1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe in Creation ...and Evolution

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by Lady Crimson, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Can you explain further or is this another "as a matter of fact" thing?

2. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Those who will not see can not see.

3. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    True... but who is the blind one, you or me? Also, you didn't say anything about any of what I said. Do you have a comment?

4. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,231
    Religion:
    Judaism
    There is widespread if not universal scientific agreement that birds are relatively late vertebrates and that vertebrates were preceded by invertebrates - including insects.
    That science in general, and evolution in specific, reject a schema whereby 'flying' things precede 'creepy crawly things' is a matter of fact.

5. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you "Deut. 32.8". I'm glad we can agree that evolution and the Bible cannot be mixed.

6. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,231
    Religion:
    Judaism
    As am I.

7. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,193
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    Dear Passerbye,

where in the holy scriptures do you see it proclaimed that the Bible and evolution can not be mixed?

It's not there, because it's not true.

8. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,231
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Were birds created before or after ants and worms?

9. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Besides the time frame insertion there is the problem "Deut. 32.8" is presenting. Evolution shows that things went up from land things to birds. Genisis says birds came first.
    This says birds came first. That is against evolution.

Evolution says that things have always been killing and eating eachother. The Bible says:
    They were given plants to eat in the begining.

10. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,231
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Just note how well the raptor's talons and beak are adapted to salad. ;)

11. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Ever thought they could be adapted to harder to eat plants, like tree bark or something like it.
    Also... God changed the serpent after he was already made, God introduced thorns and weeds after creation was done, and so on. Why would he not have added certain evil mechanisms or curses to each creature he made to assist in their new life?

12. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,231
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Never.
    God's assistance is a curse? I guess I've never thought of it quite like that before. Thanks.

13. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    In the animal kingdom is a curse upon one creature not a blessing to another? God's assistance can come in the form of a curse.

14. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Oh, and before someone starts hounding on the "evil mechanisms" I was referring to things like poison, spikes among other things. Not necessarily evil, just a way to categorize them. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

15. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I would like to know if there is anyone who can logicly put together evolution and the Bible, and how it is done. Please bring a theory forth.
    Thank You

16. Ceridwen018

Ceridwen018 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    Certainly. Here is the idea, (I don't like referring to unscientific things as "theories"), that I used to believe:

There are two ways that one could go about this. The first would be to consider the creation stories of the Bible to be copmpletely fictitious and mythological, and interpret them as "old wives' tale" sort of stories, as can be found in nearly every religion, past and present. The purpose of these sorts of stories, and consequently, the reason why they might be included in the Bible, is that they present moral ideas and sometimes teach lessons. The idea here is that God created all living things, and that humans were severely punished for disobeying God.

Obviously, evolution fits in quite easily with this first scenaio.

Secondly, for those sticklers who insist on taking the Bible literally on all counts, there is an alternative. In the creation stories of the Bible, the word "day" is actually an incorrect translation. The correct translation comes out to mean approximately, "a period of work", as in, a full workday, or the amount of work one would do in one day, (for all of you Hebrew buffs out there, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I was always taught). The translators of the Bible simply assumed that God's "period of work" was the same as a human's "period of work", and concluded that the seven defined areas of time were actually days.

Obviously, it is safe to assume that God is not bound by time, and therefore his "period of work" could actually be millions of years instead of just one day. If you think on that scale, it seems quite possible that God could have used evolution as his mechanism for life, as he continues to do today.

Haven't you ever heard the saying, "A thousand years is but one second to the Lord"?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    It fits but this one does not acknowledge that the Bible is fully true and God's word. I guess I should have been more specific.

I don't know the language but let me quote something for you.

18. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Where in the Bible does it say that?
    Oh... I already answered this in post 219 of this thread. I will quote it here so you don't need to look all around for it.

19. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,193
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    Hey Passer bye,

have you ever made a cake? Or seen it done?

20. Passerbye

Passerbye Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have not made a cake, but I have watched people make them.... Why do you ask?