1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured "I believe in science, I don't believe in God"

Discussion in 'Theological Concepts' started by BilliardsBall, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Rival

Rival Iiu em hotep.
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +29,051
    Religion:
    Kemetic Monotheist
    Only G-d can destroy a soul, I'm sure.

2. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +29,002
    Religion:
    None
    Does he/she/it??? Any evidence to back up that statement?

3. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,107
    Religion:
    Judaism
    respectfully, this conclusion doesn't make sense to me.

If God is a mystery, then doesn't evidence diminish the mystery thus undermining God? It seems to me that if God is a mystery, then evidence is lacking by definition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. RestlessSoul

RestlessSoul Active Member

Ratings:
    +736
    Religion:
    Agnostic Lapsed Catholic

It was a rhetorical statement.

But I do believe in God, for the record. The evidence is all around us imo, but not admissible in any court I’ve ever stood in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,107
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I'm not sure; If a soul can be destroyed, I agree. But it's still an "if" for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,333
    Religion:
    Christian
    It would depend on your definition of God. Science studies what can be perceived around us in the natural universe.

7. Rival

Rival Iiu em hotep.

Ratings:
    +29,051
    Religion:
    Kemetic Monotheist
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +16,527
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    Baruch Spinoza used "Nature" as another name for God, and Einstein said that he believed in "Spinoza's God".

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,333
    Religion:
    Christian
    I do not know much about the nature of the soul even though I believe I have one.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,528
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    I think you make a great point, however it is a commonly pressed political agenda. First look at the recent rash of so called communist countries. The USSR pressed the belief that all people could be united through science and rejection of religion. Similarly China presses for faith in the state and rejection of religion. This is also somewhat a political agenda of various actors around the world who see religion as a problem. Have you played the recent Civilization VI game? In it religion is simply another form of warfare and is sinister. Whose decision was it to push that idea?

Politicians mostly, but it also comes from spoiled teenagers and bored rich time wasters. Most everyone else is too busy to waste time on it. Then there are also those influenced by the political agenda who are less evangelistic, unless they want their party to notice how evangelistic they are. Then of course there are the usual people who've been hurt by churches or religions, or who feel outcast. We tend to be skeptical.

Its mostly political I think. When people see religion as a problem they look for alternatives, and they may attempt to claim Science is an alternative though it actually is not an alternative.

I think that it is mostly political. I don't think that the idea is growing in the secular world or is a result of permitting secular laws and secular freedoms. Its really a function of the failures of the churches. Painful as it is, the truth is that the churches failed in many ways. They failed to oppose racism and in many cases enshrined it. They failed to oppose slavery. They failed to oppose child labor. They attempted to outlaw alcohol. They helped instigate wars. They tried to suppress Science fearing that it was too secular.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,086
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    ... you assume.

12. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +29,002
    Religion:
    None

Yes i know it was rhetorical. Hence my answer

You are welcome to your beliefs and i am sure you offer me the same. To me evidence should be falsifiable.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Viker

Viker Filia Diaboli, in a shroud of metaphor and mystery

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Religion:
    LHP, Diabolism, Witchcraft
    I don't believe in science. I believe science because it makes it's self believable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. leroy

leroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +341
    Religion:
    christian
    What can I say:

The atheist/secular/skeptic community made a good job in advertising and promoting the idea that science and God are contrary ideas.

15. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +29,002
    Religion:
    None

Have they? Or do they simply recognise the science required falsifiable evidence which religion has not got

16. Viker

Viker Filia Diaboli, in a shroud of metaphor and mystery

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Religion:
    LHP, Diabolism, Witchcraft
    Where? Have they really?

I doubt it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,311
    Religion:
    ?
    So, do you feel that animals believe that "the physical, the material, is all that exists?" Meaning - you think we're separated from the animals only by our ability to believe that there is more to existence than the materials of the universe? Or are you saying that animals don't have souls from the start, and just having this "soul" is what you believe separates a human from other animals?

Both of those things are super-duper dumb, by the way. Just out and out moronic. So... I guess just pick one, I'll write you off entirely, and then you can continue superciliously high-fiving your fellow Christian believers or whatever it is you do in your free time.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,324
    Religion:
    None, a humanist who doesn't even worship humans
    May I point out that it was primarily religious institutions that ran the residential schools in Canada that basically stole children from their families to "get the Indian out of them." And who buried them by the hundreds in unmarked graves with no notification to their families when they died. Did their religion give them their sense of "justice?" The slave owners in the US south were almost all Christian -- did their Christianity provide them with their sense of love and righteousness? Or how about the almost entirely religious-based efforts to trample on the rights and even the dignity of LGBT people? Love? Righteous?

I do not have a soul, but I crave the starry night, and I'm enough of a pianist to play very beautiful music.

(My list could grow arbitrarily long, including the depredations of missionaries the world over, and the bonfires made of heretics, but I'm sure you get my point.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,566
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    I think it is unfortunate that many in our society look at belief in science and belief in God as contradictory things.

And I think in the 21st century the word 'God' needs to be given a broader definition in colloquial use. In previous centuries the word 'God' was equated with the father figure God of the Bible. Today, many believers think more broadly.

20. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +16,527
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    Much the same in Australia and the States.