• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I believe in science, I don't believe in God"

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I use the hypothesis method--if X is true, Y should be the result. For an example, the Bible promises needs met via tithing.

We know it is illogical to gain more income by giving income away, rather than say, investing it in equities or business. I've seen the tithe (and offerings) principle work so many times that I've concluded the instances go beyond coincidence. It is highly statistically unlikely that dozens of times I've received unexpected income shortly after giving money away (sometimes sacrificially/generously).
That is really rigorous testing you doing there. How have you eliminated all the other variables? One wonders.

Jeremiah Ames

I think you're missing my point.

There are plenty of things beyond the knowledge of humanity, but if someone starts spouting off knowledge claims about things beyond the knowledge of humanity, we can rightfully say that he's full of it.

Even if - somehow - the person's unjustified wild guess wound up being coincidentally true, it was still the case that the person was full of it when they made their original knowledge claim.

i get your point completely and happen to agree
and thanks for responding again

i was sort of on an introspective aside there, with my comment

i have observed within myself that the more knowledge I acquire, the more I realize how little I know

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
i get your point completely and happen to agree
and thanks for responding again

i was sort of on an introspective aside there, with my comment

i have observed within myself that the more knowledge I acquire, the more I realize how little I know
But the more you realize there is a so much opportunity to learn. Putting the point at a different angle.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I use the hypothesis method--if X is true, Y should be the result. For an example, the Bible promises needs met via tithing.

We know it is illogical to gain more income by giving income away, rather than say, investing it in equities or business. I've seen the tithe (and offerings) principle work so many times that I've concluded the instances go beyond coincidence. It is highly statistically unlikely that dozens of times I've received unexpected income shortly after giving money away (sometimes sacrificially/generously).
More than 10% of your income is from found money and unexpected gifts?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I think you're missing my point.

There are plenty of things beyond the knowledge of humanity, but if someone starts spouting off knowledge claims about things beyond the knowledge of humanity, we can rightfully say that he's full of it.

Even if - somehow - the person's unjustified wild guess wound up being coincidentally true, it was still the case that the person was full of it when they made their original knowledge claim.

There are hundreds of "lucky guesses" in the Bible--including statements that after being persecuted in each country in diaspora, the Israelites would return to Israel in the spring of 1948 and have a nation in one day, then be attacked by surrounding nations, than win despite the odds, et al -- dozens more prophecies since 1948.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I don't think the Bible has any monopoly on talking about conscience, good governing, or laws. There were philosophers who predated Jesus and came to similar realizations. It doesn't mean that they were helpless people who needed God to tell them what to do. People learn through trial and error, such as learning that poor morals can lead to bad outcomes for a community and a society.

There are many concepts which aren't very comforting. For example, our own mortality, as most people fear death and don't find it very comforting. But it also appears we don't have any real choice in the matter either.

I actually believe that a case can be made for being more at peace and comforted by the concept of a godless universe, as opposed to a universe supposedly governed by a sentient, powerful being who is actively involved in human affairs. Some people believe that "everything happens for a reason" and that everything is all part of some "divine plan" by some powerful entity who "loves" us. That belief hits a few serious roadblocks right out of the gate.

By not believing in such things, one doesn't have to expend energy or become anxious trying to come up with reasons for things which we can't explain.

You're not anxious thinking about nothingness and death?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are hundreds of "lucky guesses" in the Bible--including statements that after being persecuted in each country in diaspora, the Israelites would return to Israel in the spring of 1948 and have a nation in one day, then be attacked by surrounding nations, than win despite the odds, et al -- dozens more prophecies since 1948.
Not this nonsense again. Please.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Some people gamble money (give it away) and win big (income gain). If you have expended income and gotten a return, that is all that you are showing. You do not have a test that supports a biblical claim.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I wouldn't call it "anxious." The idea of nothingness is actually far more comforting than ideas of eternal torment in Hell that many religionists have tried to instill.

What would you call contemplating cessation of existence (and the utter meaningless of most life and action) if not "anxious"?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Some people gamble money (give it away) and win big (income gain). If you have expended income and gotten a return, that is all that you are showing. You do not have a test that supports a biblical claim.

Huh? Gaming/gambling has expected mathematical outcomes. No gambler hopes to give money away (loss).

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
How did you establish that the giving away was linked to the getting you some more?

Repeated instances in close time proximity/excessively close correlation.

One time I gave a four-figure special gift. The next day, six sales I was working on closed--totaling the gift to the penny. This is one of quite a few instances. Anecdotal until taken together with my sum testimonies and that of others, correlating with extremely high statistical improbability.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

One time I gave a four-figure special gift. The next day, six sales I was working on closed--totaling the gift to the penny. This is one of quite a few instances. Anecdotal until taken together with my sum testimonies and that of others, correlating with extremely high statistical improbability.
If you want to claim "extremeley high statistical improbability" you'd actually have to do the math.
You don't just get to collect a bunch of anecdotes together as though that somehow constitutes some kind of data.
Also, I'm sure you're aware that correlation isn't necessarily causation - you'd have to actually demonstrate the causal connection rather than just asserting it.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

You ran a statistical analysis? You're in sales? I see.