angeles were in 1992. That was 28 years ago. The riots happened after 4 officers were acquitted of all charges. Can you imagine what will happen if the 4 officers (3 are yet to be charged) just get acquitted?

Do you sense the frustration?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've been to protests. For many people, as in the US right now, when there is no change, frustration builds and builds and builds. I don't approve of violence at all, yet I understand the frustration, and how somebody can go over their psychological barrier.

In some cases the protesters are protesting and angry about violence.

The Rodney King riots in Los Angeles were in 1992. That was 28 years ago. The riots happened after 4 officers were acquitted of all charges. Can you imagine what will happen if the 4 officers (3 are yet to be charged) just get acquitted?

Do you sense the frustration?
Yes, i understand people getting angry, but i do not believe anger will help anyone, i heard that already more people died in the protest because of what police and military trying to do to stop them. So even more death happen because of anger.